Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny to M ret-sur-Loing and Paris.

• 05-02-2010 8:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I know I discussed something similar in the past and I've just gone ahead and booked it anyway for myself (moment of madness). I'll be cycling from Kilkenny to Môret-sur-Loing (Kilkennys twin town) and on up to Paris afterwards (not too far away). The route is the following:
    Stage 1. Kilkenny to Rosslare
    Stage 2. Fishguard to Cardiff
    Stage 3. Cardiff to Bristol
    Stage 4. Bristol to Portsmouth followed by a rest day
    Stage 5. Cherbourg to Caen
    Stage 6. Caen to Alencon
    Stage 7. Alencon to Orléans
    Stage 8. Orléans to Môret-sur-Loing via Montargis (to watch the stage 5 sprint finish of the Tour de France).
    I'll be heading down to Montargis the following day and back to Môret that evening and then it's up to Paris for a few well earned beers. I leave Kilkenny on the 30th June and getting a flight from Paris on the 11th.

If anyone wants to join me, PM me and I can give you a list of cheap ass budget hotels, they're all F1 and Etap and the average rate is about €35 per room (for twin) and which boats and flight I'm taking. I still need to book hotels in Rosslare, Cardiff, Bristol and Paris (I'm hoping to find a mates couch in Paris). If anyone does come, I'm not expecting anyone to raise money for charity or anything like that, and you'll be totally responsible for yourself.

I'm doing this for a local charity the Susie Long Hospice Fund and I've set up a site via mycharity.ie where you can support my cause. All online donations go directly to the hospice and means less hastle for me. This cycle is not organised through anyone, I just thought that it would be nice to use my summer holiday as an excuse to raise money for charity.

Thank you very much.
    Captain Havoc.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I thought I'd give this one a bit of a bump for you Captain Havoc, and at the same time, I want to add a bit of flavour, and hopefully encourage a few more boardsies to pledge support to your worthwhile cause.

I look to give the money I save by commuting to work on a bike, as opposed to driving (fuel, depreciation etc) to charity, and the current "arrangements" I have with another charity expires on 31 March (co-incidentally, the day I am due to get the cast off my arm)

Anyway, it seems to make sense to me to do something with a cycling angle, and so I am proposing to donate the money I save between 1 April and 30 June (the day your epic adventure commences) to the Susie Long Hospice Fund, helping you towards your target

I'm not promising to cycle in every day - I need to take it a bit easy when I first get back on the road, and also have my new racing career to think about(:D), but I should still manage 2-3 days most weeks (assuming no further calamities!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Thanks Beasty that means a lot, I haven't forgotten about the maillot jaune either ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hi all,
    I know reviving zombie threads is unpopular. Any road, you've all seen the photos, the route and the training diary (which hasn't been updated in a while) but I'm only four days away from leaving. I just got off the blower there from the PRO of the hospice and it looks like they're trying to organise a bit of fanfair for me. Launching me will be the mayor of Kilkenny, welcoming me on the other side will be the mayor of Moret sur-Loing. The motorway photos are going to be in this weeks Kilkenny People and the launch photos will be in Fridays Advertiser and the following weeks Kilkenny People (according to plan). I've already appeared in this weeks Kilkenny Reporter (yes I am a media whore). On top of this they want to do a live feed with me on the local radio station, KCLR in the afternoon.
    All this has got me thinking: PLEASE DON'T FÜCK THIS UP CAPTAIN HAVOC, AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! The PRO asked me if I was nervious and how well was I prepared? I said, no, not nervous, it's grand, I'm well prepared, just relaxing and taking it easy now, I feel great (I'm actually in bed with food poisoning) :D
    I'm going to be travelling ultra light, I've the cue sheets printed, accomodation printed, I only need to book a room for the last night. I've my camera and helmet cam to post up here. Spare, tubes, an old tyre, foam, pump, multi-tool, levers, lock, runners, trousers, socks (white of course), clean jocks, spare kit and that's about it.
    I am doing this for a good cause (Susie Long Hospice Fund) and I'm making a final plea for a few yoyos which can be donated online or you can just support by joining the facebook page. Of the €1,000 already collected, the boards crew has been the biggest contributors, which I thank sincerely.
    Thanks all and if I get into trouble, I'm really happy that boards is a great resource for me.
    TTFN
    Captain Havoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

"declan moffit, glenamaddy, the besht of luck"

I was just wondering, if the mayor of Moret is talking to me before I arrive and asks if there's anything I need on arrival, should I ask for "un podium avec deux filles"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was just wondering, if the mayor of Moret is talking to me before I arrive and asks if there's anything I need on arrival, should I ask for "un podium avec deux filles"? :D

I am sure the mayor has absolutely no idea what he is letting himself in for.

None of the local filles will be safe when Havoc breaks loose in his quiet French town :D. One day a book will be written about the Captain's exploits on this epic adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

What time are you leaving on Wedneday and where? If I can get the time off work, I'll come down to make sure you're gone see you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Go N'eiri an Bothar leat Cap.

