Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Counterfeit Guitar Bust Yields 861 Gibson Fakes, Ends with Prison Sentence

• 05-02-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Might be against boards rules to discuss fake guitars, but this is up on the offcial Gibson website. 3 years in the slammer for this.

The recent arrest and three-year jail sentencing of Beijing’s Li Dan was a monumental victory against the proliferation of counterfeit guitars. Not only were 1,200 fake guitars seized, but years of efforts on the part of the Gibson, the Electric Guitar Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition (EGACC) – which consists of Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez and Paul Reed Smith – and Chinese legal authorities paid off, leading to the sentencing of Li Dan.

Dan operated paylessguitar.com.cn, paylessguitars.com, musoland.com.cn and musoland.com, web domains that targeted overseas consumers with alluringly inexpensive fake guitars advertised as authentic Epiphone, Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Ibanez, and Paul Reed Smith brand guitars. Of the 1,200 guitars seized at Li Dan’s warehouse and retail outlet this past fall, 861 were Gibson and Epiphone branded.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/counterfeit-guitar-bust-708/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Wow, that's big news. Only three years though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I couldn't think aof another thread worth talking about today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Might be against boards rules to discuss fake guitars ]
    Its strange how its against their rules, yet they're advertised on the top of this page :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Its strange how its against their rules, yet they're advertised on the top of this page :confused:

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Google ads probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

click on Electric Guitar Wholesale

I dont agree with fake copys but then didnt gibson bring out a hendrix strat recently! surely its in the category somewhere
    Although I did lust after a gretsch jupiter thunderbird i saw for $300 a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Now this begs the question, where Li Dan's fake guitars of better quality than Gibson's current stock ??? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Chinese legal authorities paid off

Taken out of context, I found this amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

dazberry wrote: »
    Now this begs the question, where Li Dan's fake guitars of better quality than Gibson's current stock ??? :p

I wonder do Gibson actually have a good look at what these lads are producing, quality wise, with limited resources/cheap materials etc.
    I reckon if Henry J and the boys stay in charge of Gibson there will be off-shore/ Chinese manafacturing at some point in the not too distant future.

I really can't see dilution of the brand name causing the bean counters any lack of sleep, the 'Hell Yeah, American made baby!!" Yanks maybe, but I'm sure Chinese/off-shore manafacturing has been under consideration at some point. Come to think of it a new run of Fujigen/Terrada manafactured Orvilles and OBG's would be nice!!

Advertisement