Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No decent shops in Ennis

• 05-02-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

There was a letter in this week's local papers from a Labour Party representative giving out about the fact that Ennis has no third level institution, while smaller towns like Sligo etc have them. Fair point. Got me thinking though, that Ennis hasn't really developed at all since the 80s. We have no high street shops like A-wear, River Island, Top Shop etc. Why? We all know that there is a massive volume of shoppers and money leaving this town for Limerick and Galway. Why have the Ennis Town Council and the Chamber of Commerce done nothing to modernise the shopping in our town. Are small boutiques worried that these shops will steal all the trade? But wouldn't having them keep people in the town and increase volume of trade, for instance if you couldn't find anything in the High street stores you might try the boutiques. And wouldn't there be a great spin off trade for cafes and restaurants. And it would increase local jobs and employment. I have heard people say that these shops won't come here precisely because we are too close to Limk and Galway, is this correct. Does anyone know anything about this or have any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

you hit the nail on the head.
    Geographicly we are too close to the midwest's largest cities.
    We do not have the population necessary to support these shops.
    Half hour drive to limerick, 45 minutes to galway. No large chain brand would risk investing here.
    That on it's own makes for a unique town. Strolling around ennis on a saturday can be quiet enjoyable. We have what a lot of other towns would love to have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As already has been said, it's cause of the location of Ennis to the 2 cities, but more importantly it's that Ennis is a commuter town where most of the population work in different locations (Shannon, Limerick, Galway) so the chance of casual trade during the day would be reduced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

I hadn't considered the commuter town element of the equation. Very true. Poor Ennis. Stuck between Limerick and Galway, and having no third level institution. I know it can be pleasant to stroll about and I suppose the fact that some shops have been there for years shows that businesses are viable enough... tis a pity to see so much business leave it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The small traders, the chamber of commerce and the Town Council live in each other's pockets.
    Together they have so far successfully blocked anything new coming into town since Dunnes Stores.
    So basically the town in that aspect is run by the people who have the small and poky shops on Abbey Street and O'Connel Street.
    They are opposed to any form of bypass, pedestrianisation, out of town shopping, any other shopping areas and any other changes to the town whatsoever.
    And because Ennis is run by a bunch of thick, ageing business mafia types you get the feeling that you've somehow travelled back in time for 50 years when you're in the town center.
    Maybe we should advertise that fact. Come to Ennis, the Town That Time Forgot!
    It's only in the last 3-4 years that the crust is finally starting to break and things are slowly moving.
    But I have spoken to one or two shop owners of the 1950's gang who think that bypassing the town, pedestrianising the center, providing seating and generally making the town anything other than the frustrating hole it is now is commercial suicide and will never work.
    We should listen to them and then do the exact opposite.
    Nobody is owed a living, the town has got to move on and unless we want to become some amusing little relic (not pretty enough) or some dank, dead hole (getting there), the town of Ennis needs some serious sprucing up.
    Move Dunnes, Tescos and Aldi to an out of town shopping center along with the sports grounds, pedestrianise the entire center, provide proper parking facilities for a decent price and would it kill anyone to provide some seating around the place?

Ya Dr. Fuzzenstein, seems like there is no plan at all to see the town into the future. Where are people's heads. I see a pilot pedestrianisation is going ahead in May, long time after the idea was first mooted. Was that planning permission for redevelopment of Cusack Park rejected, it all took so long anyway it would never have gone ahead what with credit crunch and property crash. I pretty much see the same town I saw years ago and now with all those empty shops its really started to look a bit pre-Urban Renewal. Maybe next Christmas the Town Council won't have enough money for the Christmas lights and we'll have those sad little Christmas tree things with the few lanterns hanging up again. Wish I was into nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

What the feck are you talking about? This is the one advantage Ennis has over everywhere else. You go to any town in the UK, and increasingly in Ireland and there are the exact same shops everywhere. Nothing but chains. Every town is the same. I'm mad into my clothes but now I can get the same stuff in Galway, Limerick or Cork. There's no point in going to all three anymore. Even the TK Maxx outlets have 90% of the same stock.

