Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy February Beers

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gandalf is a differnt poster all together.

As for too many men turning up why not set the date and have people pm the mods for the time and place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Nay!
    Or just ban men from going.

The men here are nice enough to respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This was covered in the Feedback thread before it was locked. The next few TLL Beers are gonna be women only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

May!
    Boo, I missed out because the car had its NCT, and it failed on a total triviality. Yet another weekend gone on stupid car tomfoolery. I might not be sorry to have missed 21s, but I'd really, really like to be able to make the next beers-es.

Nay!
    Grand.

Back ot, I had a great time at it.

Paid for it the next day though.

21s (Where a few of us went after) is full of kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

There's enough trolls about the place who'd find it only hilarious to crash an all-female forum beers. Not regulars, of course - I've no doubt they'd all respect the rules. Thaed's suggestion is a good one.

I've been kinda shying away from the beers recently because I feel they got a bit samey as regards attendance and atmosphere. Looking forward to an all-ladies one, hopefully it'll bring in a few new faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Nay!
    We are not going to arrange beers in secret.

This thread is for the discussion of the beers on saturday.

Nay!
    Jules wrote: »
    We are not going to arrange beers in secret.

This thread is for the discussion of the beers on saturday.

Why didn't you come t'21s?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

May!
    The beers on Saturday gone was not stated to be a Ladies only beers, therefore it's not surprising that men showed up to be honest, nowhere was it stated that they were to be excluded.

If there is a ladies only beers arranged, we will state it on the forum it's ladies only, there will presumably be an area reserved, and presumably the pub security will ask anyone not welcome to leave.

But we will hold off discussion on that until one is actually being arranged.

• Advertisement

Nay!
    Fago_25 wrote: »
    Grand.

Back ot, I had a great time at it.

Paid for it the next day though.

Your 19... you are a kid!

Nay!
    Your 19... you are a kid!

I'm a pup, not a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Nay!
    Fago_25 wrote: »

Yeah alot of them were even older than you :p

Nay!
    Yeah alot of them were even older than you :p

Yeah but most of them were younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just as well I didn't go. I'd have been arrested for even setting foot in the place.

Nay!
    Well you do look like a hitman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Gandalf is a differnt poster all together.

yeah i know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

To be honest it is only right that the male regulars whom are here respect the wishes of female regulars if they prefer to have a female only beers.
    Banning someone for turning up to a public event wont solve anything, infact it will cause a headache for all involved.
    I wouldnt see the need for it to be private. However some may. All in all everyone here is a community and should respect each others wishes.
    Enjoy the next beers ladies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Silverfish wrote: »
    The beers on Saturday gone was not stated to be a Ladies only beers, therefore it's not surprising that men showed up to be honest, nowhere was it stated that they were to be excluded.

If there is a ladies only beers arranged, we will state it on the forum it's ladies only, there will presumably be an area reserved, and presumably the pub security will ask anyone not welcome to leave.

But we will hold off discussion on that until one is actually being arranged.
    The security won't ask them to leave unless they are harassing you, you can't throw somebody out just for being there especially this day in age when security are brought to court over equality and all that jazz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You can if its a reserved area. Plus what sort of eejit would show up to something they werent invited to? The embarrassment alone should be enough of a deterent. In any case that would be worst case scenario and knowing many of the women here security would not be required. Not arse licking either, just fact.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wibbs wrote: »
    You can if its a reserved area. Plus what sort of eejit would show up to something they werent invited to? The embarrassment alone should be enough of a deterent. In any case that would be worst case scenario and knowing many of the women here security would not be required. Not arse licking either, just fact.

Aye. Common courtesy and all that.

By the way Wibbs, nice meeting you albeit briefly on Saturday night.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I mean while yer out not boardsies, chances are guys will try chat a few of ye up.

May!
    I mean while yer out not boardsies, chances are guys will try chat a few of ye up.

A lot easier to say 'No, go away please' to some complete stranger than it is to some boards.ie member who invites themselves along, no?

And the point isn't getting chatted up, the point is a ladies night out. Don't see why there'd be an issue with that.

