Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield horse market

Options
  • 05-02-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is still on or has it been moved or stopped all together?

Thanks,

Rowan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Its still on. First Sunday of the month as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Yep still running, so the place will be wrecked and covered in horse crap again from this Sunday... They clean up the square itself reasonably well, but they don't clear up the surrounding areas meaning the walk to work becomes a slalom course around horse ****. [/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oh. I think I might go to this one. Never been. I must head along before it is stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Still on unfortunately. The place stinks for a week even after they "clean" it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

video a friend did for the cityoneminute website...If the link fails just choose November/ Dublin/ 11am.

http://www.cityoneminutes.org/#/dublin/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but the search box isn't helping me find it.

I work in the Smithfield area and today is Wednesday. The horse fair was held last Sunday - 3 days ago - and the place still stinks of horse s**t. The cobbles are filthy (slightly improved since Monday morning). There's sawdust everywhere.

I understood the horse fair was allowed to continue on condition the place was restored to its original state by the next day. Has this changed ?

On Monday there was one council worker - with what looked like a domestic hose - wetting the sawdust.

I sympathise with anyone living in the area as they probably had to keep their windows closed on these rare nice sunny days.

Anyone know anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I sympathise with anyone living in the area as they probably had to keep their windows closed on these rare nice sunny days.

I don't! They should have done their homework before buying and renting in Smithfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055819803

someone had the same complaint in that thread not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Well I was coming back from the Lighthouse Cinema on Sunday evening at around 9 or so and there was a small fleet of street cleaners moving around the place.

The council certainly are throwing a lot of staff and equipment at it... it's clearly not enough if they're just heading off leaving the place stinking of sh*t afterward though.

In fairness, it's just a bit of manure. Country people don't seem to complain about it wafting across the countryside. And it's only for a couple of days. The fair has been running for years, so it's not really a new occurrence / problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, manure is good for your plants. Pick it up and put it in your soi....oh wait, you don't have a garden in your apartments do you? Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I wonder how guests at the Maldron Hotel feel about having to wheel their luggage through horsesh*t after the market. It would certainly put me off ever staying there again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Noticed a fair few horses abandoned up my way recently.
    There was agroup of three or four on a green for a couple of weeks with no water and nobody looking after them.
    According to the northside people scumbag kids are buying the horses for half nothing and then abandoning them when they get sick of rallying them up and down fields.
    I cant see how legitimate horse dealers can sell nags to kids or why a horse fair has to happen in the middle of a modern city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Degsy wrote: »
    There was agroup of three or four on a green for a couple of weeks with no water and nobody looking after them.
    According to the northside people scumbag kids are buying the horses for half nothing and then abandoning them when they get sick of rallying them up and down fields.
    I cant see how legitimate horse dealers can sell nags to kids or why a horse fair has to happen in the middle of a modern city.

So you reported the abandoned horses to the ISPCA? IHWT? DSPCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

The reason why there selling them to kids is because just like every other industry in the country its suffering at the minute and they will take money where they can get it! Also not everybody selling the horses are legitmate horse dealers also.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    So you reported the abandoned horses to the ISPCA? IHWT? DSPCA?

Nope..Dublin City Council..Control of Horses Department.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Community/AnimalWelfare/Pages/Horses.aspx

The ISPCA wont get involved if the horses are on public land.

Fair play. Don't know how I forgot about that, having worked with them and the horse crews. In my defense it was years ago. Good to see someone doing something rather then just washing their hands of the situation.

Fair play. Don't know how I forgot about that, having worked with them and the horse crews. In my defense it was years ago. Good to see someone doing something rather then just washing their hands of the situation.

In fairness i'm not easily moved but what i've seen recently is a disgrace.
    Horses standing for days and weeks without water or shleter,bones poking through thier skin,lumps missing from thier flanks etc while the shiitheads responsible are snoring cosily in thier taxpayer-funded houses.
    Top say nothing of the piles of horse dung all over the green spaces that the council has to maintain..horse manure is dangerous where kids are playing too as it contains tetanus germs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've been through Smithfield a few times this week and it seemed worse than normal. What were they feeding the horses lately? Jaysus, it was still stinking this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In fairness i'm not easily moved but what i've seen recently is a disgrace.
    Horses standing for days and weeks without water or shleter,bones poking through thier skin,lumps missing from thier flanks etc while the shiitheads responsible are snoring cosily in thier taxpayer-funded houses.
    Top say nothing of the piles of horse dung all over the green spaces that the council has to maintain..horse manure is dangerous where kids are playing too as it contains tetanus germs.

f**ing amen, I'm living beside a field where these gobsh*tes keep horses, those poor beasts are out there tied to a lampost in snow rain and hail with no shelter, water or feed and the council want to put up a statue as a monument to such scumbaggery right beside this patch of grass.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've been through Smithfield a few times this week and it seemed worse than normal. What were they feeding the horses lately? Jaysus, it was still stinking this morning.

Maybe something to do with this strange phenomenon that we are having at the moment, dry weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

foreign wrote: »
    Maybe something to do with this strange phenomenon that we are having at the moment, dry weather!

Maybe but even on the day of the market there seemed to be a lot more sh*te around than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Maybe but even on the day of the market there seemed to be a lot more sh*te around than usual.

Yep. It did look particularly bad on Sunday.

Flutternbantam to aisle 2 :D

There seemed to be a lot more horses there then usual on sunday.

Also, I know it can be quite easy to tar all the horse traders with the same brush (i.e. scumbags who couldn't give a cr@p about their animals welfare) but I did see a lot of really well kept horses there on sunday.

There seemed to be a lot more horses there then usual on sunday.

Also, I know it can be quite easy to tar all the horse traders with the same brush (i.e. scumbags who couldn't give a cr@p about their animals welfare) but I did see a lot of really well kept horses there on sunday.

Well let them trade them out in the countryside where they horses belong..not being raced up and down cobbled streets by pikeys.

Advertisement