Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip in the Snow....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

BeattyWeb wrote: »
    I would love to get some feedback here as I am at a loss as to where/what to do next

On the 6th of January I had to attend an emergency meeting Dublin. When I was returning to Leixlip on the Palmerstown Dual Carriageway during heavy snow blizzards I tipped the guy in front of me. He was driving a battered 1996 Fiat Cinquecento…. Now when I say tipped… I mean tipped. Garda on scene confirmed impact was at 4 miles per hour and put cause down to road conditions as opposed to bad driving. There is no way in hell that these two guys could have been injured. Even the ambulance refused to take them. My car was assessed by Axa and they confirmed no damage at all. The 2 Guys in the Cinquecento have put in personal injury claims aginst me..

They Guy I tipped did not own the car and the garda also told me that he did not have a valid driving license. (it was out of date)

This is the only incident I have had in a company vehicle in the 12 years that I have been driving. The Car is due to be handed back to the leasing company in the next few weeks and I hve to move to personal insurance

Insurance Companies are hesitant to quote me and the best quotes I can get at the moment are 5 thousand per year… For a 05 Hyandai Santa fe 2 ltr Petrol

WHat are your thoughts on this...

Thanks..

BeattyWeb

First things 1st the claim the 2 individuals that you crashed into is a civil matter as its up to your insurance company investigate if neccessary.

How did the Gardai confirm impact at 4mph? Were the gardai accident investigation team called to the scene and mark out the postions of the vehicles assess damage etc etc? BTW its highly usual for this to happen unless there has been a fatality or there is a risk of death or serious injury for one of the occupants of the vehicles involved.

It would be extremely unprofessional for a gardai to express their opinion regards damage etc at the scene of the accident as they are there to remain impartial and to ensure details etc are exchanged.

The matter regards the expried license and the car being driven other than the owner (with their consent) will be investigated and charges brought by the gardai for failing to conform to the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Actually most insurers will give a discount for having driven a company car for a number of years. In my case I got a full no-claims bonus as an introductory offer. At this point there are no actual claims paid out either.

I took a worst case scenario of zero history, zero NCB with a claim and yet the quote for comprehensive still came in less than €1300; which makes the OP's quotes of €6100 on a 1.4 Megane even more odd. Of course my quotes are only initial estimates and there may be something, eg medical conditions, that the OP rightly hasn't disclosed on a public forum which might make him a significantly higher risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the op has stated that their quotes are all being loaded because there is an unsettled claim on their record and untill it is settled and a cost calculated their insurance quotes are going to be huge! The example quote given above has a recent claim of 15k which was settled so the company are aware of the cost but when a claim remains unsettled they assume it could cost millions or the maximum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

beattywebb , were you with Quinn? I have a friend that evaluates, accidents for Quinn he deals with bogus claims daily. Approx 60% of neck and back injuries are totally bogus. This is from 12 years experience working for them.

His job is mainly to find out if the other side, is totally compliant with law, I.E. insurance small print, it could help you a lot.

Give me a P.M. and I will call you. See if you can hitch up with my mate.

He helped me no end.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

threaten them with a counter claim for mental anguish and suffering, which should their case be thrown out as frivilous will almost certainly be found in your favour

they're alot less likely to proceed with the knowledge that if their case is thrown out they could be seriously out of pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I had an own fault accident a couple of years ago now, I had my full licence for only 3 months at the time and I was insured under someone else at the time. When it came to insuring myself the following October the cheapest insurance I was quoted was €1064 from Quinn and that was with an open personal injury claim against me:(

What galled me was the minute the other person came out of the car I banged into, this person said my neck is sore:mad: From research into neck injuries I saw that it takes a while for "whiplash" symptoms to appear. Anyway I saw the doctors report, which didn't really back up the list of injuries claimed for. Still, the other person got about €15,000 in compensation:rolleyes:

Last octobers insurance came in at €623, which isn't too bad considering. I'd def ring around more OP, the quotes you have gotten sound extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just wondering - why were there Gardai & Ambulance called to the scene if it was such a minor tip?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

olaola wrote: »
    Just wondering - why were there Gardai & Ambulance called to the scene if it was such a minor tip?
    May have been at a bad spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

am I the only one sensing something a little wiffy here?

Sorry for the insinuation if I am wrong.

Advertisement