Nay!
    A lot easier to say 'No, go away please' to some complete stranger than it is to some boards.ie member who invites themselves along, no?

Not if it is clearly a ladies only event.
    Any bloke who shows up, is going down as a wierdo stalker in my book.
    For that reason, I doubt that anyone would gatecrash tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I know that every once in a while there might be guys who come on here to post troll-ish things or inappropriate comments. There's a huge difference between doing that from behind the safety and relative anonymity of a computer and actually showing up uninvited to a social event in a public place. Who in his right mind would want to walk into a room full of unwelcoming and angry faces?

May!
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Not if it is clearly a ladies only event.
    Any bloke who shows up, is going down as a wierdo stalker in my book.
    For that reason, I doubt that anyone would gatecrash tbh.

I believe that's the point he is trying to make, that it won't be a ladies only pub so there will be guys in it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

May!
    Sparky wrote: »
    To be honest it is only right that the male regulars whom are here respect the wishes of female regulars if they prefer to have a female only beers.

Agreed.

However, IMO, the idea of having a females only beers could be quite insulting to some male posters who contribute a lot to the ladies' lounge and the threads here.
    Why should they be excluded, just because they're men?

And just to note, I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I'm just asking people to really consider the implications of a potential females only event.

May!
    However, IMO, the idea of having a females only beers could be quite insulting to some male posters who contribute a lot to the ladies' lounge and the threads here.
    Why should they be excluded, just because they're men?

I have to agree with you here.

There are alot of regular posters in this forum that are male. Hell one of the mods is a boy! I do think it's a bit insulting to them. I also think that it is a little insulting to the girls too. Can we really not all mix happily? I'm serious by the way, and as with Pikachucheeks I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight. We seemed to have turned so anti men all of a sudden and it doesn't sit quite right with me.

I'm also really annoyed and insulted by the comment that beers are only for men and "chatty cliquey girls". I find that quite frankly - offensive. As I mentioned in another thread, I have only been to two beers but I have felt extremely welcome on both occasions however that comment has completely changed my opinion as I now feel by attending beers I'm seen to be in some kind of "clique".

I really felt that tLL was a friendly open place where all were welcome but I can't help but wonder if I was mistaken.

Anyway, that's my 2cents. I'm not going to get into an argument on the matter I just felt I should speak my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nay!
    To be honest, I did feel a little strange being at a Ladies Lounge beers with more men than women. Felt like I was being some how pervy or sleezy by attending ! I have to agree with a few posters when it comes to not excluding men though, there are a few males posters here that do contribute to the forums as a whole, it'd be unfair to bar them from attending.

I don't find the beers to be cliquey at all, sure there's posters that know each other from pervious beers and even in real life for years but that doesn't mean it's an exclusive group.

May!
    I think if the ladies want a ladies beers just for ladies, there shouldn't be anything to prevent them having a girly night out.

Likewise if a regular all-in beers is arranged, there shouldn't be anything to prevent that either.

I don't think anyone meant all men are banned from attending every future beers ever, just to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nay!
    I think if the ladies want a ladies beers just for ladies, there shouldn't be anything to prevent them having a girly night out.

Likewise if a regular all-in beers is arranged, there shouldn't be anything to prevent that either.

I don't think anyone meant all men are banned from attending every future beers ever, just to clarify.

I know yeah, I feel most if not all of the male posters wouldn't complain if it was a proper ladies night out and stated in the thread.

• Advertisement

We seemed to have turned so anti men all of a sudden and it doesn't sit quite right with me.
    Having an occasional "girly night" as Silverfish called it above is hardly anti-male IMO.

May!
    Stella777 wrote: »
    Having an occasional "girly night" as Silverfish called it above is hardly anti-male IMO.

I totally agree with that, I'm in no way saying that I think the odd girly night wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not talking about the odd girly night at all! It was said previously though that the next "few beers" would be girls only. And that's more what I'm getting at. A girly night is absolutely fine, and someone mentioned a non pub centred girly night which I think is a great idea. I'm just not in agreement with the "no men at our beers" way of thinking.

