Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Login Go To

Options
  • 05-02-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Just thought it would be handy to have an option in User CP that you can choose to have a certain forum / page displayed when you login. Rather than the page you were on when you logged in.

Example options could be:
    - <<Forum Name>> such as After Hours etc. Choose any forum you want.
    - List of (links to) subbed forums & threads
    - All new posts since last login
    - PM Inbox
    - Threads you posted in previously which have new posts

Anyone with me on this? Not sure if it's possible with vbulletin but would be a nice feature. If it's there but I'm too dumb to find it, I'll blame you and say you just added it in now. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is one of those things which I see absolutely zero use for (because I'm always logged in), but I can see how other people may find it useful. Not a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

The reason I'm bringing it up is because 90% of the time I spend on boards, I should be working. So I'm constantly exiting out of the browser when I hear footsteps. Also, not staying logged in because it's a shared computer. Means I log in about 20 times a day, then wait for the page to load, wait for drop down menus to load, then wait for the forum to load.

That's about 8 seconds per login x 20 logins a day is 160 seconds x 5 days a week = 800 seconds which is nearly 15 minutes a week, an hour a month and half a day per year.

Then again, why do I care about saving time when I'm sitting in work on boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You mean to be directed to your Control Panel when you log in?

Not neccessarily. You set the default so you can go to your CP or you can set it to automagically send you to your fave forum, or show you all new posts since last login, all new posts in subbed forums since last login, whatever.

In general, I log in, then hit the AH forum 95% of the time. I'd like the option that when I log in, the screen comes up "Thank you for logging in Ciaran187" then I land in AH.

I'd also like the option that I log in then land on a page "What do you want to do" followed by a list of links:
    - User CP
    - All new posts in all forums since last visit
    - etc

Users could choose any of those options as their default post-login landing page.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would it help to type part of the forum name into the address bar using firefox 3.x?
    I sometimes do that to quickly find a thread or forum.

• Advertisement

I know of a few workarounds to this but I mainly use boards in work. I have Internet Explorer 6 in a tiny window at the bottom of my screen. Slightly bigger than the quick-reply box. The address bar is very squished too. This helps me appear to be working when I'm on boards.

It was just an idea but thinking about how it could be done in practice, it seems like too much work for a very small convenience that will only be used by a small portion of members.

Maybe it's not a great idea at the min but if you're ever coding your own forum, might be one to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The way I roll is..

Email notification of posts on threads I subscribe to.

Refresh the After Hours (and few other forums) that I have bookmarked to see new posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Would it help to type part of the forum name into the address bar using firefox 3.x?
    I sometimes do that to quickly find a thread or forum.

That is handy or subscribe to the particular board and it appears under subbed at the top or in the User CP after the thread notifications.

You could also use Speeddial, a Firefox addon, Speed Dial :: Add-ons for Firefox and use it as a home page or new tab page.

I use faviconize tab as well, FaviconizeTab :: Add-ons for Firefox, to have a few pages open when I open the browser. That may suit you even better.

Edit: forgot you had a shared computer!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why not just bookmark the Forum and then login from that Forum's Page? It would be the same thing, but wouldnt require a bunch of back-end programmery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Overheal wrote: »
    Why not just bookmark the Forum and then login from that Forum's Page? It would be the same thing, but wouldnt require a bunch of back-end programmery.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. I have three bookmarks to boards.ie...all for the forums I regularly visit. I dont think I have seen the front page in about 5 years I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is it possible to be able to reply to the "noreply" email updates, with a post direct to the thread?

Facebook do this now.

Advertisement