Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD Drive for Xbox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Likely... I say likely legit however it's a bit useless as it's an obsolete format now and no new HD-DVD movies will ever be released. Blue Ray sunk it nearly immediately. Hence the cheapness I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've got mine in GameStop year ago for 7.99!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

When they were discontinued, Xtravision was selling them for €10 for awhile, brand new... Like Calex71 said, pretty much useless now - you can only launch DVDs/HD-DVDs off it anyway, not game discs to at least save some swapping. I have one lying around on a shelf somewhere - complete doorstop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I got one of those xtra vision ones when they were a tenner. worth it purely for the remote but the drive itself is fine. i picked up about 11 or 12 HD-DVDs while they were still available and going for dirt cheap. In terms of quality its identical to bluray but as they are no longer being produced, it's a bit pointless to get one now seeing as hd-dvds would be hard to find

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

I dont see the point in buying these? Like is such a tiny ammount of films left on the ''HD-DVD'' format? and there will be no new ones ever... as retailers will not ever be selling them. And how can this display a 1080P signal if its connected by a USB cable to the 360??? Its a pointless/worthless piece of kit if you ask me, another example of microsofts ability to construct the absolute worst hardware!!! The Xbox 360 will never have a 'real' High definition optical drive! only the crappy cheap Dual layer DVD for games!

And about people saying the quality is ''identical to Blu-ray'' thats untrue, Blu-ray can store 10 times the capacity and has way more features like BD-LIVE, On screen menu, Games, Different versions of film and the list goes on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

HD DVD lost, I'm sure people were "faxing" messages like these over 20 years ago asking friend's if they thought a 50p betamax player was too good to be true.

Streaming HD content is where microsoft want to go, if you want a HD movie collection I suggest buying a cheapish blu ray player.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    HD DVD lost, I'm sure people were "faxing" messages like these over 20 years ago asking friend's if they thought a 50p betamax player was too good to be true.

Streaming HD content is where microsoft want to go, if you want a HD movie collection I suggest buying a cheapish blu ray player.

Exactly ''Steaming HD Films by Xbox LIVE is the only way Microsoft can exploit High definition content'' on the 360. And they are ridiculously overpriced and you can only rent them for 1 night only! for around 6-8 euro! Its such a waste of money!!! Im glad they lost the Blu-ray V HD-DVD battle!!! Giving Sony the authority!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I got one in extra vision and fount it a bit pointless. But then I think blu ray is pointless also. Handy extrrnal DVD drive for PC applications though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Take what money you'd spend on that, and buy yourself a nice dvd (off of zune, we all know xtravision sucks), and some goodies to enjoy it with ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

And about people saying the quality is ''identical to Blu-ray'' thats untrue, Blu-ray can store 10 times the capacity and has way more features like BD-LIVE, On screen menu, Games, Different versions of film and the list goes on....

EH no sorry, you're completely wrong! The standard capacities are as follows

HD-DVD: SL = 15GB, DL = 30GB
    Blu-ray: SL = 25GB, DL = 50GB

That is 1.66 times the capacity, along way from 10. Theoretical maximums don't really count as they're never likely to be implemented. Flash memory will overtake optical discs before discs above 50GB become a common requirement.

Both can display full 1080p video and there virtually is no difference in quality.

The main difference beside the capacity is in Blu-Rays support for the superior Java format over HD-DVD's support for HDi, for creating interactive menus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I dont see the point in buying these? Like is such a tiny ammount of films left on the ''HD-DVD'' format? and there will be no new ones ever... as retailers will not ever be selling them. And how can this display a 1080P signal if its connected by a USB cable to the 360??? Its a pointless/worthless piece of kit if you ask me, another example of microsofts ability to construct the absolute worst hardware!!! The Xbox 360 will never have a 'real' High definition optical drive! only the crappy cheap Dual layer DVD for games!

you've gotta hate fanbois :p
    trotting out the usual crap and showing that they really know nothing outside of whatever they support be it apple/linux/xbox/ps3 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Quality on both is similar, one couldn't see difference.
    And you can still pick up some films cheaply.

sink wrote: »
    EH no sorry, you're completely wrong! The standard capacities are as follows

HD-DVD: SL = 15GB, DL = 30GB
    Blu-ray: SL = 25GB, DL = 50GB

That is 1.66 times the capacity, along way from 10. Theoretical maximums don't really count as they're never likely to be implemented. Flash memory will overtake optical discs before discs above 50GB become a common requirement.

Both can display full 1080p video and there virtually is no difference in quality.

The main difference beside the capacity is in Blu-Rays support for the superior Java format over HD-DVD's support for HDi, for creating interactive menus.

