Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good wedding band, that can play in Waterford City?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

San Fran Fiasco played at our wedding2yrs ago, absolutly excellent, especially if you have a younger crowd. Wouldnt be in to avalon, Dick n Dave etc. Id say check out the bottle brothers, we couldnt get them..booked out 8 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 musicman100

To be honest, i think that's a crazy price. Although they quoted my neighbours 1500 for the same service.

Avalon charge 1500 I think, but there's 5 of them,

I personally think the days of bands getting ridiculous money for weddings should come to an end.

The band could do the same set in a bar and charge half...how do they justify that?

Just to put my cards on the table, I play in a wedding band in Waterford myself. I think it's very unfair to quote prices here as you don't know if the quote is for the same thing (disco included/longer set / travel etc.). Wedding bands charge their fee based on the fact that they are reliable, good, and no matter what they will turn up on the night. I have no problem with the fees charged as you are paying for professional musicians to put aside a Fri or Sat night months or even years in advance. I have missed family parties, weddings, and other nights that people take for granted because I have a booking in on the night. I ( and most musicians ) have spent thousands on quality gear and instuments and years learning my trade, longer than a solicitor trains for his/her profession. I have to keep a van on the road for the band, a web site, wedding fairs, and a hundred other expences that have to come out of the fee. It's not just.. turn up...play.... go home....thank you very much! Each wedding starts at about 7:00 when I change strings (another expence), load the gear, drive to the venue, load in, set up, play and sing for 2- 2 1/2 hours, take down the gear, load up drive home and empty the van. That's usually 8hours hard work ! AT NIGHT!
    As for the bar price HA... good wedding bands are booked far in advance and don't usually play in bars, it's a completely different type of gig and is not subject to the same pressures to keep people dancing etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Musicman1000 hit the nail on the head there. People dont realise how much work is involved with being in a band and in particular a band that plays weddings/parties.
    I'm in one of those bands as well and tonight for example I have to drive to thurles from waterford, load in the gear, set up all the gear, soundcheck, wait around until we can start, play our asses off for 2-1/2hrs, take down the gear, load up the vans and then drive home. I'll leave my house in waterford at 8pm and I'll get home at 4am. Thats 8hrs of my saturday gone and because its such a late finish thats the first half of sunday gone for me too.

I'm a pro musician and because of that I have pro level gear which costs alot of money to buy and to maintain. At a conservative estimate I'll be leaving the house tonight with 4k worth of equipment. And thats only me, in total our band gear is worth 15k. You may think its alot but you would'nt exactly have faith in a band that turned up with gear they bought in argos!

I have'nt even mentioned anything about insurance/petrol/diesel/van maintenance etc.

I know I'm biased but when you have a cracking band for your wedding/party you wont care about how much they cost because the dancefloor will be packed and everybody will have a great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

But if you're talking two grand between four lads, that's €500 apiece. If it's 5 hours' work, that's €100 an hour each. If it was 10 hours (which it wouldn't be) that would still be €50 an hour. Spin it whatever way you like but those prices are charged because it's what people can get away with.

Obviously bands that regularly play weddings wouldn't play that many pub gigs but they do play them. And that involves the same work but costs about a quarter of the price. If you want to factor in the pressure of keeping people dancing as you say, I don't think that would be worth €1500!

We had Opus Pocus for our wedding and they were class. Won't say exactly how much it cost but, as there were 13 of them, it was a very fair price. And you can't say that they're not a quality band with a superb reputation either so all other things are equal.

It's my opinion that anyone who pays €2,000 for a four- or five-piece band is being taken for a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I agree, 2k for a 4-piece band is pushing it but you do have to pay for quality. 2k paid for a ****e band would be money down the drain but 2k paid to a great band(4-piece or 13-piece) would be money very well spent. Everybody would enjoy themselves, talk about it for ages and your wedding will be remembered as a great day/night out.

