Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to maintain FVWSH - Shop around for quotes?

• 05-02-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

The GTI I bought last week is due a service. It's a '06 with 67k kms on her. Service alarm went off yesterday so I'd like to get it to a garage soon enough.

The lad I bought from kept it in fantastic order, along with having the manual fully stamped with VW servicing. Even though I have used my own indy mechanic for the past 3 years with my other Golf, I like the idea of maintaining the FVWSH with the GTI.

I'm based in Limerick so off the top of my head Hogan's and Elm Motors (VW aftersales afaik) are the city based ones whereas there is Newcastle West and Pierce Motors in Tipp, slightly further afield.

Should I ring them all up, give them a brief rundown of what has been done previously, and ask for a quote?

Can accurate quotes be given in this manner, or would I be better off driving the car to them?

Do servicing charges tend to differ much from one garage to the next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Christ yes. Ring them all!
    I found a difference of roughly €80 between two different opel dealers when my car was due its 1st service. Considering it probably only needed a once over and an oil change that was a massive difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Service depends on what it needs, Id check previous history to see whats been done before. At 4 years old its possible it needs brake pads and or discs, brake fluid change and new plugs, all these will easily double or triple the cost from the standard oil and filter change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Thankfully the logbook has a check mark beside each component/part depending on what was done in previous services. I'm certain brake fluid was done on the last one, but I have a feeling spark plugs may be due.

I'll check the history this evening, and might even post up what has been done. I think I'll definately be ringing around tomorrow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Have to recommend Blackwater Motors in Fermoy great to deal with. I know it maybe a bit far for you to travel but they have a very good rep and their opening hours may suit you.

alexmcred wrote: »
    Have to recommend Blackwater Motors in Fermoy great to deal with. I know it maybe a bit far for you to travel but they have a very good rep and their opening hours may suit you.

Cheers, I actually wouldn't mind the spin to Fermoy. Especially for a good price and service etc.

• Advertisement

On another note........ if I found out all that needs to be done to the car......is there any money to be saved by sourcing all the required OEM parts myself and then bringing them to a garage and just paying them for the labour?

Or are the savings just marginal and not worth the hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fizman wrote: »
    On another note........ if I found out all that needs to be done to the car......is there any money to be saved by sourcing all the required OEM parts myself and then bringing them to a garage and just paying them for the labour?

Or are the savings just marginal and not worth the hassle?

No most garages will not accept your own parts, even if they are OEM, this is likely to be the case with a main dealer as it could open them up to liability should the parts be defective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

was your old garage looking after your car well? If so I would stick to them.
    Just because they are main dealers dose not mean that Johnny that started last week wont be servicing your car. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind:D

500sel wrote: »
    was your old garage looking after your car well? If so I would stick to them.
    Just because they are main dealers dose not mean that Johnny that started last week wont be servicing your car. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind:D

Ya to be fair my mechanic seemed to do the job right each time. The only thing now is, the garage he worked for over the past number of years went wallop several months ago so I'm not sure if he can actually, for want of a better term, 'stamp' the log book with an authentic service.

This would be my biggest fear. That in 2-3 years when I go to sell it on, potential buyers see that the VW servicing stopped at me and I have gone the cheaper route of getting one of the lads to look at it (what they will probably be thinking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ya to be fair my mechanic seemed to do the job right each time. The only thing now is, the garage he worked for over the past number of years went wallop several months ago so I'm not sure if he can actually, for want of a better term, 'stamp' the log book with an authentic service.

This would be my biggest fear. That in 2-3 years when I go to sell it on, potential buyers see that the VW servicing stopped at me and I have gone the cheaper route of getting one of the lads to look at it (what they will probably be thinking).

If you think that having a FVWSH in a 8 year old car is going to make you any money your mad, no offence. The car will be 8-9 years old when your selling it. Once it has a FSH you can sell it easy, without a FSH you can still sell it. If your mechanic hasn't access to a main stealer stamp, just keep the receipt with what parts where done in the service book and save your money.

No one is going to pay a premium for a FVWSH in an 8 year old car, especially since most main stealer service work is usually done by the newest apprentice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Is your guy working for himself in an official capacity? If so he can sign your book and it is just as good as a stamp bought off viking direct.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you think that having a FVWSH in a 8 year old car is going to make you any money your mad, no offence. The car will be 8-9 years old when your selling it. Once it has a FSH you can sell it easy, without a FSH you can still sell it. If your mechanic hasn't access to a main stealer stamp, just keep the receipt with what parts where done in the service book and save your money.

No one is going to pay a premium for a FVWSH in an 8 year old car, especially since most main stealer service work is usually done by the newest apprentice.

I didn't mention anything about an 8-9 year old car though! It is 4 years old right now, and it's a car (all going well) I'll own for 2-3 years. The condition it's in resembles that of a 4 month old car, and I intend on keeping it that way. In 2-3 years time the Mk5 GTI will still be going for good money, and I believe that a FVWSH would stand it in good stead tbh.
    500sel wrote: »
    Is your guy working for himself in an official capacity? If so he can sign your book and it is just as good as a stamp bought off viking direct.

That's the thing. I'm not 100% sure if he is. I must give him a bell but my gut says that he isn't!

Anywho....I've just rung around to get quotes. By the looks of it, a major is due (67,700 kms on her), and spark plugs, air/pollen filters look likely.

I rang five VW aftersales providers and got the following:

- €280
    - €310 (exclusive of spark plugs)
    - €249 (inclusive of sparks, air/pollen filter)
    - €299 (inclusive of sparks, air/pollen filter)
    - €250 (sparks, filters)

I didn't include the garage names beside the corresponding quotes as I'm not sure if mods would appreciate that info being posted. If there is no problems with it I can add them as I'm sure a few would be interested.
    [/LIST]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I didn't mention anything about an 8-9 year old car though! It is 4 years old right now, and it's a car (all going well) I'll own for 2-3 years. The condition it's in resembles that of a 4 month old car, and I intend on keeping it that way. In 2-3 years time the Mk5 GTI will still be going for good money, and I believe that a FVWSH would stand it in good stead tbh.

That's the thing. I'm not 100% sure if he is. I must give him a bell but my gut says that he isn't!

Anywho....I've just rung around to get quotes. By the looks of it, a major is due (67,700 kms on her), and spark plugs, air/pollen filters look likely.

- €280
    - €310 (exclusive of spark plugs)
    - €249 (inclusive of sparks, air/pollen filter)
    - €299 (inclusive of sparks, air/pollen filter)
    - €250 (sparks, filters)

I didn't include the garage names beside the corresponding quotes as I'm not sure if mods would appreciate that info being posted. If there is no problems with it I can add them as I'm sure a few would be interested.
    [/LIST]
    At least post up whether they're city or country garages, see if there's a trend.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    At least post up whether they're city or country garages, see if there's a trend.

- €280 CITY
    - €310 CITY(exclusive of spark plugs)
    - €249 COUNTY(inclusive of sparks, air/pollen filter)
    - €299 COUNTY(inclusive of sparks, air/pollen filter)
    - €250 COUNTY(sparks, filters)

No prizes for guessing! :)

Right so I've narrowed it down to one of two garages. Either Elm Motors in Limerick or Blackwater in Fermoy.

I just clicked on to the Elm Motors website to get their number when I noticed a link to their service section, so I said I'd take a quick look.

When I selected VW as the brand I want serviced, it then asked what model. The only thing is, there are only 5 models on display. Namely: Golf 1.4, Passat 1.6, Passat 1.9D, Polo 1.2, Touarag.

I find it a bit strange that these would be the only models they service. Maybe it is a design flaw on the website, as the guy I spoke to yesterday said nothing about not servicing a GTI. Obviously he isn't going to turn away work, but if they are only advertising to service 1.4's, I'd be a little worried.

Does anyone have experience with their servicing department?

Blackwater are tempting at the moment, as they came in the cheapest, and are also available for Saturday appointments. It's just that Elm would be very handy as it's 2 minutes away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I wouldn't knock trying a Skoda dealer either. Usually lower rates. I had my last service done at one and I was very impressed by the level of service(plus they were over 100 cheaper than Seat). Same mechanicals so no worries about OEM parts either:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Stay away from Newcastle West - bunch of cowboys.

EPM wrote: »
    I wouldn't knock trying a Skoda dealer either. Usually lower rates. I had my last service done at one and I was very impressed by the level of service(plus they were over 100 cheaper than Seat). Same mechanicals so no worries about OEM parts either:D

I'm aware that both are VAG, but is there the chance that the GTI has some parts not identical to what would be in the general Skoda range?

I'm speaking in terms of spark plugs, filters, bushings etc. Or are they all generally the same across the VAG range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'm aware that both are VAG, but is there the chance that the GTI has some parts not identical to what would be in the general Skoda range?

I'm speaking in terms of spark plugs, filters, bushings etc. Or are they all generally the same across the VAG range?

Same engine as an Octavia VRS petrol so it wouldn't make sense for much to be different. I'd be very suprised if there was on consumables. For a service and at that low mileage I wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary needs replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Fizman check out vagdrivers.net the lads there might be able to point you to the better dealership. As with any thing standards can vary from delership to dealership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement