Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transport

Options
  • 05-02-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi folks,

New puppy mammy here. I have been walking him loads but would really love to be able to bring him to the beach, Marley park dog park, etc. I was windering how people without cars address transporting their dogs to a nice place for them to play. I live in Cabra and although it is quite near the phoenix pk I would love other options.

I dont suppose anyone here has any ideas? I wish you could take pups on the bus/dart like in other parts of Europe. Once they are trained fully and there is a soilage charge or something it shouldnt be a massive problem :confused:

I had thought of investing in a bike trailer for him, has anyone used one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think bus/train depends on the driver alot of the time. I used to be able to bring my little terrier on the bus, I'd ask the driver nicely and most of them would say 'go on'!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭queera

I think bus/train depends on the driver alot of the time. I used to be able to bring my little terrier on the bus, I'd ask the driver nicely and most of them would say 'go on'!

Really! I must give it a go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Slightly OT but presuming your new dog is a pup and you are walking it *loads* - you need to be careful not to overdo the exercise if indeed you have a pup. It will do more damage than good in the long run for his physical development.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cherrybomb

You could always get one of those Doggie Pushchairs for him. Seen them for sale at last years St Patricks Day dog show, expensive but very cute

PS Hi everyone, Im new hope you dont mind the post couldnt find an introduction topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Dogs aren't allowed on the DART, but going on the bus is entirely at the discretion of the driver. Some don't bat an eyelid but others insist the dog is muzzled before he's allowed on. Other drivers just say no regardless. A few drivers have objected to my lab/collie cross but I've never had any objections to my JRT crosses. The smaller the dog the more likelier the bus driver is to think it's a harmless little thing (if only they knew)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭queera

EGAR wrote: »
    Slightly OT but presuming your new dog is a pup and you are walking it *loads* - you need to be careful not to overdo the exercise if indeed you have a pup. It will do more damage than good in the long run for his physical development.

I am walking it as much as is recommended for a pup his age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Most bus drivers should let you on if hes quiet. It does say on their website that they dont allow animals, but i think most drivers are fairly sound that way as long as it doesnt cause hassle for other passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

This link may be of use to you. http://www.irishrail.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=38

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i've brought my dogs on both the bus and the train.

Buses are entirely at the driver's discretion. I've found that quieter times and Eastern European drivers are more likely to let you on.

Irish Rail does my head in. They say that dogs can travel crated in the guard's van, but they've done away with guard's vans, making it impossible to follow the rules. I've only been stopped once, by a complete jobsworth, but my case was argued by her colleagues. My terriers travel well and are crated on the train.

Advertisement