Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selection of Mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

With absolutely no disrespect to My name is URL, we don't know that. There could be a good reason and we (but more importantly, he) haven't been told.
    seamus wrote: »
    The second opens up a whole can of worms where said evidence gets twisted into speculation and the severity of the screw-up becomes an issue etc etc etc.
    So it's easier to try and not make people mods who might open the can of worms in the first place :)

Ah, but it's kinda the same thing; there could be a good reason for a mod being demodded but we haven't been told. Anyway, the pac smiley at the end of my sentence indicated it was just a hoomorous observation.

The real issue here is communication, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is there? Cos last time that was raised it was said there is not, there is a breakin in period where mods have to train in their new mod but thats it.

Yurp:
    <new mod name>,

Please find below all the forums you will need to help you through the world of Moderating.
    If you have any questions ask your fellow Mods via PM or in the Mod forum.

<snip>

You are on a probationary period which will be reviewed over the next three months.
    I would like The Economist to be your mentor over this period.

<Admin name>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I never saw the poll or the thread with it .... did I get a mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

6th wrote: »
    I never saw the poll or the thread with it .... did I get a mention?
    Yea there was 7 nominations so someone had to be 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yurp:

That was resolved already, it was questioned in the mods forum in July and the answer was there is not an official probationary period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Oh right, my mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems that, again, with a bit of communication and thought all this could have been avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hey there URL.

I'm sorry if I've left things unclear when I spoke with you - I thought I'd explained it pretty well, but obviously not. Certainly I wasn't giving you a generic answer - we did give it some consideration as obviously you're a popular member of the AH community

I don't want to get into the specifics without getting an OK from yourself URL as whilst there's nothing to hide here, it's not typically the sort of thing we discuss in public.

Dav

Oh right, my mistake :)

Duuuude, you posted in that thread.../facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dav wrote: »
    Hey there URL.

I'm sorry if I've left things unclear when I spoke with you - I thought I'd explained it pretty well, but obviously not. Certainly I wasn't giving you a generic answer - we did give it some consideration as obviously you're a popular member of the AH community

I don't want to get into the specifics without getting an OK from yourself URL as whilst there's nothing to hide here, it's not typically the sort of thing we discuss in public.

Dav

Thanks, perhaps generic wasn't the best way to describe the reasons you gave me, which were fair enough for the most part. I do think that perhaps my history was focused on too much and any good points were completely overlooked.

My main issue is with the fact that Mods and Cmods reckoned I'd be a good mod, and they're the ones with a better scope on how the forum the oversee runs.

I know I have a checkered past, and that Admins see me as someone that just uses the site to have a laugh, I just don't see how they can determine from that that I wouldn't be Mod material if given a chance

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I know I have a checkered past, and that Admins see me as someone that just uses the site to have a laugh, I just don't see how they can determine from that that I wouldn't be Mod material if given a chance
    How should we determine from that that you would be mod material if given a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

oscarBravo wrote: »
    How should we determine from that that you would be mod material if given a chance?

Well, how do you?

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Well, how do you?
    We make a judgement call. It's not always a popular one, but it's our call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aurely the opinion of forum mods and Cmods would be looked at here?

Working under the assumption that a user cannot make a transition to mod just because of how they used the site as a user is shortsighted, and a little unfair, because as a user I used the site in a completely different way than I would as a mod

I've never done anything that endangered the site, so why would I be a danger if I was Mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep your nose clean and don't end up in any Admins black book.

phasers wrote: »
    Aurely the opinion of forum mods and Cmods would be looked at here?
    They are taken into account, yes.
    Working under the assumption that a user cannot make a transition to mod just because of how they used the site as a user is shortsighted
    So, what criteria should we use?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well, how do you?

Past posting history; Does the person post in a way that makes the forum "a better place" ?; interest in respective forum ; cross-site behaviour...

would be some of mine...

They are taken into account, yes.

So, what criteria should we use?

