Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on diet and training

• 05-02-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

hi all.

im 5'7, roughly 73kg male

havnt had a chance to get a fat value but i know i certainly have a bit of a spare tyre. since the new year iv been trying to improve my diet and bulk up. below is what iv been eating on average

Breakfast:
    bowl of porridge with a chopped banana
    glass of milk
    glass of orange juice

lunch:
    tuna sandwich
    egg x 2
    pint of milk
    pint of water

afternoon:
    couple of oranges, a banana or maybe some other fruit
    more water

dinner:
    boiled chicken with veg. i try pile up the veg but sometimes i miss out

iv cut out all snacking between, resisted crisps etc.. im not on any supplements, would they be nesecary? i realise im getting a good bit of protein already.

im very much a scrawny lad. by no means am i thin but i'd like to bulk up and be more toned. at the gym i tend to row a bit to warm up. possibly 5/6mins then i usually work with free weights; benchpress etc.. i use assisted weights on my back muscles

any tips would be appreciated!
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭mindaugelis

scrapsmac wrote: »
    hi all.

havnt had a chance to get a fat value but i know i certainly have a bit of a spare tyre. since the new year iv been trying to improve my diet and bulk up. below is what iv been eating on average

Breakfast:
    glass of milk
    glass of orange juice

lunch:
    tuna sandwich
    egg x 2
    pint of milk
    pint of water

afternoon:
    more water

dinner:

iv cut out all snacking between, resisted crisps etc.. im not on any supplements, would they be nesecary? i realise im getting a good bit of protein already.

im very much a scrawny lad. by no means am i thin but i'd like to bulk up and be more toned. at the gym i tend to row a bit to warm up. possibly 5/6mins then i usually work with free weights; benchpress etc.. i use assisted weights on my back muscles

cheers

you get 60g of protein per day :) and nearly no carbs :) i get 50g of protein per one meal :) buy bigger spoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

you get 60g of protein per day :) and nearly no carbs :)

Neither of those things are true!

porridge + chopped banana = lots of carbs, small amount of protein
    glass of milk -> carbs + protein
    OJ -> carbs
    tuna sandwich -> 40g + of carbs (bread), 20-30g of protein (tuna)
    2 eggs -> 13g protein
    pint of milk -> 15g protein, 25g carbs
    chicken -> 30-50g protein

edit: But the point stands I think. At 73KG and looking to bulk I think you should probably be eating more. Especially protein.

Khannie wrote: »
    Neither of those things are true!

porridge + chopped banana = lots of carbs, small amount of protein
    glass of milk -> carbs + protein
    OJ -> carbs
    tuna sandwich -> 40g + of carbs (bread), 20-30g of protein (tuna)
    2 eggs -> 13g protein
    pint of milk -> 15g protein, 25g carbs
    chicken -> 30-50g protein

edit: But the point stands I think. At 73KG and looking to bulk I think you should probably be eating more. Especially protein.

he didnt mentioned about amounts... :) for this weight he should take 200g of protein and 400g carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

im filling up on the milk. i usually drink quite alot of it anyway. as for amounts id say im having about 200g porridge in the morning, the whole tin of tuna, and for dinner if its chicken id usually have about 250-300g.

im having trouble finding the time to fit in all the eating to be honest. i was making my own shakes for a couple of weeks

eggs x 3
    banana
    100g porridge
    peanut butter oil
    milk

i read a thread on here which said theyr pretty rubbish though. also i dont like the idea of risking salmonella

im filling up on the milk. i usually drink quite alot of it anyway. as for amounts id say im having about 200g porridge in the morning, the whole tin of tuna, and for dinner if its chicken id usually have about 250-300g.

im having trouble finding the time to fit in all the eating to be honest. i was making my own shakes for a couple of weeks

eggs x 3
    banana
    100g porridge
    peanut butter oil
    milk

i read a thread on here which said theyr pretty rubbish though. also i dont like the idea of risking salmonella

sallmonela you can catch if you will eat not boiled eggs :) and you wont find sallmonela in shops milk ;) so dont worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

hi all.

Breakfast:
    glass of milk
    glass of orange juice

lunch:
    tuna sandwich
    egg x 2
    pint of milk
    pint of water

afternoon:
    more water

dinner:

cheers

diet needs more protein and more vegetables.. nothing else stands out though .. you say you are trying to bulk up? what is your goal weight? of course if you are bulking by diet alone you wont gain much muscle, what is your exercise routine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

corkcomp wrote: »
    diet needs more protein and more vegetables.. nothing else stands out though .. you say you are trying to bulk up? what is your goal weight? of course if you are bulking by diet alone you wont gain much muscle, what is your exercise routine?

Well his protein intake is actually pretty much spot on as it is.

OP, keep doing what you're doing. Keep up the exercise and keep cutting out the junk and you'll shift the spare tyre. Keep hitting the weights and you'll soon be adding some muscle. If you aren't seeing the results come back to us. Simple as that really.

Advertisement