Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good wedding band, that can play in Waterford City?

• 05-02-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a wedding band (for my own wedding) that can play Waterford city. I'd admit to be fairly snobby about quality music, but I do understand that a wedding band has to cater for all tastes (I might like them to play that 10 minute Sonic Youth B-Side from 1996, but I know that's not gonna fly on the day).

However:
    Country n' Irish
    One guy with a keyboard
    ...need not apply.

But anything else I'll consider.

If you can recommend anyone I would truly appreciate it. Note that most wedding bands aren't afraid to travel afaik.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The two most popular wedding bands in Waterford are probably Brass & Co. and Avalon. They've been doing the rounds for a long time though so definitely wouldn't be playing anything you haven't heard before. They're both well rehearsed in getting the crowd out though and that's probably why they've not had to reinvent themselves over the years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Avalon gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

Yeah, I liked the look of them on their Facebook video, but they're taken for the night I wanted. But he did give me some recommendations:
    Anyone ever see: IQ or Brand New Cadillac play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Try Monroe...but they're probably booked out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm getting married myself in october op.

The band i wanted are called "never heard em" and were class he time i saw them. But alas them and avalon (also very good) were booked out.

Mrs Ziedth and I began to panic at this stage but went with san fran fiasco in the end, they came reccomended and the lad i was talking to seemed sound.

I've said it before but I was not blown away by brass an co. They were at my brothers wedding and I couldn't belive what they paid for them. No better then anyone else imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I went to a wedding last year in Dromoland Castle and The Soul Masters (http://www.thesoulmasters.net/) played at it. I thought they were great. They have a promo video on their website.

I have no idea how much it would cost to hire them, I was just the guest. But they played good crowd pleasing songs whereby the floor was busy the whole night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

try get the bottle brothers. The lads are legends.

i'd second bottle brothers too, we were going to go with them if we didn't like the look of san fran fiasco. I think bottle brothers are only 1250 for band and dj and they are a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ziedth. wrote: »
    i'd second bottle brothers too, we were going to go with them if we didn't like the look of san fran fiasco. I think bottle brothers are only 1250 for band and dj and they are a good laugh.
    is that a good price? i wouldnt have a clue.

To be honest, i think that's a crazy price. Although they quoted my neighbours 1500 for the same service.

Avalon charge 1500 I think, but there's 5 of them,

I personally think the days of bands getting ridiculous money for weddings should come to an end.

The band could do the same set in a bar and charge half...how do they justify that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Surley Daz

The Shakes are excellent. Played my wedding which was held in Wicklow, think they'll travel anywhere within reason but mainly stick to Dublin or thereabouts.

The problem with Avalon is that everyman and his dog has had them as a wedding band in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was at a wedding where IQ were playing, they were really good! Its a pity avalon arent available, there brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

SeanF wrote: »
    Yeah, I liked the look of them on their Facebook video, but they're taken for the night I wanted. But he did give me some recommendations:
    Anyone ever see: IQ or Brand New Cadillac play?

Saw Brand New Cadillac play 2 weeks ago at a wedding in Slaney Manor in Wexford and they were really, really good. They are from Tramore so will certainly play in the city. They were excellent and really got thngs hopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

right. ive read all the posts so far and i dont think anyone has recommended the jam tarts. best band in waterford by a country mile.

tom thum wrote: »
    right. ive read all the posts so far and i dont think anyone has recommended the jam tarts. best band in waterford by a country mile.

Maybe if they changed their set a little. They've been playing the same one over and over for the past 5 years. Everyone has seen it too many times.

And of course you have to consider are they any good for weddings? Like blue moose and j-90 are my two fav pub bands but i wouldn't but them forward for a wedding to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Give Keith MacDonald a ring on 086 8980767.

If you are looking for a photographer, take a look around my website:

http://www.ciaranconneely.com/

Woody33: I've passed your link onto my girlfriend.

I'm looking for contact details for The Jam Tarts, but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone has a number, would you mind PMing it to me? Thanks.

Sent

Thanks for your help everyone.

I've heard some good reports about The Butterfly Band, who I believe are based in Waterford. If anyone has seen them play, or has contact details for them, can you PM me? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

SeanF wrote: »
    Thanks for your help everyone.

I've heard some good reports about The Butterfly Band, who I believe are based in Waterford. If anyone has seen them play, or has contact details for them, can you PM me? Thanks!

great band. playing sunday in masons at 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

seanybiker wrote: »
    try get the bottle brothers. The lads are legends.
    I had them for my wedding in 2001 and they were funny and they got everyone out on the floor. I presume they are still the same now.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

I'd recommend the Remedies. Great band, often play in Masons and Rubys Lounge. Not sure how much they charge though.

We went with San fran fiasco in the end,

I also like the remedies! I heard them out a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

anyone have a price for the remedies?

Ziedth. wrote: »
    We went with San fran fiasco in the end,

I also like the remedies! I heard them out a couple of times.

Good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

What are Soul Reason like? leaflet in waterford today for them and himself said they are fantastic but ive never heard them..is it all blues brothers songs or do they play a mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

snuggles09 wrote: »
    What are Soul Reason like? leaflet in waterford today for them and himself said they are fantastic but ive never heard them..is it all blues brothers songs or do they play a mix?

They're very good and have been around for years so really know what they're doing. They do a mix of a lot of songs, not just Blues Brothers stuff, mostly old stuff, I wouldn't say you'd find many new chart hits in their setlist!

They're often play in town so you could easily go and see them for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah someone in work told me today that they're apparently going to be playing in Harvey's every Sunday during the summer so plenty of chances to catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

The jam tarts were good the first time I saw them but they are just living off reputation now. Nowhere near as good as they were a few years ago.

Tom Thumb: You know theres a better band in waterford!

Advertisement