As I just said above there silverfish, I do agree with that, but it was mentioned on the other thread that the next few beers would be ladies only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Nay!
    I never got the impression that men OR women should be judged for suggesting such a thing as a ladies only beers. Most of the men in here, as said previously, do add alot to this corner of boards and i feel that much of it is appreciated. This whole thing about a future beers being ladies only is totally fine with possibly all men who come here, and a non beers event would be just as good, if not better than going out purely for a few drinks and a chat. And strangely on my phone, each time i type ladies in predictive text, it spells jaeger:P

Nay!
    Im gonna come straight out and say it trying to keep the posters of this forum happy is one of the most difficultthings i have come across.

Too many boys post, don't exclude the boys, all the women are feminazi, yer all a bunch of fluffy girlie pink fluffy heads, too many boys show up, too many girls show up(that part is a joke), there is too much chatting, there is too little chatting, all the threads are too serious or they are all to silly! Ye make my head spin sometimes!

There is a huge difference to guys who post in this forum and guys who make an actualy contribution, those guys are much fewer in number. And yes the forum has a male mod for two simple reason, and i hope Wibblie wont get offended by this, it started ass a piss take with Zaph, and he did a great job. Stayed out of the serious threads and kept the boys at bay. When he left we decided to give it a go and we picked Wibbs and what makes him great is he gives better adivce on things than, well i do anyway. He is our honorary ovary.

We are not excluding the lads, we are simply giving some posters what they want as expressed to us by them very recently. Personally i love having the lads at beers cuz women intimidate the living crap outta me at time. I have always gotten on better with guys as i think there is less bullsh1t. And to be honest i have met 4 guys, who i would have a huge amount of time and respect for, at the beers and one in particular who i would consider to be a very good friend... not in a biblical sensenow, but that's an aside... over there!

There will be mixed beers again but the next offical forum beers will be ladies only. And just to say again we will not be arranging it in secret. And i full believe the lads who post on this forum have enough respect to not show up, and if they don't have that level of respect they will be asked to leave the premises, named and shamed within the forum and permabanned.

Im gonna come straight out and say it trying to keep the posters of this forum happy is one of the most difficultthings i have come across.

Too many boys post, don't exclude the boys, all the women are feminazi, yer all a bunch of fluffy girlie pink fluffy heads, too many boys show up, too many girls show up(that part is a joke), there is too much chatting, there is too little chatting, all the threads are too serious or they are all to silly! Ye make my head spin sometimes!

There is a huge difference to guys who post in this forum and guys who make an actualy contribution, those guys are much fewer in number. And yes the forum has a male mod for two simple reason, and i hope Wibblie wont get offended by this, it started ass a piss take with Zaph, and he did a great job. Stayed out of the serious threads and kept the boys at bay. When he left we decided to give it a go and we picked Wibbs and what makes him great is he gives better adivce on things than, well i do anyway. He is our honorary ovary.

We are not excluding the lads, we are simply giving some posters what they want as expressed to us by them very recently. Personally i love having the lads at beers cuz women intimidate the living crap outta me at time. I have always gotten on better with guys as i think there is less bullsh1t. And to be honest i have met 4 guys, who i would have a huge amount of time and respect for, at the beers and one in particular who i would consider to be a very good friend... not in a biblical sensenow, but that's an aside... over there!

There will be mixed beers again but the next offical forum beers will be ladies only. And just to say again we will not be arranging it in secret. And i full believe the lads who post on this forum have enough respect to not show up, and if they don't have that level of respect they will be asked to leave the premises, named and shamed within the forum and permabanned.

I sinscerely hope for any male posters that ye don't pick their regular haunt to go drinking in!!

On the upside beers are never made outside of dub so I'm good ha

Nay!
    raze them all... why, why do that. What is the point in nit picking and making a comment like that? It will be dinner first and then probably cocktails and dancing. If we do happen to pick any of the lads locals well ill draw a chalk line around our reserved area and they wont be able to pass it... will that do?

Nay!
    I personally like Jules get on better with lads, thats not saying I dont get on with girls.

But I do know where everyone is coming from too with the whole girls only beers! It would be great to get the girls together rather than the usual mix. Some girls would be intimidated walking into a pub and seeing loads of people, mostly men!

Saturday was my first beers and there was double the amount of girls there than men which didnt bother me in the slightest. But thats just me, some people might not like that.

If we have a girls only night I think we could get alot more girls coming that we would if it was a normal every sex beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Oh Jules, I love you. :pac:

Nay!
    It will be dinner first and then probably cocktails and dancing.

COPPERS :D

• Advertisement

Im not nit picking I'm pointing out that there could be a misunderstanding is all. Lets say for example that a person who posts here regularly(lets say fago) drinks wherever ye decide to go out. One of the female boardsies could think he just showed up cos there was the girls only beers, it's hardly fair that he'd be asked to leave and named and shamed for going to somewhere he regularly drinks

Nay!
    Do you not think the person organising the beers.. probably me.. would have the common sense to, em ask them!

Gah i hate when i go off topic, which i am!

Back on topic!

May!
    Im not nit picking I'm pointing out that there could be a misunderstanding is all. Lets say for example that a person who posts here regularly(lets say fago) drinks wherever ye decide to go out. One of the female boardsies could think he just showed up cos there was the girls only beers, it's hardly fair that he'd be asked to leave and named and shamed for going to somewhere he regularly drinks

Well if he shows up in the restaurant, in the pub and in the nightclub then it would be unlikely it's 'by chance'.

It hasn't happened yet, lets not assume it will, okay?

May!
    n8zPyro wrote: »

I don't find the beers to be cliquey at all, sure there's posters that know each other from pervious beers and even in real life for years but that doesn't mean it's an exclusive group.

emmm freudian slip? :eek:

I'm not sure if there have ever been "ladies only" beers before so the answer to this question may already have been answered. But do people really think men would show up to a night that was girls only? It's a serious question by the way!

Nay!
    But do people really think men would show up to a night that was girls only? It's a serious question by the way!

I really hope they wouldnt :eek:

Nay!
    There was a ladies only beers, i believe the very first one was. And no lads showed up. And also as i said in the feedback thread, there was a time when the girls would get together off their own backs, lunch, dinner, cinema, coffee whatever.. actually that in mind, keep your eyes peeled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Nay!
    And adding to those posts Jules and Silverfish, i'm quite sure there are ALOT of places in Dublin that any boardsie will not have been to, so less likely to run into one anyway...if it happens then (if its a male respecting forum rules) exchange pleasantries and be on your merry way to respective parties:)

emmm freudian slip? :eek:

I'm not sure if there have ever been "ladies only" beers before so the answer to this question may already have been answered. But do people really think men would show up to a night that was girls only? It's a serious question by the way!
    I would bet the farm that no man would show. I don't even think they would want to TBH.

May!
    I really hope they wouldnt :eek:

Everyone hopes they wouldn't but seriously, do people think they would?

I just don't see how it would make any sense for any of the lads to show up to something they've been asked not to. I suppose what I'm getting at is do we really need all the discussion. I mean, if a new thread was started with "ladies only night out" wouldn't that suffice? I think the tooing and frowing is taking the good out of it (maybe that's just me). And yes, maybe I'm naive in thinking that it's as simple as saying, please boys leave us girls to have our fun, but can't it be that easy?

May!
    Stella777 wrote: »
    I would bet the farm that no man would show. I don't even think they would want to TBH.

That's what I thought. There has just been so much discussion over bouncers and security etc that it sounded like it was going to be hassle. The men would have no interest in showing up to a girly night. So it's not really worth discussing. Is it?

I was annoyed earlier more over the cliquey comment and also the suggestion that men come to the beers to perve (I think pyro hung you all on that one lads ;)). Maybe because I personally haven't been sleezed over I found this to be unfair.

Anyway. I'm bowing out of this chat!

Jules et al, hope you don't think I'm out of place in suggesting shutting up this thread and starting a nice new happy Girls Night Out one in it's place :)

Nay!
    well ahead of you miss!

Thanks for all the input again lads and ladies!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement