Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of my rodents and babys.

Options
  • 05-02-2010 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

First my first ever litter of stepped lemmings.
    2009_04200007.jpg
    2009_04200002.jpg
    2009_04200005.jpg
    2009_04200006.jpg
    My zebra mice/striped grass mouse,you can seen the pied father.
    2009_05050012.jpg
    And one of my groups of gerbils have started.:D
    2009_05050014.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Absolutely beautiful, especially the lemmings.
    Well done OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

oh my god oh my god oh my god,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they're georguose:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sci you breed these for pets or as foodstuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sci you breed these for pets or as foodstuff?

I do breed mice and rats for snake food mate, humanely euthanized of course but these are too good to end up in a snakes belly. These are bred for pets,the odd gerbil would go to a snake but rats and mice are more reliable feeders rodents so I would tend to stick to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

SCI wrote: »
    I do breed mice and rats for snake food mate, humanely euthanized of course but these are too good to end up in a snakes belly. These are bred for pets,the odd gerbil would go to a snake but rats and mice are more reliable feeders rodents so I would tend to stick to them.

la la la la la,,i've pet rats i dont want to hear this,,,,ahahhhhh:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McKuntmissioner

2009_04200007.jpg
    Adorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Very cute! Well done on the zebra mice - still cant get mine to breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Awe they are so cute! The babies have lovely stripes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The Lemmings are gorgeous, are they good to keep?
    I've keep rats and mice and gerbils before, but never seen the Lemmings.
    How big do they get? Any adult pics?
    Unfortunately, rodents aren't an option at the mo, two cats that will hunt anything that moves(even the dogs sometimes:D) and the dogs will go after rats if they get the chance.

joyce2009 wrote: »
    la la la la la,,i've pet rats i dont want to hear this,,,,ahahhhhh:(

Snakes have to eat too, I would never feed live. It's just the same as the lambs that are out in the fields at the moment, they will end up on someone's plate before long,it's natures way. As long as they are treated with care and humanely euthanized,it's all good.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    The Lemmings are gorgeous, are they good to keep?
    I've keep rats and mice and gerbils before, but never seen the Lemmings.
    How big do they get? Any adult pics?
    Unfortunately, rodents aren't an option at the mo, two cats that will hunt anything that moves(even the dogs sometimes:D) and the dogs will go after rats if they get the chance.

Here's some good info on lemmings with loads of pic's.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jean.wright93/sl/sl.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've never seem the lemmings in a shop in Ireland.

Where did you get them? Might be interested (if I'm allowed!)

godtabh wrote: »
    I've never seem the lemmings in a shop in Ireland.

Where did you get them? Might be interested (if I'm allowed!)

They were got from a friend of a friend,who I believe imported them from England,they are pretty new to the pet trade. I've just got another litter too from the same pair. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very cute, perhaps doing up a care sheet and posting it just in case might be an idea.

So many small rodents are over bred and in bred and mistreated in Ireland hoepfully Lemmings won't be the next craze and end up everywhere stuck in tiny cages by people who don't know how to care for them properly.

What is the housing for lemmings anyway and diet etc. Would be interesting if you did up a care sheet with diet, housing, vet care etc.

I posted a very good care sheet above and this is the guidelines I followed,in my book,if it's not broke,don't fix it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what kind of cages do you keep them in?

godtabh wrote: »
    what kind of cages do you keep them in?

A 2ft glass fish tank with a wire screen top and a chew proof water bottle guard to hang into the tank.

sounds really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Eeek so cute!
    Do you know if there is much of a market for them? Do your gerbils sell well? Do you sell them privately or to petshops? If you sell privately how do you advertise? Sorry for being nosey, it is just that I keep rabbits (not rodents, but people put them under rodents) and have had two litters (don't worry people, I have researched it all) and there seems to be no market for them at all. I prefer to sell privately, but ended up having to sell both litters to a pet shops, which I hate, and even then it was tough to get a pet shop to take them. I was going to import quality rabbits for breeding from England, but not much point since there is no market.

Advertisement