Recommendations from those involved in running the forum in question, mostly

And a trial period if an agreement isn't reached.

It's not as if I have any interest in harming the site, why would I want to do that?

If I didn't genuinely like this place I simply wouldn't be here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

If I didn't genuinely like this place I simply wouldn't be here

Sadly whilst that is true of you the same cannot be said for others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Ponster wrote: »
    Past posting history; Does the person post in a way that makes the forum "a better place" ?; interest in respective forum ; cross-site behaviour...

would be some of mine...

Really? There was a time when the person suggesting the forum, was considered for mod. I didn't realise that boards had gotten into the the full blown "interview" stage with their moderators.

I think wayyyy tooo much credence is been given to the site being pulled down, due to a mod being a Muppet (uneducated probably), but bringing the site down out of some sort of malice, I don't think so.

We've had people who have been banned before, become mods, and I don't remember the site being down due to them. Also, this whole idea of easier to de-mod as opposed to mod, I don't really get it. Was PH not made mod (of Prison I think) by Gordon in the recent past, only for another Admin to veto that decision? There didn't seem to be much hassle then?

Recommendations from those involved in running the forum in question, mostly
    We take those into account, but they don't have ultimate responsibility for the decision. At the end of the day, we have to look at the bigger picture, and being a popular AH poster doesn't necessarily make you a good moderator.

It doesn't necessarily make you a bad one either, but - like I said - we have to make judgement calls, and sometimes they won't be popular ones.

At the end of the day, we have to look at the bigger picture, and being a popular AH poster doesn't necessarily make you a good moderator.

I think that URL's point is that should the mods and chmods pick someone to be the next mod (no idea if it happened in this case) then they aren't doing so due to popularity but because they feel the person can do the job, and that this recommendation should count for a large % towards the modship.

We take those into account, but they don't have ultimate responsibility for the decision. At the end of the day, we have to look at the bigger picture, and being a popular AH poster doesn't necessarily make you a good moderator.

It doesn't necessarily make you a bad one either, but - like I said - we have to make judgement calls, and sometimes they won't be popular ones.

That's fair enough, but when it's a case of Admin opinion of a user vs Mod experience of a user, surely there should be some compromise?

It's quite alienating for a user to have a decision taken against them based solely on opinion

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I don't know if I'm the only one, but i really don't believe the admins did anything wrong here. At the end of the day, its their decision at the end of the day as they are the people that ultimatley keep this site running.

From what I have read, URL was approached and asked "if" he would be interested if the posistion was put forward to him. It wasn't a "listen, we are gona take you as mod". The Mods and CMods of AH put forward their recommendations of who they think should be considered and the admins make a choice. Maybe a curtosey email should have been sent, but if only by the person that approached URL in the first place. I'm sure there is plenty of others who were thought of as well and possibly asked and yet i don't see any posts by them here.

As it stands, i think the admins made good strong choices and if anything, your reaction here, URL, shows that they made the right choice in not giving you mod status.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What was the mentality among the admins when Zohan and Frada were nominated? They took a shot, and it worked out quite well.

Did you just appoint 3 mods who were already just to save hassle?

IvySlayer you and I can't know the full extent and range of interactions the admins have with any mod.

The admins were made admins because they could make such calls and discriminate for the good of the site as a whole.

Really? There was a time when the person suggesting the forum, was considered for mod. I didn't realise that boards had gotten into the the full blown "interview" stage with their moderators.

Oh that still happens from time to time. Having a member suggest a new forum and for that suggestion to be accepted is a great sign that we've found someone who has something to add to the site.

Oh that still happens from time to time. Having a member suggest a new forum and for that suggestion to be accepted is a great sign that we've found someone who has something to add to the site.

Only in some cases I guess

• Advertisement

Yes but people were then proposing forums just to be made a mod and that had to stop.

My name is URL, it's a honour to be nominated, just like the oscars but you didn't get it and sometimes that's just how the academy/admins roll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement