Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSN: Reports Terry dropped as captain

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kleefarr wrote: »
    This is all just turning into a money making scandal fest that the media can make more money from. It's sickening. They're scum.

The English Mail online.

really sh1t article imo.

Yeah - he had his problems in the past, he was a freaking idiot.

However, he has matured a lot since the drug test incident, and the fact he has won over the United fans who despised him for that and the contract farce, is testament to that imo.

5 years ago he would not have been a good candidate to be captain. He has really changed in the last few years; he has matured and has become a much better player and leader for it.

kleefarr wrote: »
    This is all just turning into a money making scandal fest that the media can make more money from. It's sickening. They're scum.

The English Mail online.

whats that about? It won't open for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The English tabloids sheepish glee at the problems, year after year in the England camp is one of the most bizarre things about that country.

'I think I can save the British Empire from anything — except the British.'-Churchill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rarnes1 wrote: »
    whats that about? It won't open for me

Boozer, love cheat and drug-test dodger. Meet the NEW England captain Rio Ferdinand

By Richard Pendlebury
    Last updated at 4:32 PM on 06th February 2010

* Comments (126)
    * Add to My Stories

A chump? Certainly. A drugs cheat? Well, we will probably never know for sure.

England's new football captain Rio Ferdinand hardly represents a return to the Corinthian ideals; an eight-month ban for missing a drugs test in 2003 will forever blight his record.

Perhaps the most persuasive argument for the Manchester United defender's promotion is that he has belatedly matured, to become the least worst of potential Terry replacements.
    Rio Ferdinand and Vanessa Perroncel

Lad among the WAGs: Rio Ferdinand at the 2006 World Cup with women including Wayne Bridge's partner Vanessa Perroncel, ringed

Like Terry, Ferdinand emerged from a tough London council estate. Like his predecessor, a brilliant early career was often accompanied by off-field excess.

When the West Ham teenager was called up to the England squad in 1997, it gave him the chance of becoming his country's youngest player since Duncan Edwards, 40 years before.
    Rio Ferdinand

The clubber: Ferdinand out at 4am before a drugs hearing

He celebrated by going out drinking with friends and was stopped by police as he drove home. Ferdinand's subsequent drink driving conviction saw him dropped by the then England manager Glenn Hoddle.

Unfortunately, he was slow to learn from such mistakes. Having failed to make the England party for Euro 2000, he accompanied several other young players on holiday to the Cypriot resort of Ayia Napa.

In their five-star hotel they drank heavily, picked up girls and filmed each other having sex. A Sunday newspaper was given the footage; Ferdinand was in the doghouse again.

There was no doubting his talent. In November 2000 he was transferred to Leeds United for a British record £18million. But a change of scene brought but no apparent change of character.

In October 2001, only days before England's crucial World Cup qualifying-game with Greece, he broke curfew to visit strip clubs and bars in London with fellow England defender Ashley 'Cashley' Cole, of Arsenal, and Arsenal reserve team player Paolo Vernazza. No one would have known if Vernazza had not returned home to surprise and be stabbed by a burglar.

Ferdinand would not give a statement to police, no doubt worried that it would be another admission of professional indiscipline.

Two years later he was summoned to appear in court twice in one day. In the first case he was banned from driving for a speeding offence.

Very shortly afterwards he appeared as a witness in a case involving an attempted rape, indecent assault and kidnap.
    Party boy: Rio Ferdinand enjoys a night out in the Clara club, in Tel Aviv last summer

Party boy: Rio Ferdinand enjoys a night out in the Clara club, in Tel Aviv last summer

The court heard that Ferdinand had been on a drinking binge in Leeds during which he had jumped on the roof of a car, pestered female clubbers and been in the company of a 'serious criminal'.

He told the court: 'I am well aware of my behaviour in the public eye.' It was hard to believe.

And his worst transgression - one which threatened his entire career - was yet to come.

In the summer of 2002 Ferdinand joined Manchester United for a then world-record fee for a defender of £30million.

Keen sense of style: Rio Ferdinand scored a disastrous own goal with his choice of kit in Tel Aviv

Keen sense of style: Rio Ferdinand scored a disastrous own goal with his choice of kit in Tel Aviv

The following season the club regained the Premiership title. But in September 2003 Ferdinand failed to attend a routine drugs test after training. He claimed that he had simply forgotten; preoccupied by those twin pursuits of wealthy footballers: shopping and moving house.

The veracity of his excuse can never been proved, of course. In January 2004 he was banned from all competitions for eight months.

Picking up a huge salary during his self-enforced absence, while his team struggled, Ferdinand lost the support and affection of many United fans.

Rio Ferdinand and Rebecca Ellison

Ferdinand married Rebecca Ellison, with whom he has two children, last year

That has taken several years to win back. He has done so by playing well and participating in a number of good causes, notably with underprivileged children.

His home life is settled, it seems. Last year he married his long-time girlfriend and mother of his two children, Rebecca Ellison, in a ceremony which was not sold to a celebrity magazine.

