Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving trees and planting a hedge

Options
  • 05-02-2010 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I want to move 5 saplings that a landscaper planted outside our sunroom (too close to house and blocking the view). When I replant them, do they need compost in the new hole for food or is it ok to plant them in the soil as is.

I also want to plant a hedge out front to block off the view from the road. I plan on using Laurel as it grows fast and it's evergreen. Is this a good time of year to plant these and what is the recommended spread between the individual laurels?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the soil where you are taking them to is the same as where they are, you should be able to move them straight across. If the trees have been in less than a year it will not be any problem. If they are a bit more mature than that, dig a good sized root ball, making sure you dig down well to get most of the main root(s). Ease them onto a piece of sacking or plastic and carry to the new hole, make sure it is deep enough and backfill the hole.
    Water frequently through the summer (unless its like the last two 'summers')
    What kind of trees are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billy C

Best practice and what I leaned in college is that you should NOT improve the soil with compost or anything else or the roots will only develop in this area and then not progress. You chould put down some mulch (compost or bark) at ground level around the base of the plant but not touching it. Make sure the levels stay the same. Laurels should be about 50 cms apart..... same goes for them:Mulch on the surface is better than soil improving, unless you do this in a really big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billy C

Meant to say Yes, this is a good time to plant:plenty of rain and time for the roots develop before the 'dry' summer - if only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll be busy next weekend!

Advertisement