Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempt to obtain an IP address timed out?

• 05-02-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with my PS3 at the minute. It cannot obtain an IP address. On my computer, the "Local Area Connection" which links to the playstation has limited or no connectivity and hitting the repair button does nothing.

I have it set up so that my meteor broadband dongle is in my computer and connected. I have then shared this connection (allowed other network users connect through this connection). I have an ethernet cable from my computer to my PS3. It worked fine for ages and I was even getting NAT 2 but since I downloaded and installed SKYPE on my computer, my PS3 cannot obtain an IP address.

I thought it might just be a small thing so I rebooted both my computer/PS3 to no avail. After 2 days of no MW2 it has gone too far and I want to get it solved but I cannot uninstall SKYPE from my computer. I have tried doing it through the add/remove programs but it couldn't uninstall and then I tried to manually delete it from C: > program files > Skype > delete but it couldn't uninstall, saying it is being used by another program even though it can been closed.

If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it. I have already posted in PS3 category but since it seems to be a computer problem, I'n re-posting it here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Boot up the pc and tap F8 as windows starts loading.(so just after bios screen).

Choose safemode when you are prompted, uninstall skype when you get into Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

try revo uninstaller or glary utilities. both available on download.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with my PS3 at the minute. It cannot obtain an IP address. On my computer, the "Local Area Connection" which links to the playstation has limited or no connectivity and hitting the repair button does nothing.

I have it set up so that my meteor broadband dongle is in my computer and connected. I have then shared this connection (allowed other network users connect through this connection). I have an ethernet cable from my computer to my PS3. It worked fine for ages and I was even getting NAT 2 but since I downloaded and installed SKYPE on my computer, my PS3 cannot obtain an IP address.

I thought it might just be a small thing so I rebooted both my computer/PS3 to no avail. After 2 days of no MW2 it has gone too far and I want to get it solved but I cannot uninstall SKYPE from my computer. I have tried doing it through the add/remove programs but it couldn't uninstall and then I tried to manually delete it from C: > program files > Skype > delete but it couldn't uninstall, saying it is being used by another program even though it can been closed.

If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it. I have already posted in PS3 category but since it seems to be a computer problem, I'n re-posting it here.

Are you sure Skype is not still running in the system tray in the bottom right hand corner when you try the uninstall? This could be what is happening as when you close the Skype window it doesn't shut it down but keeps running in the vackground. Just right click on the icon and select quit. Should uninstall then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I had closed it from tray but still wouldn't uninstall. I had tried an f12 hdd reboot but it still didn't work. Using safe mode i managed to uninstall it but now I'm receiving an error 31 from my mobile dongle. 30 minutes on the phone with meteor couldn't solve the problem. Now in device manager I am getting a bang (yellow circle w/ black exclamation) on my RAS async adaptor and this is giving the same error code. I was going to uninstall the driver and try to reinstall it but I'm not sure whether I can reinstall/update it since I no longer have an internet connection. I am currently on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Has anything else changed, other than the install of Skype?
    Can you open command prompt on your computer, type ipconfig /all and post results?
    And if the computer is directly connected to the PS3, are you using a crossover cable? And is it undamaged?

• Advertisement

RT66 wrote: »
    Has anything else changed, other than the install of Skype?
    Can you open command prompt on your computer, type ipconfig /all and post results?
    And if the computer is directly connected to the PS3, are you using a crossover cable? And is it undamaged?
    Don't think so, SKYPE was the only recently installed program. I did perform an F12 hdd and cddvdrw+drive reboot but that is all.
    results:
    Windows Ip comfig;
    host name; JacksNotebook
    primary dns suffix; blank
    node type; broadcast
    Ip routing enabled; no
    wins proxy enabled; no

ethernet adapter local area connection:
    connection specific dns suffix; blank
    description; broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

roller:
    physical address;00-15-C5-6E-BA-A0
    DHCP enabled;yes
    autoconfig enabled; yes
    ip address;0.0.0.0
    subnet mask;0.0.0.0
    default gateway;blank
    Dhcp server;255.255.255.255

afaik my ethernet cable is fully functioning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

In your position, I'd start from scratch. Get the dongle reinstalled and working first.
    Then redo your connection sharing.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling broadband to go but as i said, i get error 31 everytime i try and connect. 30 minute phone call with meteor couldn't solve this. In device manager, my RAS Async Adapter is returning the same error and i don't want to uninstall it since i won't be able to download it again due to my lack of internet connection. I'm currently using my phone. Its solving this error that is my problem. I think that is the root of my problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jmuni

Jackobyte

Can you confirm that the Windows firewall / Internet connection sharing service is running ???

start -> run -> services.msc

muni

jmuni wrote: »
    Jackobyte

Can you confirm that the Windows firewall / Internet connection sharing service is running ???

start -> run -> services.msc

muni
    Its status is "started" so that sounds like its working to me???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

open Device manager and deleted ALL the USB entries. Yes, all of them
    Then click Action/Scan for hardware and let the machine re-detect the hardware.
    If it all goes tits up you can always system restore to say yesterday

meteordongle1.jpg

Looks USB to me

I think it's pretty obvious the op can't connect on-line with his USB dongle.
    First things first indeed.

That USB key should also add a virtual cdrom where the Meteor software/drivers are. Can you also see an extra cdrom driver listed?

No MAC address listed for his Meteor dongle in his post above either, only his working Broadcom NIC (Dell MAC)

Anyway, code 31 is usually cdrom drive related.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

No harm trying the steps there and a reboot.

Haha...pay attention :rolleyes:

The ICS network card will not have a gateway, just an ip address & subnet mask. The reason we are seeing 0.0.0.0 is simply ICS is not configured. We'd see a 192.168.0.* address on the LAN otherwise. Since the op hasn't a working usb dongle, ICS will not work. (ICS needs 2 network connections to work)
    If/when the op does get this sorted he would be far better off using a network bridge. Sure XP SP3 has a well know ICS bugs in it whereby you need to restart the ICS service after making a change or if the network cable is unplugged. (I assuming XP here tho)

OP's main concern right now is getting a working internet connection, which in turn he can tackle the ICS/bridging issue.

OP,
    Can you download the attached file, unzip and run it. Reboot when prompted
    (Again I'm assuming XP....only run if you're running XP)
    This will repair the remote access components of XP there.....maybe getting rid of the yellow ! in device manager.

Whoa, whoa there...take is easy there horse.
    It's you who needs to read the thread.

What is the point in the OP re-running the ICS wizard if he only has one network connection?

Well?

You may remember this tibbit of info from earlier on in the thread....

Windows Ip comfig;
    host name; JacksNotebook
    primary dns suffix; blank
    node type; broadcast
    Ip routing enabled; no
    wins proxy enabled; no

ethernet adapter local area connection:
    connection specific dns suffix; blank
    description; broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

roller:
    physical address;00-15-C5-6E-BA-A0
    DHCP enabled;yes
    autoconfig enabled; yes
    ip address;0.0.0.0
    subnet mask;0.0.0.0
    default gateway;blank
    Dhcp server;255.255.255.255

I count one network adapter listed. As I said already ICS needs at least two on the host PC to work. Did I just google that or pull it outta my arse?
    Maybe I did both?

Hey ho, here we go:

jmuni wrote:
    You are attempting to fix something that has not even been confirmed that is broken.

See here:
    .....Using safe mode i managed to uninstall it but now I'm receiving an error 31 from my mobile dongle. 30 minutes on the phone with meteor couldn't solve the problem. Now in device manager I am getting a bang (yellow circle w/ black exclamation) on my RAS async adaptor and this is giving the same error code. I was going to uninstall the driver and try to reinstall it but I'm not sure whether I can reinstall/update it since I no longer have an internet connection. I am currently on my phone.

jmuni wrote:
    Quote " I have it set up so that my meteor broadband dongle is in my computer and connected." - sounds connected to me. ( maybe he ran the ipconfig /all before the dongle connection.)

Oh dear oh dear.....

Post 5 the OP has no internet and by post 7 we get the ipconfig info.
    jmuni wrote:
    *****"This will repair the remote access components of XP there.....maybe getting rid of the yellow ! in device manager." ***** - --> WHO SAID THERE WAS A DEVICE / DRIVER PROBLEM ???

Microsoft do
    I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling broadband to go but as i said, i get error 31 everytime i try and connect. 30 minute phone call with meteor couldn't solve this. In device manager, my RAS Async Adapter is returning the same error and i don't want to uninstall it since i won't be able to download it again due to my lack of internet connection. I'm currently using my phone. Its solving this error that is my problem. I think that is the root of my problems
    Microsoft wrote:
    Code 31
    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    jmuni wrote:
    Run this, uninstall that usb device, cd rom is broken....do you have any bloody idea ?? Or are you just goolging anything you can find???

One sec and I'll Google Bing a fancy answer to satisfy you.

Jesus, I'm trying to help the OP, not have a handbag fight on a bloody forum. Go make a cup of tea or something.

jmuni wrote: »
    Jaysus !!! Not even one suggestion as to rectify the problem...well done...

If that's not handbags at 50 paces what is ??? Cup of tea - wha???

I'll go and get the knicker wrench for ye...back in a mo...

Ah you're a gas man. Rise above it man, go on, it's ok to admit you're wrong.

Sorry OP, your thread is starting to be a pain to read.

Let us know how that fix I posted goes for you. Or maybe I should just tell you to plug your modem into the back of the cornflakes box in the kitchen and re-run the ICS wizard for any good it will do you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jmuni

Maybe I am wrong and I'll be the first to raise my hand and say it.

We'll see I suppose...

Well done for not letting it get to you too much. You obviously REALLY REALLY like PC's.

You must be a real whiz.:D

So, I'll remove my posts where necessary as to make sure your posts are focused upon.

I'm confused!!! I had rarepair on my computer from previous problems with a 3 dongle. Is this what you want me to run or do you want me to remove all usb software from device manager? Or both?

Leaving the USB modem connected, remove all the USB entries from device manager and reboot. Some of them may take a few tries to disappear. Say no to reboot until they are all gone and only then reboot.

Remove them all one at a time.....your DM will be slightly different.

device-manager-usb-devices.gif

Once your logged back in you'll see windows re-detected all the hardware.
    All the USB host controllers should auto install again.

Do that and see if the modem's virtual cdrom drive is detected. That's where the drivers for it will be. With any luck it will auto install too.

Does this include the intel ones or just the usb root ones???

• Advertisement

Includes all of them. Get rid of them all and reboot.
    Now realize if you have a USB mouse or keyboard they'll stop working all of a sudden until you reboot.
    If you've PS/2 your fine.

I do this from time to time with the Vodafone dongles so I've seen this before. They're much the same (3, O2, vodefone, meteor etc)

All uninstalled and currently rebooting. I have a laptop on xp sp3 so no need for usb keyboard/mouse although i do own a bluetooth set which i bought to help with a business presentation without blocking screen

No effect, still receiving error 31 and no virtual cdrom showed up in my computer window.
    edit:virtual cd showed up on an uninstall/reinstall attempt.

Good...that's a good sign anyway.
    Is there any 'Huawei' entries in device manager? Most of these modem are made by Huawei as far as I know.

Check under 'modems', 'Com ports' and also for any 'Mass storage' devices under USB and/or 'Disk drives'. Delete them too and again try a reboot.

The idea here to to flush out as much of that modem from DM in order to get a clean install. The CDrom being picked up is a good sign anyway.

I'm after removing/uninstalling everything. This will be my last attempt of the night. If this fails I'll leave it until tomorrow because i have to head to bed. Exams tomorrow!!! :(

One more thing I'll quickly add is it might be worth you're while to enter safe mode again and check device manager. You may find a rake of 'ghost' entries for the modem. Same craic again, delete them and reboot. (You can't add hardware while in safemode, but you can delete fine)

Hope you get it sorted man.

Ok, i don't have time to try that tonight but thats the first thing I'll try tomorrow. Is that called the system registry??? When we first swapped to meteor we were receiving an error that we couldn't get rid of. We said someone Š100 to fix it. Something about the previous modem causing problems in the system registry. And after removing all things huawai from normal mode and rebooting, it still failed. I'll go checking for ghosts in safe mode tomorrow.

No luck ghost hunting but tomorrow my mother is bringing the laptop to work and seeing what the IT guys can do for me.

Now the drivers for the modem won't install. Meteor are offering an entire new modem though. Can't pick it up until after school tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Meteor have sent the modem to be fixed. 10 working days! :mad:

Got a replacement device which also does not work. I'm almost 100% certain the problem lies in the RAS Async Adapter. I have ran an update on this but this does not work and cannot find an update.

I have tried uninstalling it but it won't allow me saying it may be required to boot the system. I have tried to find a download for it but it seems all the sites link to another site. Can anyone help.

Did you try the rarepair.zip from page one?

The_Edge wrote: »
    Did you try the rarepair.zip from page one?
    Ya, i have. I can't fix it myself so i've contacted a computer repairs guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

System restore back a day before you installed skype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

+1

also plugging your PS3 directly via ethernet won't work, you've no dhcp set up.

in order for it to work you would have to give poth your PC and ps3 a static IP address, the default gateway on your PC would need to be the IP Address of the PC and your PC would need to have ICS set up correctly.

• Advertisement

+1

also plugging your PS3 directly via ethernet won't work, you've no dhcp set up.

in order for it to work you would have to give poth your PC and ps3 a static IP address, the default gateway on your PC would need to be the IP Address of the PC and your PC would need to have ICS set up correctly.
    I don't exactly understand what that means but when the mobile broadband is working, i can share the connection to the ps3 just by plugging in the ethernet cable and enabling internet connection sharing on the broadband connection in network connections.

I'm working again. In the end, the HD had to be formatted and the OS reinstalled. Now my system is quick again at booting and loading.

Advertisement