When I used to work in Club Dangan there were people coming in from Cork and buying a 800 euros worth of clothes every 6 months because they said they couldn't find the stuff they wanted anywhere else. If there was a H&M or Zara in town half the mens shops in town would have to close overnight.

Now there's vacant premises all over town we're probably going to get more multinationals turning up. It'll be chain, poundshop, mobile phone shop, chain, poundshop the length of O'Connell St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Shops where already having a hard time two years ago in Ennis (and everywhere).
    But the geniuses at the town council came up with a plan: Increase rates by 20%!
    That will make up for 20% lost revenue due to shops closing down.
    This has of course resulted in a rapid acceleration of shops going out of business.
    Now that most of the leftover relics from the 50's are gone and the town is empty,
    multi nationals can really go on the attack.
    Ennis town council now has the choice of a ghost town or a multi national chains ghetto.
    By artificially keeping the past on life support, Ennis town has created a vacuum that needs to be filled.
    Now they'll eventually get desperate and not too picky as to who gets in, as long as the town
    isn't left empty.
    And in the end it'll be infinitely worse, since Ennis isn't big enough to sustain large chains,
    it will be overrun by cheap, tacky shops like the 2 Euro shop.

[QUOTE= It'll be chain, poundshop, mobile phone shop, chain, poundshop the length of O'Connell St.[/QUOTE]

If you leave out the chain part of the equation I think we already have the rest, and a chain that people will want to shop in, the teens to 35 age group I mean (the biggest spenders on clothing) will be good for the town and business. Got to be better than having the business leaving for bigger cities nearby. I take the point regarding shops like Club Dangan, nothing wrong with them but people want choice and will go elsewhere for it. Ennis is stuck in a timewarp and it will die if it stays in one. It has a lot going for it, its pretty with nice architecture and unusual streetscape, a few high street stores aren't going to take from that at all. I reckon there has been a very closed approach to development of the town along the lines Dr. Fuzzenstein has outlined and it hasn't helped it one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ollaetta

katkin wrote: »
      I see a pilot pedestrianisation is going ahead in May

Is that for definite? I can't seem to get any info on it anywhere. Should have been done years ago.

1. Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I think that Ennis should be pedestrianised, I think it would be the making of the town, close off O'Connell St. and Abbey St, leave the car parks open and allow a "loop" around the town, all the businesses would still be able to get deliveries, through the lane ways around. I also think that the "Market" should be moved to Moran's car park, setup permanent stalls around, put a canopy around the top, it has fantastic potential, would also free up the Market for parking on a Saturday

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think it really matters one way or the other. Most of the time there aren't that many people in town that the pavements are too crowded. Let them pedestrianize the town center for festivals or busy days.

4. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

On many days Ennis is quite busy.
      Personally I wouldn't go into Ennis if you paid me because of the very narrow sidewalks.
      Going into Ennis is one of the most unpleasant things to do for exactly that reason.
      I drive to Shannon, free parking and no cars trying to mow me down.
      And I have 2 hours to do my shopping without having to worry about getting a ticket.
      In Ennis it's like escape from New York, the clocks ticking and unless you want to end up with a hefty fine, you gotta get a move on.
      Ennis is anything but relaxing, it's horrid, crowded, stressful and everyone is trying to ram you off the sidewalk.
      And of course crowds of people standing in the middle of it, blocking it and not moving for anything.
      Many people have realised that you'd want to be an idiot to want to go to Ennis town center
      and therefore they don't.
      Just have a look at the "market" on a Saturday.
      Cars, stalls, people, animals and children all jostling for the same space.
      I want to install a webcam overlooking the scene, because when I say to my friends abroad
      that the market in Ennis is best described as "Muppet bumpercars on acid" they simply don't believe me.
      So it's Shannon or Coonagh for me, because if I wanted to go to Ennis I'd have to have a lobotomy first.

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Alot of the river islands, topshops etc were prepared to come to ennis if that shopping centre in cusack park was ever built.
      However considering that the shopping centre will never happen now, and the recession they arent likely to come to ennis any time soon.
      We're too small an urban area and too close to Galway and Limerick and we have no 3rd level institution to keep/bring in young people.

6. Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I knew understand why shops in Ennis open at 9 and close at 6, with most people working away from town I also thought it would make more sense for them to open later and stay open later

7. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

On many days Ennis is quite busy.
      Personally I wouldn't go into Ennis if you paid me because of the very narrow sidewalks.
      Going into Ennis is one of the most unpleasant things to do for exactly that reason.
      I drive to Shannon, free parking and no cars trying to mow me down.
      And I have 2 hours to do my shopping without having to worry about getting a ticket.
      In Ennis it's like escape from New York, the clocks ticking and unless you want to end up with a hefty fine, you gotta get a move on.
      Ennis is anything but relaxing, it's horrid, crowded, stressful and everyone is trying to ram you off the sidewalk.
      And of course crowds of people standing in the middle of it, blocking it and not moving for anything.
      Many people have realised that you'd want to be an idiot to want to go to Ennis town center
      and therefore they don't.
      Just have a look at the "market" on a Saturday.
      Cars, stalls, people, animals and children all jostling for the same space.
      I want to install a webcam overlooking the scene, because when I say to my friends abroad
      that the market in Ennis is best described as "Muppet bumpercars on acid" they simply don't believe me.
      So it's Shannon or Coonagh for me, because if I wanted to go to Ennis I'd have to have a lobotomy first.

Ennis has a hot country soul and third world planning, hence the mayhem Market on Saturday and us all liking to be up close. Shannon and Coonagh are good for a fast shop but them's lonely places.

8. Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ennis was never designed for cars, I would almost go as far as to say that Ennis was never designed :) It is an island with narrow streets and buildings with no apparent layout to where they are, the Market has to be 1 of the weirdest laid out areas in Ireland, I'm amazed that there isn't someone knocked down on a daily basis

9. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Amen!
      It doesn't take a genius to work it out.
      Bigger shops, like Tescos, Dunnes and Aldi should never be in a town center.
      And then having a sports park on top of it is just loonacy.
      Move all those out of town along with the A-wears and topshops (and whatever chains want to be in on it)
      Pedestrianise the center, because as pointed out here before, cars where never meant to go there.
      Then you can have a lovely town center where you can walk in peace without being pushed under a car.
      And if you want to shop it's not a race against time before your ticket runs out.
      An ape and a 6 year old could work it out, but sadly Ennis town council does not have the resources of such towering intellects.

10. Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Here comes my little rant, apologies in advance :)

Most Irish towns evolved from either religious or millitary or industrial bases, in Ennis it was religious, 30 years ago Quinsworth and the GAA got some cheap(ish) land and built locations suitable for their needs at the time in a location close to the town center but far enough away, now they are pretty much in the center of town. Tesco identified a need to move but due to NIMBY they were refused permission to relocate to another location, so they are staying where they are. The GAA tried to move, but thankfully this didn't happen.

Ennis is a great little town that is totally choked with traffic,since the by-pass it has gotten better, if they were to pedestrianize it it would get better again (think Shop St. in Galway). There also an empty shopping area out in Ballymaley that businesses clearly don't see as feasible

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

We could do with an Easons and HMV here

12. Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

branie wrote: »
      We could do with an Easons and HMV here
      That's a no brainer !!
      We are perfectly served with existing book shops.
      Ennis book shop on Abbey street, mahoneys, Hughes&Hughes, and the gem of them all is the second hand shop in the market square. The town cannot support any more book shops.

Bring in HMV and see how long the Record Rack will survive.
      Record rack has served this town well, reasonable prices and a good employer .
      If it's not broken , Don't fix it..

13. Advertisement
    14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

HMV is on its knees these days. Bet you they'll be out of business in a few more years. All those big chain music/dvd/games shops are going to be put out of business by digital downloads. Xtravision will pick up whatever customers are left.

Personally I hate the idea of everything being out of town in industrial estates. I live a mile out of town and I like popping down town picking up a few things and getting everything in one outing. If you had to go to the Doora, Kilrush and Galway roads to pick up your shopping it'd soon get irritating, even if you weren't on foot.

Alternatively if I'm driving I park just outside the parking zone, or often within it they don't patrol the outskirts often if at all. I don't get peoples annoyance with walking around town. I don't find it a hassle at all. I'm only ever aware of bumping or walking into people when I'm in Dublin or Cork. And when it comes to traffic I'm one of those people who horrifies all my friends by stepping out in front of cars without paying any attention in town main streets because I figure they'll stop rather than run me over at 15 mph.

15. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And when it comes to traffic I'm one of those people who horrifies all my friends by stepping out in front of cars without paying any attention in town main streets because I figure they'll stop rather than run me over at 15 mph.

That's a dangerous game you're playing right there, one day you'll step out in front of one of those dozy old gits that keep pulling out on me without looking because they figure I see them.
      Of course you are right that in a town drivers should pay special attention to pedestrians.
      You'll be in hospital too, so watch out for dozy motorists, plenty of them about. ;)

And my idea of shopping is to go to a big mall, drive in, choose one of the many, many empty spaces, wander in with no regard for the time, spend one or two hours shopping, get a bite to eat and consider whether to go to the cinema.
      And all this time not have a single care if motorists are paying attention (none allowed in the mall unlike Ennis), if my car is getting vandalised (secure parking), not worry if the meter is running out (free parking), plus having shops like Zara and H&M, HMV and tons of others.
      For cold, rainy days (yes, the roof really clinches it for me) you can't beat it and even though the Crescent is frequented by many people who may look a bit rough, I've never had a single problem there in the years I've been shopping there.

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

ollaetta wrote: »
      Is that for definite? I can't seem to get any info on it anywhere. Should have been done years ago.

It was in last week's Clare Champion, I can't remember the details, don't think it's all week but for part of it. Might be on the online Clare Champion page.

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

That's a dangerous game you're playing right there, one day you'll step out in front of one of those dozy old gits that keep pulling out on me without looking because they figure I see them.
      Of course you are right that in a town drivers should pay special attention to pedestrians.
      You'll be in hospital too, so watch out for dozy motorists, plenty of them about. ;)

And my idea of shopping is to go to a big mall, drive in, choose one of the many, many empty spaces, wander in with no regard for the time, spend one or two hours shopping, get a bite to eat and consider whether to go to the cinema.
      And all this time not have a single care if motorists are paying attention (none allowed in the mall unlike Ennis), if my car is getting vandalised (secure parking), not worry if the meter is running out (free parking), plus having shops like Zara and H&M, HMV and tons of others.
      For cold, rainy days (yes, the roof really clinches it for me) you can't beat it and even though the Crescent is frequented by many people who may look a bit rough, I've never had a single problem there in the years I've been shopping there.

I usually make eye contact with the driver I'm stepping in front of. When you do that they usually glare at you and stop. If you were waiting for someone to stop and let you cross you'd be there all day. :D

I agree that the mall is a pleasant experience from time to time. But I think it's better for Ennis in the long run to have a unique shopping experience with independent shops. Otherwise why would anybody shop here instead of in Limerick where they have bigger shops and chains. Much of Limerick city center is absolutely dead since everything moved out to the Crescent and I don't think that's a good thing. I'd rather things were too crowded and uncomfortable than everything turn into an American style mall experience. Granted with the kind of weather we have in Ireland there's a lot of advantages to malls, but independents don't generally thrive in them.

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Stop worrying about the parking, In 5 years Ive never paid for parking in Ennis, Id go in once or twice a week for a feew hours, and have never got a ticket.

19. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Seems your idea of good shopping is a soulless SC full of chains who all stock the same ****.

20. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Have you seen some of the shops along O'Connel and Abbey street?
      Yes, if I wanted to wear clothing that would make me look slightly out of date in a 1950's cattle mart, I'd shop there.
      One shop at the top of O'Connel street springs to mind, the latest country wear from the turn of the wrong century.
      It's usually ok with tickets, I have received about 3 in 5 years, but it's constantly nagging at you at the back of your mind, you can never really relax.
      Having said that I was in Galway this weekend (would enjoy going there if I've just lost my marbles) and parking is E2.60 per hour! FFS! Combined with a maddening one way system and the 60 km/h horror drive there I would say that I'd rather go to Ennis than Galway.
      Thankfully have managed to only have to go to Galway about 5 times in as many years and every time wish I hadn't.
      Ennis needs a lot of work, pedestrianisation and a few more shops and it could be a lovely little town.
      But right now walk through Ennis and count the number of vacant shops vs. occupied ones.
      It makes for grim statistics and the balance is shifting towards empty shops, that means a living cannot be made by running a shop in Ennis.
      I know people who are running shops in Ennis and the picture does look grim.
      The way it's going running any kind of business in Ennis town simply is not an option.

21. Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

The streets of Bath for me is a very nice balance between the large chains and smaller retailers...both survive very well because the chains get their clientelle but the smaller shops are what brings tourists to Bath (along with the history of the town). What Ennis needs in my opinion is more range in their smaller shops....gifts like spaceform (if anywhere sells this let me know) are missing from the town and the only gadget shop sadly disappeared but we have chemists out our ears (how sick are the people of ennis!) and shops of tat all over the place.
      To the comment of we don't need an easons....it was only until Hughes&Hughes arrived that a decent selection of magazines became available and it is still a poor selection compared to what is on offer in an easons....off to Limerick/Galway with you if you want anything specialised :)
      I would like to see Ennis pedestrianised as I honestly see no reason for it not to be....deliveries could still make use of the streets between certain hours as happens in most pedestrianised areas and I believe it would make shopping or wandering in Ennis a far more pleasant experience.

22. Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I was right ! Ennis cannot substain anymore book shops.
      Hughes & Hughes has just filed for receivership....
      Not that the ennis store brought down the whole chain,
      We won't see Easons anytime soon in town.

23. Advertisement
    24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

That's sad news. It was a good bookshop, well laid out, bright and cheerful, a great kid's section. Am sorry for the staff.

25. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Was reading in the Indo that H&H's closure is a result of ridiculously rushed over expansion rather than there being a big downturn in bookshop trade. Feel sorry for the staff. They were all really sound in there, Shannon airport staff as well.

Has the Puccinos chain gone awry? I see the place opposite Dunnes seems to be going independent. I hope their sandwiches are as nice as the old ones.

26. Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

As you made the point yourself...the whole chain went not the Ennis branch alone. For all we know the Ennis branch may have been making a profit (I have no idea)....Ennis needed the competition H&H brought with it as well as a nice light, spacious, well stocked bookstore which it now sadly no longer has.

27. Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sandi000

Ennis is known as boutique capital of Ireland!! if u went to lim u wont find any shops selling designer clothes like cornocopia,top brands, or young world for childrens brands,wont find them anywhere in lim there all unique clothes and not clothes flooded in the market like river island. bought 3/4 lengths one yr there and every second person has them. ennis has all the big designer labels, just not the chain shops, as much as i love river island and a wear its common everywhere

28. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Sandi000 wrote: »
      Ennis is known as boutique capital of Ireland!!

By whom? That's just a slogan the retailer organisers of Ennis Fashion Week came up with. Galway has far many more boutiques, but also has chains, so caters for all sections of the market.

29. Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emypenguin

I personally think that Ennis is very poor when it comes to shops because cities with high standard shops are very close to Ennis such as Limerick,Galway and Cork each just under 2 hours drive.But I have to admit Ennis does have some decent shops such as a very high standard Dunnes Stores but a very low standard Tescos which lies in a place called "Ennis Shopping Centre" and it only has 5-7 low standard shops which is very dissapointing

30. Advertisement
    31. Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tesco tried to build a new center but the locals objected, bet that doesn't happed too often in Ireland :D

I wouldn't have much knowledge of ladies shopping, but for men we have some good options, main stocking the brand names, but if someone wants some of the larger chain options then they are only a short drive away

32. Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Clareman wrote: »
      Tesco tried to build a new center but the locals objected, bet that doesn't happed too often in Ireland :D

really? i never knew that, where?

Advertisement