Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Economics

Options
  • 05-02-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey I am currently considering applying for an MA in Maynooth and Trinity, I was wondering if any one could advise me on what each college requires for application, any tips on personal statements and when interviews are??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

For Trinity at least, the most important criterion for admission is your degree grade. Get a good II.1 and don't write anything stupid into your personal statement and you'll get in. I don't think there's an interview.

How come you're restricting your choice to NUIM and TCD, by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

Thanks, the reason why I am applying for only the two is because it is all I can afford at the moment, the goverment grant only covers 6,250 of fees which covers maynooth, trinity is 9000 but my maintance grant that I will receive with the fees should cover it, as far as I know UCDs is somewhere between 12 and 14000 for an MA, DCU dont dont one in economics although I am aware they do finance MAs. I cant do anywhere outside of dublin because I dont have the money to move out for the year. Any idea on how long a P.S should be, a friend of mine recomended at least 2000 words describing in detail what you plan to do with the course, is he on the ball or is he way off? Oh and thanks for the advice you gave on how to improve my writing, that link you sent me really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The UCD MA costs €5400.

You'll be glad to know that faculty will not really care about your personal statement for a taught masters course. Write a page or two indicating that you're aware that a taught masters going to be reasonably mathematically demanding, why you'll be well able to cope with that maths, and that you're interested in researching economics. Maybe throw out a couple of specific areas (e.g. industrial organisation, development economics) that you're interested in, but nothing major. It's probably the least important part of the application tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Thanks, the reason why I am applying for only the two is because it is all I can afford at the moment, the goverment grant only covers 6,250 of fees which covers maynooth, trinity is 9000 but my maintance grant that I will receive with the fees should cover it, as far as I know UCDs is somewhere between 12 and 14000 for an MA, DCU dont dont one in economics although I am aware they do finance MAs. I cant do anywhere outside of dublin because I dont have the money to move out for the year. Any idea on how long a P.S should be, a friend of mine recomended at least 2000 words describing in detail what you plan to do with the course, is he on the ball or is he way off? Oh and thanks for the advice you gave on how to improve my writing, that link you sent me really helped.
    of course, the other approach is to say "whats the best masters in economics" and then see how to afford it. Seperate the investment and financing decision. ....:)

BTW - why economics, may i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

Fair point so the question is "whats the best masters in economics"

I picked economics because its what I am most interested in, I never studied Quants or Derivatives so I would'nt feel too confident in applying for a masters in Finance or anything on them lines, I know economics involves a lot of maths but at least it will be maths that I am familiar with.

I hope to do something like this after I get a masters.

http://www.odi.org.uk/fellows/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Are you still in college? If you're thinking of going in to development economics, it might be worth thinking about taking a year or two years off and going to do internships/volunteer in developing countries, then do an MA and then apply for the fellowships. In general it helps your case a lot more if you have some kind of experience and a masters for positions in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Hi guys,

Just jumping in on this thread after it's been dormant for a while...
    blucey wrote: »
    of course, the other approach is to say "whats the best masters in economics" and then see how to afford it.

If you had to pick one Masters in Economics between UCD and TCD, which would it be and why... assuming it is two tiered, of course.

Also, I didn't do a BA in Econ (the benefit of hindsight etc) but I've done a decent amount of economic and finance based modules... How much do you think this effects my chances? Mathematically, I'm quite competent.

Would a good GRE score have a positive impact on my application?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

From what I know/heard, if you are mathematically competent and can demonstrate that on your C.V., you will get in fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

joxer1988 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just jumping in on this thread after it's been dormant for a while...

If you had to pick one Masters in Economics between UCD and TCD, which would it be and why... assuming it is two tiered, of course.

Also, I didn't do a BA in Econ (the benefit of hindsight etc) but I've done a decent amount of economic and finance based modules... How much do you think this effects my chances? Mathematically, I'm quite competent.

Would a good GRE score have a positive impact on my application?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Cant talk for the econ depts but I suspect that without a major in Economics you might find it hard to get in. Best bet is to talk to the directors of the courses ; Both Karl Whelan and Carole Newman are im sure happy to guide .
    Note : you would almost certain get into the MSc Finance in TCD with that set of indicated courses.

Advertisement