Your making an absolute fool of yourself!!! Blu-ray capacity is 50 to 100 GB on dual layer, yes i repeat a 100 GB!!! And again your wrong, Blu-ray quality is far superior, It can support 7.1 Surround sound including in Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Im not even going to ramble on about how much better Blu-ray is than so called ''HD-DVD'' I would be here all night long!!!

BOTTOM LINE IS HD-DVD = GARBAGE. BLU-RAY = WAY OF THE FUTURE

Oh and one more thing, send my condolences to HD-DVD for me will you???

hddvd_grave.jpg

Nope im sorry but your wrong about your Capacity, Blu-ray capacity is 50 to 100 GB on dual layer, yes i repeat a 100 GB!!! And again your wrong, Blu-ray quality is far superior, It can support 7.1 Surround sound including in Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Im not even going to ramble on about how much better Blu-ray is than so called ''HD-DVD'' I would be here all night long!!!

hddvd_grave.jpg
    Christ you're on a troll-roll today aren't you? Every post I've seen from you has been ps3 fagboy posts. Mind presenting proof of 100gb? I know 50gb is a definite figure, but this is the first I've heard of 100gb

Slugs wrote: »
    Christ you're on a troll-roll today aren't you? Every post I've seen from you has been ps3 fagboy posts. Mind presenting proof of 100gb? I know 50gb is a definite figure, but this is the first I've heard of 100gb

http://www.n4g.com/News-72587.aspx

Also note the Blu-Ray companies are working on a 200 GB Disk ! so Try defending Your ****ty incompatible HD-DVD to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

http://www.n4g.com/News-72587.aspx

Also note the Blu-Ray companies are working on a 200 GB Disk ! so Try defending Your ****ty incompatible HD-DVD to that!

wow, you are some twat and a half. HD-DVD died, its not news and either is the fact that both formats were near identical at the time of when both formats were in the market.

Your making an absolute fool of yourself!!! Blu-ray capacity is 50 to 100 GB on dual layer, yes i repeat a 100 GB!!! And again your wrong, Blu-ray quality is far superior, It can support 7.1 Surround sound including in Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Im not even going to ramble on about how much better Blu-ray is than so called ''HD-DVD'' I would be here all night long!!!

hddvd_grave.jpg

Um, you'll notice I said "standard size", 100GB is not standard and is very rare and 200GB doesn't even work on standard drives. Neither the 100GB or 200GB are actually on sale as no movie/game requires that much space. I also discounted them as a factor due to the rapid advance of flash memory; before they ever have a chance to become mainstream flash will overtake them as the ubiquitous storage medium.

Dolby True HD and DTS HD are also not part of the standard and require a compatible player which are much more expensive. They also were a late addition to the format being developed after the death of HD-DVD. If HD-DVD had won the war it too would have eventually developed Dolby True HD and DTS HD as a late addition. Plans for it's introduction were even announced inn this article.

Now stop ranting like a child, I hold no personal stake in which is better format, I couldn't give a **** tbh. All I wanted was one format to win so I wouldn't waste my money.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    wow, you are some twat and a half. HD-DVD died, its not news and either is the fact that both formats were near identical at the time of when both formats were in the market.

No, You seem like the right dope to me, I didnt mention they were identical, my case was towards Blu-ray being the superior format you f.ucking dope! You'd know you'd have to be from CORK WOULDNT YOU! Go and get back to work on your farm, culchie!

dingleman.gif

Thing is it didn't, It never would have, it didn't stand a chance! Get over it and face the fact that HD-DVD was absolutely rubbish! Im not going to waste anymore time defending Blu-ray.

Bow to Sony whenever you want!

You seriously need to get a life.

FYI, I own a PS3 and a HTPC with a blu-ray burner (that can also read HD-DVD's) and a few dozen blu-rays. That doesn't mean I need to worship it. On top of that I own an Xbox 360 a Gaming PC, each format has it's own strengths a weaknesses.

TBH I don't know why i'm bothering to reply, you're coming across as nothing but a troll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

6 month category ban for The Aviator.

Think we can do without this sort of poster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

No, You seem like the right dope to me, I didnt mention they were identical, my case was towards Blu-ray being the superior format you f.ucking dope! You'd know you'd have to be from CORK WOULDNT YOU! Go and get back to work on your farm, culchie!

Bit OTT there..hopefully a mod gives you a ban for a week or so to let you cool off.

Edit: ^ 6 months..even a better idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If your mother sought to raise a moronic, racist, clueless troll, then im sure she is very proud of you.

Mod, close this.

Cork don't be a twat, keep thread open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Corcaigh just because he's banned for six months doesn't mean you can slug in a few more bits of abuse. Consider this a warning. Another bit pb and you get a 2 week holiday in the land of keyboards and mice.

But I will grant your request of a thread lock the op's questions were answered and the later half of this thread is purely troll baiting and of no worth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement