Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving - Electronics and voltage

Options
  • 05-02-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,
    Wondering if other's have shipped their tv's from Ireland to North America?

I am interested in taking an xbox and possibly 2 lcd tv's. The 2 issues seem to be power and video

Ive read the following:
    Xbox
    power - can purchase a US power block and this will power an EU xbox. Or use a power converter (not a plug adapter)
    video - will not work on ntsc tv's using traditional connectors. Will work on HD ntsc tv's but only with HDMI connector.
    -some games region free, others will have be purchased online and shipped from here.

LCD TV
    power - cannot simply switch power lead, must use a power converter.

?Video? - I do not know if ntsc cable boxes will work on PAL HD tv using a/v cables (not hdmi cables)

I am not sure if it would make more sense to sell the 2 tv's here and purchase 1 over there? (they are expensive there.) It would seem a shame to have to get rid of them if I don't have to.

I am wondering what other people's experiences were. If someone has done something like that, did they regret it and end up having to buy a tv there?
    Any info would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I used to work in video production years ago.

But i'm not sure about the NTSC/PAL switchability of new multi-resolution tv's.

My new HDTV seems to be able to handle many resolutions so why not PAL? Probably just because nobody has bothered to write that functionality into it. And thats the problem.

To be safe I'd sell and then buy again when you get here. Who knows what other kinds of incompatibilities there may be? You can have issues with the converters too, i'd heard they're okay for simple things like a hair dryer or a charger but not so good for computers (or tv's).

Advertisement