Miss Ellison had shown considerable forbearance in previous years as the footballer was linked with a number of models, including the then ubiquitous Abi Titmuss.

Now aged 31 and articulate in interview, Ferdinand seems to have put his wilder days behind him. Time will tell.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248900/Boozer-love-cheat-drug-test-dodger-Meet-NEW-England-captain-Rio-Ferdinand.html#ixzz0eo0RcsgP

That England captain job is a poison chalice.

Whatever private life Ferdinand had before is fúcked now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ridiculous article tbh. Absolutely no facts and full of biased non sensical opinion. I don't expect anything more from the Mail though. The English press love to see their own fail, it sells newpapers

sprinkles wrote: »
    it sells newpapers

That's it in a nutshell.

Bad news sells papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

themont85 wrote: »
    The English tabloids sheepish glee at the problems, year after year in the England camp is one of the most bizarre things about that country.

It's bizarre really, every time England have a world cup coming up, the trash press seem hellbent on fcuking it up for them. Expect more 'revelations' and ragmag scandal over the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

That's it in a nutshell.

Bad news sells papers.

Hence my post with link..
    A money making scandal fest that the media can make more money from.

Just seen on SSN there the reporter asking Capello would Terry ever captain England again? :pac:

Come June, there will be media pressure to have him reinstated, you heard it here first !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

Just seen on SSN there the reporter asking Capello would Terry ever captain England again? :pac:

Come June, there will be media pressure to have him reinstated, you heard it here first !

put your money where your mouth is and go to your bookie and have a bet on it so.

kryogen wrote: »

Love the headline of this one:

John Terry 'gagged four more mistresses with money'

Love the headline of this one:

John Terry 'gagged four more mistresses with money'

lol yeah that was a good one alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has Terry or Bridges made any comment on this?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has Terry or Bridges made any comment on this?

Yeah "No comment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

22 pages on this topic???

Why???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

22 pages on this topic???

Why???
    Cause you live in the past with 15 posts per page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

sorta on a related topic, wayne bridge has made himself unavailable for england duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

event wrote: »
    sorta on a related topic, wayne bridge has made himself unavailable for england duty

Thats really sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I think it is a stupid decision from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

John Terry’s autograph apology to Wayne Bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's a **** but fair play for keeping his cool there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

source ssn

John Terry questioned and breathalysed by Police after knocking over a member of the Chelsea staff in his car last night

id put money on drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Headshot wrote: »
    source ssn

John Terry questioned and breathalysed by Police after knocking over a member of the Chelsea staff in his car last night

id put money on drogba

Already in Chelsea thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

terry drove off I heard, left the a member of the security staff with a broken leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Headshot wrote: »
    terry drove off I heard, left the a member of the security staff with a broken leg

Bloody hell, I hadn't heard anything at all!!!
    Not near a telly or radio yet today cos of Paddy's day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Aparently a club steward was trying to keep back a possy of photographers when JT ran him over and broke his leg. JT was then breathalised.... this story will run for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm assuming his vision was clouded by tears. Or summat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Just to throw some water on the Terry thing, he was leaving the stadium in a line of traffic doing no more than a few miles an hour, surrounded by photographers' flashbulbs going up right in his face. He's since spoken to the police and the injured fella and made sure he's okay. I hate JT but this is a non-story.

Columbia wrote: »
    Just to throw some water on the Terry thing, he was leaving the stadium in a line of traffic doing no more than a few miles an hour, surrounded by photographers' flashbulbs going up right in his face. He's since spoken to the police and the injured fella and made sure he's okay. I hate JT but this is a non-story.

Where did you get your info then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Kinetic^ wrote: »

Thank God, I couldn't find it for a moment there!

What a good example of how things get out of hand, a bruised leg suddenly turns into a broken leg, and a relatively minor accident is one step away from grievous bodily harm, because of what people want to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

link

link 2

links effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This whole incident brongs to mind that episode of the Simpsons when Mr Burns knocks down Bart and they both give their totally different recollections of the incident in court.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

sprinkles wrote: »
    Wow. This thread really devolved into crap.

Anyway, I'm glad Capello got shot of him. It's clear that something like this has the potential to split the dressing room mere months before the WC. What Terry did was stupid and cowardly but even though I really despise him for the money grabbing, dodgy dealing, serial cheating ways I don't think he's should be burned at the stake but he didn't help himself in the wake of the scandal either. There is no doubt that plenty of footballers out there are playing away from home (sorry) and to make such a big deal about this case is unfortunate for Terry, and more so for his wife and kids. However the fact is he was the Captain of England. He's supposed to lead a group of players, earn their trust so that he can help rally them when they're 1 nil down to Portugal. He lost that trust and his silent response to the whole affair has led him in the same direction as Tiger Woods. It would have been a far better thing for him to come out and resign the captaincy - making it easier for Capello, and publically apologise to his wife AND Wayne Bridge. At least people could have found some sliver respect for him for doing that. Alas he didn't. He hid from the public when times got tough. Not exactly leadership qualities....

This could not be more right!

Advertisement