Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N97 Insurance Claim

Options
  • 05-02-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Can anyone offer a bit of advice.

I bought myself an N97 on o2 from Carphone Warehouse last Oct. I got it insured and everything was grand.

Anyway about a week or two ago the phone went swimming in a mop bucket and I dropped it back to Carphone Warehouse. A few days later I got a call saying the phone was back from the insurer and I could call in to finish the insurance claim.

So when I got into see them I was told that CPW had stopped carrying the N97 but I could get an N97 Mini no problem because it’s “exactly” the same only smaller.

Exactly the same, except with less memory, smaller screen and less powerful battery? I turned down the Mini and was told my only other option was a Sony Ericsson W995. I’m a bit of a Nokia fan so I wasn’t happy. So the girl told me to ring CPW directly. The lady there told me there was one N97 left in their warehouse so I asked her to order that and I’d be happy out.

A couple of days later I dropped into my local CPW to see what the progress was. The guy told me that the N97 couldn’t be found in the warehouse and that it was either lost of robbed, leaving me out of luck.

I asked him to get in touch with CPW or the insurer and see if I could sit on the claim until the Nokia N900 or similar was released and I would pay the difference.

So today I got a call from my local CPW and I went in for a chat. Apparently, now they have no N97 Minis in stock as they are having a lot of issues with the phone’s software and are waiting for new stock with new software to come in. The insurer/CPW told the guy that they have no idea when the N900 will be stocked and even then they don’t allow customers to “Top Up” insurance claims because the N900 will be more expensive that the N97.

So I can have the Sony Ericsson W995 or if I wanted a Nokia, I can pick any Nokia with the same or less value of an N97.

Am I being unreasonable with all of this or should I just shut my mouth and take a Mini when they get them back in stock and be happy about it?

Thanks for ye're help!

P.S, I have to add that anyone I was talking to about this was really friendly and happy to help. I don’t want it to seem like I’m trying to slag off CPW or the staff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Wait until they get the nokia n900 should be around the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Oh yeah, they also said the insurance claim was only valid for 60 days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would do same. The N900 actually went on sale for less then the N97 iirc

Oh yeah it'd be great if I could get an N900 alright but unless o2 pick it up and CPW stock it in the very near future I'm kinda snookered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

did you ask about a sony ericsson satio or nokia 5800?

• Advertisement

The 5800 would hardly be a fair swap for an N97 and i'm not exactly the biggest fan of SE. That said, the Satio does look like a nice phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Screw CPW they have to replace the phone with like or near like and it is htoer choice not to carry the N97, the mini is not a replacement for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I dunno at this stage. The more I think about it the more annoyed I get. I think i'm just gonna give CPW a buzz on Monday and have it out with them. At least try and get them to hold the claim until the N900 is released and see where I stand then. Fun times.
    Cheers Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

n900 is coming out soon, no exact date, but prob start of march, all going well... its price will be in or around the same as n97 (could be a little more though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Okay, sorry if this comes across as a bit in your face, but bear with me.

You paid for insurance.

And they want to give you a phone you don't like.

Well, as you paid with money for insurance,
    tell them you'll be happy to accept the monetary value of the policy.

They will say no, you will say "small claims court", they'll say "where do we post the cheque to?"

Don't mind these insurance monkies, you paid, so you call the shots.
    Don't roll over and take an $hite from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yeah keep at them. I wouldnt take the mini in a million years. But whats funny I think I may have got the last one in the warehouse :) I claimed off my insurance last week and they got me the full version but it took a few days to arrive. I ve dealt with this shower before and ended up ringing them 3-5 times a day until they sorted out the problem. On ly reason I went with them again is cos I bought the phone sim free.

Well still no sign of an N97 from these Flutes. Last time I rang they offered me a 16Gb iPhone 3GS. They also haven't a clue when or if they're going to stock the N900. What a load of crap. Half tempted to take the iPhone to end this, even though it’d turn me into the world’s biggest hypocrite as I’m very unimpressed with the whole Apple hype machine bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

According to their website, they are regulated by the Financial Regulator. You could lodge a complaint with the regulator. You would probably get better advice though on the Consumer Issues Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BrokenSamsung

I have just joined this forum today to vent some anger at this company. I bought a Samsung slider phone at xmas as a present for my daughter. She loved the phone for about 4 weeks until the LCD screen failed. I brought it back to Car Phone Warehouse who took the phone in and sent it away to an indepentant repairer. The repaired says the phone has physical damage, I know it hasn't been abused but this is impossible to prove. The Car phone Warehouse now want €90 to fix a €129 phone which worked for 4 weeks. The manager of the store ( who has been on holiday for the last 2 weeks ) suggested I ring the customer help line who in turn is less than useless. They say ring back the next day and ask for ( name ) when you ring back they refuse to put you through to a specific person and want to take all your details from the begining again. This has been going on for 5 weeks now with no contact coming from the Car Phone Warehouse. This company does not deserve anyones business,

Has anyone else had a similar experience :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

what about taking the mini and insisiting they throw in a 16gb memory card? That would bbe the mini closer to the n97 spec

Advertisement