Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favourite flavours?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 5:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about dishes, as such, rather what flavours or ingredients do you really like? For me, it's cinnamon and garlic (not together!). If I see a dish or recipe that involves either of these, I generally want to try it. I believe they food better! For instance, garlic potatoes kick the ass of normal potatoes, and cinnamon ice-cream is amazing.

What does it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I totally agree on cinnamon and garlic.

I also love basil, thyme and tarragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Chorizo. I can't leave it behind on a menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chilli is my favourite, I'd eat it in anything.

Chilli and Chocolate ice-cream is something I'd like to make, just to taste it (I've done frozen chocolate stuffed chillies for a dinner party after desert surprise, but almost everyone ran a mile).

Garlic is a weird one for me, I like the flavour it brings to certain things, as part of the recipe, but don't really like it as a standalone flavour. (and I think whoever first thought of putting garlic with seafood needs shooting).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Even garlic with prawns?? I LOVE that!

Love the flavour of Chinese 5 spice, it just makes everything wonderful. Also I love the taste of a well seasoned meat - doesn't matter what meat it is but you can always taste if its been seasoned and rested right. mmmm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Des wrote: »
    (and I think whoever first thought of putting garlic with seafood needs shooting).

:eek:

Garlic and seafood are a match made in heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Have to agree with Chorizo, love cooking with it Garlic with prawn, fab!

Also love cumin, lime, corriandar & chilli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Definitely Garlic. I love ginger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know there are lots of spices and herbs and lovely flavours out there but garlic has to still be one of my favourite if not the best flavour ever!
    Garlic butter and prawns..one of the most heavenly tastes ever.

Beginning to appreciate cinnamon more and more, it's christamas in your gob.

I love Cardemom but also caraway seeds.

Sea salt..can't live without it.

Cherry flavoured ice cream lovely kind of almond taste from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kimia wrote: »
    Even garlic with prawns?? I LOVE that!
    Faith wrote: »
    :eek:

Garlic and seafood are a match made in heaven!

:D Heh, different tastebuds I suppose. I can't stand it.

Oh, I love lime too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Beef dripping - the sort of atomised aroma of dripping that says there's a roast in the oven or a steak on the grill - and dripping in the trays for yorkshire puds:D

Garlic with seafood (sorry Des) but garlic with a light sauce of tomato, white wine and lots of fish and shellfish is a knockout.

Gremolata (lemon rind, raw garlic and parsley chopped finely) is the mutt's on veal. Particularly osso bucco - cooked in a tomato, garlic and white wine sauce, then sprinkle liberally with the gremolata. It's also good on lots of white meats - chicken, rabbit - but never on cornflakes:eek:

In fact, garlic in almost any form. Confit of garlic - whole heads of garlic cooked long and low in oil or butter - add that to a steak plate and squeeze the garlic out of the papery skins to mash on the plate and lash over each piece of steak. Gorgeous mellow flavour. Chicken with forty cloves of garlic - classic!

Or the other extreme - raw garlic in sauces. Chimichurri for steaks - blue cheese dressing with celery sticks and buffalo wings - any Asian fish sauce mixture on salads, like Thai beef salad. The only side effect of raw garlic seems to be a raging thirst (or was that the beer?)

Hello, my name is Minder and I'm a garlaholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭sporina

Garlic for sure - and garlic and chilli

loving the thai flavor profile for ages now - lemon grass, coconut, lime...hmm devine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Garlic definatley, my boyfriend's mum makes the world's most amazing garlic roast potatoes...

Love garlic and chilli together and I love white chocolate desserts.

I love using parsley in cooking as well, even though it's seen as being very generic, I just love chopping up a big bunch of really fresh flat leaf parsley and using it in sauces and especially in homemade salsa.

And I love love love onions... french onion soup *Drool*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Garlic and Ginger. Would have them with everything!

I also love the taste of creamy based things (e.g. creamy sauces and things). That can make any meal way nicer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it's all about the garlic...and soy sauce ,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chili.

I could describe other flavours, but it would be similar to comparing Everest and the Dublin Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Garlic, orange, butter, grape, mushy peas.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I love corriander, I'll make salads as a side to some asian dishes and use corriander leaf as the only greenary, just so fresh tasting.

Caramalised onions, nom nom nom/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This is really hard! I can't narrow it down to only a few flavours. I just love almost all food.

Ok, I do love the taste of avocado. Creamy mushroom sauce. Chorizo. And rare, almost blue steak. Mango.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Cardamom, garlic, ginger, chili, lemongrass, lime, smoked salmon and that smokey bbq-ey taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Raw onions with steak gravy
    Well-fried fat on a steak
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Lime
    Fresh chillis
    Coriander
    Fennel
    Cardamom
    Smoked ground chillis
    Tabasco
    Stinky cheeses (any)
    Tomato+basil
    Butter on hot toast
    Sweetness of deep fried haddock or skate wings
    Scallions & salad cream
    Crispy rasher rind
    Strawberry+chilli
    Liver
    Cucumber+vinegar+white pepper
    Mashed potatoes & turnips with butter
    Fried scallions & tomatoes with steak gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Toasted Sesame Seeds
    Garlic
    Chilli
    Coriander
    Basil
    Raisins
    Lemon
    Anything with a fresh clean taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

More love for garlic here.
    Tomato (probably the most useful foodstuff ever)
    Raspberry
    Mint
    Citrus (apart from grapefruit)
    Sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

tomatoes and Chili
    tomatoes and Basil (especially in a Pesto)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

3 flavours/ smells I never get fed up with:
    lemon
    cinnamon
    mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

cinnamon,
    lemon,
    lime,
    garlic,
    chocolate
    mint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭sporina

aren't we talking about flavor combinations here?

but if we are talking about food in general...

I adore vine ripened tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh buffalo mozzarella with balsmamic vinegar and olive oil with fresh crusty whole grain rustic bread.. complete with a glass of chianti.. end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

FRESHLY GRATED NUTMEG!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,506 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Brilliant to see the love of the garlic around here :D

I'm so with Kimia and Faith on this one - olive oil and lots of garlic on my favourite garlic dish: tapas garlic prawns. Anyone got a good recipe?

Reminds me I still have that half price frozen lobster (Lidl, 3.99 iirc) in the freezer. Heat it and serve with a sauce of mayo and finely cut up raw garlic - I can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tomato
    Basil
    Garlic
    Vanilla
    Lime
    Lemon
    Chorizo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fresh Leaf Coriander
    Star Anise