Edit: I've spent 10hrs going to a gig/playing/going home before. Its not that unusual in the world of bands. Nkay1985: You obviously dont play in a band!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Wasn't there a wedding band here called Local hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dermo909 wrote: »
    I agree, 2k for a 4-piece band is pushing it but you do have to pay for quality. 2k paid for a ****e band would be money down the drain but 2k paid to a great band(4-piece or 13-piece) would be money very well spent. Everybody would enjoy themselves, talk about it for ages and your wedding will be remembered as a great day/night out.

Edit: I've spent 10hrs going to a gig/playing/going home before. Its not that unusual in the world of bands. Nkay1985: You obviously dont play in a band!

Yeah but what I was saying is that 10 hours would be very much the exception rather than the rule. No I don't play in a band but have quite a few friends who play but sure that's neither here nor there.

And on the point of having everyone talking about how good the night was, that's where the problem is: weddings in Ireland are such a big thing that people will spend lots of money to ensure it goes as well as possible. Bands, venues and everything else associated with weddings take advantage of it by charging extortionate prices because they know people will pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

nkay1985 wrote: »
    But if you're talking two grand between four lads, that's €500 apiece. If it's 5 hours' work, that's €100 an hour each. If it was 10 hours (which it wouldn't be) that would still be €50 an hour. Spin it whatever way you like but those prices are charged because it's what people can get away with.

Obviously bands that regularly play weddings wouldn't play that many pub gigs but they do play them. And that involves the same work but costs about a quarter of the price. If you want to factor in the pressure of keeping people dancing as you say, I don't think that would be worth €1500!

We had Opus Pocus for our wedding and they were class. Won't say exactly how much it cost but, as there were 13 of them, it was a very fair price. And you can't say that they're not a quality band with a superb reputation either so all other things are equal.

It's my opinion that anyone who pays €2,000 for a four- or five-piece band is being taken for a ride.

They let down my mate for a Wedding a few years ago, he got told about 6 weeks prior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Think I paid €1,600 for San Franfiasco for mine and I must say they were worth every cent.

Without getting into it they learned off a particular song for me that we had played for a friend who passed away and it was top notch.

I agree that 2k is allot of money but in their defence some bands can be 7/10 years getting their name high on the list I'm sure working for nothing.

I'd more say that it's the industry is overcharging as against the actual bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know what I be saying if I was quoted some of them prices. Plenty of people need a car/van for work so thats not really a reason to ask for huge amounts of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Bottle Brothers have been mentioned already but i would definitlely recommend them, they played at my 2 sister's weddings and at another wedding i was at too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ziedth wrote: »
    Think I paid €1,600 for San Franfiasco for mine and I must say they were worth every cent.

I think you were overcharged tbh. That prices seems excessive for a four piece band. I play in a band and have been for over 10 years. With the recession it has ment that everybody in the entertainment industry has to cut their prices as well. The average price for a 4 piece band for a standard 2.5 hour gig with out travelling should come in around €1000-€1250.

Check out our Facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Broadstreet-Band/182695371748348?v=wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Bottle Bros played at my niece's wedding in Wexford area and were excellent. I know nothing of cost but no matter who you get it will be exhorbitant. Like hotels, dressmakers, taxis, flower arrangers and suppliers just mention the "w" word and the price goes through the roof.

A friend asked a hotel for a price for a menu for a retirement party. When given a quote he then said it was actually for a wedding and immediately the price changed (upwards). Anyway, I am gone off thread, though not the first culprit. Bottle Bros.

I think you were overcharged tbh. That prices seems excessive for a four piece band. I play in a band and have been for over 10 years. With the recession it has ment that everybody in the entertainment industry has to cut their prices as well. The average price for a 4 piece band for a standard 2.5 hour gig with out travelling should come in around €1000-€1250.

Oh I'm well aware that we paid a bit over the odds but I have been to two weddings where the band was very poor and to be honest it killed the entire day and we said we would make sure to get the best we could. I wouldn't know to many of the players for wedding outside of the well known ones and out first and second choice (Never heard of em & Avalon) weren't available on the night so we has seen the lads a number of times we knew we didn't need to worry.

