Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get winkles??

Options
  • 05-02-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get myself some winkles, although not everybody's taste I think they're fanatstic!:D

Reminds me of when I was younger all the family in me nanny's fighting over who would get the last few!

Anybody knows where to get them? I have tried 1 or 2 fish mongers who have said that they dont even know what they are!

Anybody know where I will get some??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Haven't seen them since I was a kid 20 years ago! I too would love to know where to get them.

Winkles are found along rocky shores where there is an abundance of algae, so I suppose we could just go an get our own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Haven't seen them since I was a kid 20 years ago! I too would love to know where to get them.

Winkles are found along rocky shores where there is an abundance of algae, so I suppose we could just go an get our own!

Yea I know where there found alright, me granda use to pick them but I was told there is a knack to it, like you have to know which ones are good enough to eat because if ya get a dodgy one you would know all about!

Somebody said Wrights of Marino so im gonna ring them first thing in the morning and see, if I have any success with that I will let ya now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Anybody knows where to get them? I have tried 1 or 2 fish mongers who have said that they dont even know what they are!

Were they Irish fishmongers???????
    I've seen them selling on Moore St but you'd be better off picking your own!!!
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a few around the rocky pools near Portmarnock Beach.
    I earned a fortune as a teenager picking them and no mad hours or boss screaming at me. They are pretty easy to find just don't mix them up with the purple "horsewinkle" :eek:

There also used to be a good fishmongers between Portobello Bridge and "The Bleedin Horse".
    If you are really desperate P.m me and I should be able to get ya a few.

Advertisement