Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelly gyms in examinership

Options
  • 05-02-2010 7:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Money not coming in any more and by god they needed cashflow. Maybe they have finally been tackled over their myriad abuses of the DD system by IPSO but I doubt it somehow. It is rather odd when a company that was profitable in November ( evidently DD worked then) is up the swanee in February. They even had their own FAN website here keeping a close eye on their perma shenanigans. How funny is that, for a mere gym :p

If anybody brought the ENTIRE Direct Debit system in Ireland into complete disrepute it was Jackie Skelly.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0205/1224263813765.html
    The court heard the company had made a small profit up to November last year but there had been a fall-off in membership of 15 per cent since then and no significant new memberships in January, the usual busy period for membership.

An independent accountant has projected another 15 per cent fall-off in membership in the coming year.

The company had a turnover of €19.8 million in 2008 but this had dropped to €14.4 million last year, the court heard.

It has a debt of €12 million, mainly to Ulster Bank and its problems were also due to the fact that it was renting premises mainly subject to upward-only rent reviews.

If the gym is the only business in a new complex or building you may take it that it will close. They were used as rent 'markers' for other prospective tenants but they 'allegedly' had break clauses hidden somewhere.

An auctioneer told me how this <snip> worked once.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Money not coming in any more and by god they needed cashflow. Maybe they have finally been tackled over their myriad abuses of the DD system by IPSO but I doubt it somehow. It is rather odd when a company that was profitable in November ( evidently DD worked then) is up the swanee in February. They even had their own FAN website here keeping a close eye on their perma shenanigans. How funny is that, for a mere gym :p

If anybody brought the ENTIRE Direct Debit system in Ireland into complete disrepute it was Jackie Skelly.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0205/1224263813765.html

If the gym is the only business in a new complex or building you may take it that it will close. They were used as rent 'markers' for other prospective tenants but they 'allegedly' had break clauses hidden somewhere.

An auctioneer told me how this <snip> worked once.

Delighted shower of [EMAIL="W@*%&#163;&S"]W@*%£&S[/EMAIL]. I left them about 3 years ago on very bad terms. I was moving to a different part of the country and I had been with them 2 years. They tried on some crap about paying two months membership as a penalty for leaving. Unbelieveable. They put me through hell and never paid it in the end. I was wondering why I got a call last tuesday evening asking me if I was interested in joining. Good riddance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bugnug wrote: »
    Good riddance.

Make sure you always complain about any bad things that the Direct Debit system allowed Skelly to do.

They would have gone to the wall years ago if it were not for their ability to use the DD system like an ATM containing money.

The people to complain to are IPSO who let these scammers away with it for years and pretended they did not know about it. People in Ireland should be allowed to cancel a direct debit out of their account containing their money and not have Jackie Skelly dipping in there EVER again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

OK, whilst people may have had problems with them it is sad to see yet ANOTHER Irish business about to go under and yet MORE jobs on the line. I feel sorry for all the workers who may find themselves on the dole within the next few months. More unemployment = worse government finances = more taxation for the rest of us who do have jobs.

I've been a member of the one in Nutgrove for almost two years now. It's OK. Service definitely not great, but it's OK nonetheless, and I've seen just as bad service in other gyms as well. My dad's a member of Total Fitness in Sandyford, for example, and he's always complaining about how bad the service is up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sponge Bob

Please do not refer to the company in such a manner.

Now, I don't see how this is a Consumer Issue. Thread closed as there is already a thread in Fitness.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement