Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Leaking from Red Plastic Cap under boiler

• 05-02-2010 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

All,

I am REALLY useless at understanding boilers etc. I bought my house brand new two years ago and have had no problems until about 3 months ago.

1)The pressure in the boiler keeps going down. I keep having to top it up this is happening about every two days. I trry keep it at 1bar. I top it up by putting the temp to zero and twisting a black nob on the brass piping

2) Our radiators all turn off for no reason. This happens once or twice a week and the boiler shows that the heating is still on.

3) A very small amount of water is leaking from the red cap which is underneath my boiler. I rang a Boiler guy who said he thinks its my safety valuse which will need replacing?!! He said 200! This seems odd as the boiler is not old. Also I looked at the red plastic cap and I can see green mould around the top of it. Maybe its actually just loose or something?! Is it OK to remove this cap or will I set something off? Obviously its there for a reason.

ANY help at all would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes it sounds like your safety valve is leaking. Thats why the pressure is dropping. Because air pressure is leaking out. A bit of grit is caught in the valve and no it wont clean out sorry.

You will need a new safety valve fitted.

However 200 Euro does seem a lot I would get 3 prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Price seems a bit high but it may well be the going rate. Board Gas have the entire system wrapped up now so not many options any more. Slightest Gas boiler jobs are now big jobs, you might find service engineer checking Gas line for soundness before going near boiler after job is done some paper work follows. Working with Gas is a responsible job and unfortunately price reflects. Still ring around.

Best not to scrimp on a leaking boiler safety unless you want to fork out 700 or 800 euro on a replacement heat exchanger in the next few months, its a job that requires the attention of a RGI service person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I am an RGI service man and €200 seems a bit high for that (and the fact he quoted over the phone) If the boiler can be isolated at the boiler he would not even need to drain down the heating system. Most modern boilers have everything intigrated inside. I would probably charge €150-€170 depending if the new valve was easy to source.

Also you dont have to get Board Gais to service or repair boilers as long as the engineer is RGI.

Let me know how you get on.

Advertisement