Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a contactor with lights

Options
  • 05-02-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Thinking bout using this to control 2 lighting circuits on one switch, save on cable, just run 3 core 1.5mm out to switch and then go straight from the board to the lights (2.5mm) using the contactor.

If there on for an average of 3 hours a day, would there be a problem with the contactor after a while with it being held on for 3 hours or am I worrying about nothin? What price are these in wholesalers?

image_3365.jpg

Also any idea where I can get a coin operated meter for the lights, not having any luck with google.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

contactors are commonly used for emergency lighting(n/c)

and general lighting

run a 4-core to your switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 americanpie

Why is it necessary for a 4 core?

the 4-core will give you the 2 phase colours
    unless you're using singles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 americanpie

But if I;m only using the switch to activate the contactor I will only need 3 core, I can sleeve the neutral or the earth and use it as the switch wire

the diy guys can do that

us registered guys have to spend the extra on the right colours:D

a 4-core flex or 5-core nym will do for coin-meter control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

u could use a brown/brown twin and earth cable then ud have the proper phase colours contactor will also need a neutral,you shud have no prob using this contactor for any length of time there very commonly used for lights not sure on price though,if u only need to control 2 circuits a 2 pole contactor will be cheaper (4 pole contacter in above pic)

just keep in mind any risk from 'blackouts' when designing a lighting system with coin-meters

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

I can sleeve the neutral or the earth and use it as the switch wire
    Noooooooooooo.

Advertisement