Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find out if business is legimate

Options
  • 05-02-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi there,

I want to find out if a company is legimate, if it is legal or whether it is a scam. Where would I be able to find out? Is there an online database of registered companies? Tried Googling but no help

Thank you for replying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can do a search on the CRO site:
    http://www.cro.ie/search/

For companies, this will tell you when the last Annual Return was made, which is usually an indicator that they're a serious company.

However, it could be a business name, which doesn't tell you a lot about the seriousness of the directors, and even if it's not listed, that doesn't mean it's a dodgy company.

Even companies with completed annual returns can engage in shady dealings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

and dodgy companies can rob a registered companies name and number and pretend they are training as them.

i spend my day checking registered companies and VAT nos. you would be surprised at the amount of dodgy companies who do this

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Start with the CRO. For a small fee you can download copies of the company's documents - this will allow you find how who the directors are and what financial state the company is in.

However, company names can be and are stolen and misused.

Advertisement