IMHO if you get 10 bands that cost 500-750 and 10 that cost 1250-1500 the latter are going to be better the vast majority of the time.

Yes, I agree that prices are to high but then again nearly every part of a wedding I thing is more expensive then it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ziedth wrote: »
    Oh I'm well aware that we paid a bit over the odds but I have been to two weddings where the band was very poor and to be honest it killed the entire day and we said we would make sure to get the best we could. I wouldn't know to many of the players for wedding outside of the well known ones and out first and second choice (Never heard of em & Avalon) weren't available on the night so we has seen the lads a number of times we knew we didn't need to worry.

IMHO if you get 10 bands that cost 500-750 and 10 that cost 1250-1500 the latter are going to be better the vast majority of the time.

Yes, I agree that prices are to high but then again nearly every part of a wedding I thing is more expensive then it should be.

I couldnt agree more regarding the point "you get what you pay for". As you said nothing worse that one part of the wedding being a let down i.e. band, disco, photographer, etc. Its gonna be the couples special day and they don't want to chance something going wrong.

And yes when someone rings for a price for band, disco, photographer they will in general get a figure thrown at them just because its a wedding. I guess its up to people to just be a bit more savvy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

ive seen you guys play for a wedding of a freind of mine.

IMO i dont think couples take enough time to choose the band they want for their wedding. They usually go to see a band at a normal pub gig and see the bladdered teenagers going mental to the sound of a "fart" and its on this basis that they think they have found their dream wedding band. Rubbish!!!! On the day, the band know they will need something to suit EVERYONE , so they will need their couple of waltzs , quicksteps, country etc. ( no ,matter how much they hate playing them )
    As a matter of interest, those of you who are not in any bands, tell me what you think would be a fair price to pay a 4 piece band for a 2 hour set at your wedding?

2 hours. 4 members. Hmm less than 1000 anyways.
    Even at 800 that's 100 an hour each.
    Yeah they play songs they don't actually like but everyone in a job does stuff they don't like.
    Majority of songs I ever seen played at a wedding are simple on the guitar. I don't play any other instrument so I can't say how easy they are on drums etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

When were you married Ziedth??

Thought San Fran were done? Although I have seen Paul floating around lately, lovely chap, have great time for him, but he told me he was packing it in, be delighted if he starts something up again

We got married in October,

I have a feeling we were their last wedding or there abouts cause when we got back from Honeymoon I heard that they had split up.

I think I heard that a few of them had started a new band (beach combers I think) but I'm not sure is Paul involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Paul isnt involved in that afaik.

Congrats on the wedding :)

seanybiker wrote: »
    2 hours. 4 members. Hmm less than 1000 anyways.
    Even at 800 that's 100 an hour each.
    Yeah they play songs they don't actually like but everyone in a job does stuff they don't like.
    Majority of songs I ever seen played at a wedding are simple on the guitar. I don't play any other instrument so I can't say how easy they are on drums etc.
    no seany, u are way out by the side of it.

1. They are not being paid €100 an hour. They are out of the house for at least 8 hours. Its not only a case of getting paid for the entertainment bit.
    2. Equipment doesnt just appear. It has to be bought and maintained.
    3.Clothing (suits, ties, shirts etc.) You dont think all we all go around in shiny suits.
    4. Tax
    5. Fuel doesnt buy itself.

They are just examples off the top of my head. There are alot of factors the general public wouldnt take into consideration when booking a band.

tom thum wrote: »
    no seany, u are way out by the side of it.

1. They are not being paid €100 an hour. They are out of the house for at least 8 hours. Its not only a case of getting paid for the entertainment bit.
    2. Equipment doesnt just appear. It has to be bought and maintained.
    3.Clothing (suits, ties, shirts etc.) You dont think all we all go around in shiny suits.
    4. Tax
    5. Fuel doesnt buy itself.

