Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Fat32 v Windows issue

• 05-02-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a strange problem that I hope someone might be able to help me with. I have a USB multimedia HD that is linux-based (not sure what distribution) and uses its own utility/software to partition and format the drive. The drive is split into a Fat32 and NTFS partition.

When I try to copy files from my xp machine to the NTFS partition there is no problem, but when I copy files to the Fat32 partition the copy is really slow and then the USB drive is eventually disconnected. I booted the laptop with a linux book disk (Barts boot disk) and copied from the laptop to the Fat32 drive without issue.

Anyone any ideas what could be going on here or what I could try???

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

rayc wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bit of a strange problem that I hope someone might be able to help me with. I have a USB multimedia HD that is linux-based (not sure what distribution) and uses its own utility/software to partition and format the drive. The drive is split into a Fat32 and NTFS partition.

When I try to copy files from my xp machine to the NTFS partition there is no problem, but when I copy files to the Fat32 partition the copy is really slow and then the USB drive is eventually disconnected. I booted the laptop with a linux book disk (Barts boot disk) and copied from the laptop to the Fat32 drive without issue.

Anyone any ideas what could be going on here or what I could try???

thanks
    How large is the FAT32 partition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

It's over 500 Gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

rayc wrote: »
    It's over 500 Gig
    XP doesn't like partitions over 250+ GB in the FAT32 format. I suggest you turn this into two partitions of 250GB instead. Is there a particular reason your using FAT32? It's file size is limited to 4GB as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

cheers for that, it's just a small bit of a pain (for navigating) when movies etc are split over 2-3 partitions. As regards why I'm using fat32, it's complicated ;-) I originally used the NTFS partition as the main one but the box acts as a PVR and it's software requires at least one Fat32 partition to record to. Also I wanted to hook it up to my xbox which only reads Fat32 so I said to hell with it I'll make it one big fat partition. Thats when the trouble started.

I take it there's no real work-around?

thanks again for the help.

Advertisement