They are just examples off the top of my head. There are alot of factors the general public wouldnt take into consideration when booking a band.
    I know equipment just doesn't appear outta nowhere and as I said already plenty of people need to pay tax and have to put petrol in their car. Plenty of people also have to buy clothes for their jobs. Do you pay your taxes on the money you get cash in hand also or would you leave bits and pieces slide underbrush radar.
    Once you earned enough to pay off your equipment does that mean your price would go down?
    I know your gonna come back with but we do this and that so ill just end on my opinion is some of the prices are bleeding mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Some really silly points of view in this thread IMO.

Of course wedding bands were overpriced during the boom, just like everything else.

They have come down.

If you still think they are expensive, consider this:

You book a band for the same price as a pub gig (say 70 to 120 a man), how would your peace of mind be as regards them turning up (and staying sober) vs. a professional wedding outfit with good references that charge 2x as much but who's bread and butter is wedding and corporate gigs ?

How about worrying if the €70 is enough to stop the bass player downing instrument and walking out after being harassed by your crazy auntie Mary for 45mins ?

Enough things to worry about during a wedding without this, people are paying for peace of mind.

The money a wedding band is paid represents the responsibility to deliver, on what is a very special occasion for the customer.

A band for a pub gig can be easily assembled from members of various bands if a couple of people from an established lineup cannot play for whatever reason. Musicians on the circuit can get through material they are only vaguely familiar with to a high enough standard for most pubs. A wedding must be more polished.

It is a different gig, and some weddings can be very difficult.

To the person who said 'most wedding songs aren't that hard on the guitar' :confused:

Don't know where to start with that comment, reminds me of something that drunk guy from 'The Wedding Singer' would say. :) I bet you go to weddings and stand stroking your chin in front of the band, congratulating yourself on how many chords you know, and telling anyone who'll listen: 'I could do that' :D

Just messing with you, but it does beg the question, why don't you ? If it is that easy and so well paid ?

Top wedding bands have expensive PA, lights, instruments, amps, monitors, websites, recordings, transport, insurance etc and are tax compliant.

Everyone also seems to forget the rehearsal time involved in getting such a band to the required standard also. Could be 4 - 6 months of rehearsals twice a week for 4 hours each. Should musicians be denied the opportunity to recoup this ?

No I don't stand in front of the band thinking I could do that and I play guitar as a hobby and have no plans ever to be in a band not even a super duper professional wedding band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Don't be afraid to go outside the county for a band, i got a great band from Dublin for 1500, played mostly ratpack stuff. Everyone at the wedding loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

There is a band called just five i think they are from co.tipp they played at a mate of mine wedding in Tralee ! and they were they best i have ever heard and I play music myself so I would know a good band when i see one .

seanybiker wrote: »
    some of the prices are bleeding mental.
    i couldnt agree with you more seany. i am a firm believer in value for money.

A band for a pub gig can be easily assembled from members of various bands if a couple of people from an established lineup cannot play for whatever reason. Musicians on the circuit can get through material they are only vaguely familiar with to a high enough standard for most pubs.
    i would have to totally disagree with you on this point.

1. Bands get weddings through their gigs in pubs. thats how they are seen.
    2. Why should the publican accept that some of the band only vaguely know the songs? After all they are a bands bread and butter.

I think Waterford is absolutely terrible for this behaviour. Lads in 3 or 4 bands. its ridiculous. One would swear there was a shortage of musicians in town.
    Ive seen a few make shift bands playing in Waterford and they have not done themselves any favours.

• Advertisement

tom thum wrote: »

I think Waterford is absolutely terrible for this behaviour. Lads in 3 or 4 bands. its ridiculous. One would swear there was a shortage of musicians in town.
    Ive seen a few make shift bands playing in Waterford and they have not done themselves any favours.
    haha yeah tis madness alright. I know a few who play in a few different bands. Funny stuff

Advertisement