Esroh wrote: »
    Go N'eiri an Bothar leat Cap.

Go raibh maith agat Llapac :D
    What time are you leaving on Wedneday and where? If I can get the time off work, I'll come down to make sure you're gone see you off.

I don't know at the minute, the hospice is organising the launch but I'll be informed tomorrow. Seriously, how many other people get media coverage and a launch from the mayor for their holidays? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Seriously, how many other people get media coverage and a launch from the mayor for their holidays? :D

Well it is Kilkenny so anything not to do with hurling is bound to be seen as a weird and strange curiosity !!

Anyway , best of luck ...

• Advertisement

Good luck Captain Havoc, and don't forget to bring back the yellow jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Bon voyage ! Nice way to spend the hols..

Beasty wrote: »

Thank you Beasty and damoz, I'll be wearing my 2008 one, if that's OK with you? I've nothing prepared, I'm in work today, I haven't put the rack on my bike, it may not even fit. I still have to wash my cycling gear, pack my bag and buy a spare tube. I knew I had to go to the LBS in Carlow this morning but owing to 4 hours of slumber I forgot what it was for, I need a new cassette but I'll survive on the one I have. As I mentioned in the Broomwagon, I just bought 11 SD cards, so hoping for plenty of footage and snaps, I already have the soundtrack picked out :D Each card only has one hour of footage as they're 2gb and the camera won't accept SDHC cards. I need to find the handlebar mount, hopefully there'll be a couple of "fookin' 'ell, that lorry nearly knocked me over, must a bin as close as 20 meters away" moments :D The cycle routes through Wales and England look promising but haven't a scooby doo about France (I used to live in Paris, which really isn't France). I just need to put a sign on my handlebars says "look left numbnuts".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Good luck and be prepared for a long long hill out of Cherbourg

I forgot to mention, check out www.kilkennypeople.ie tomorrow, where there's supposed to be an article about my holiday epic journey. The press release from the hospice is here. Also €1276 has been donated to the hospice via the mycharity page which is the most important thing :) Oh yeah, and the local radio KCLR will be ringing me in the afternoon at some points along the route, I believe it's the afternoon show between 15h00 and 19h00.

So if I cock this up, the whole feckin county will know about it and I'll have to emmigrate far away to somewhere like Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Best of luck lad...

UPDATE: Official launch time tomorrow is 15h00 outside the castle with the mayor, photographers and others. Will be on KCLR at around 15h30, ye can listen online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

All i can say is you better win after all this hype if you don;t come out with at least a podium finish you'll be a laughing stock. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Best of luck Captain H. Hope you have a safe journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

G'luck dude! Get a bottle of Calvados over there. Gets ya bucked! :D

First day done. 106km in 5h12mins. A whole load of messing about was going on get prepared, the rack only got installed an hor before the official launch and the bag was packed about five minutes before due to family things. Got launched by the mayor of Kilkenny, some people to see me off and photos for the local papers. Did an interview for local radio, first time was too windy so they rang me back and we did a proper one. Once the radio interview was done, I was on my way. The weather was threatening the whole way down but it never got to more than a couple of drops. I also managed to take my first wrong turn and I wasn't even out of my own county, I wasn't paying any attention and was in a world of my own when I passed Jerpoint abbey about 3kms past Thomastown, there I was thinking, "yeah up the road, turn at Ballyhale, wait, why am I going to Ballyhale?" So I turned around and headed back to Thomastown and back on route to Instioge, New Ross, where I grabbed a sambo, Wexford and Rosslare Harbour. Hotel kitchen is closed but there's a dodgey looking chipper beside it so I got a curry chip, to carb up. I feel fine, I'm going to head to bed now. Internet is a bit steep €2 for 16mins. Boat leaves at 9 in the morning, arrives in Fishguard at 12 and I hope to be in Cardiff for about 21h00. I feel grand, not too tired.
    As previously mentioned, I don't like water and I hate passionately travelling by boat, despite the fact it is very comfortable.
    I probably won't be writting here tomorrow as it'll be late when I arrive in Cardiff.
    TTFN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Best of luck man!

So who is the "Lady at the Castle" then Captain?

Oh, I forgot to mention at the end of the interview yer one that interviewed me said 'on yer bike'. I couldn't say anything.

Delighted to see the Dan Martin jersey donated by RobFowl is doing well in its auction thread. Unfortunately it would probably be inappropriate for me to bid for that one - much better that it goes to an Irishman.

I know how much that yellow jersey means to you, so I will offer €50 to your charity for it, assuming it has a genuine "Captain Havoc" signature, and clearly after you have delivered on your commitment to wear it in a sportive (ideally the Tour de Kilkenny) alongside me this summer.

Delighted to see the Dan Martin jersey donated by RobFowl is doing well in its auction thread. Unfortunately it would probably be inappropriate for me to bid for that one - much better that it goes to an Irishman.

I know how much that yellow jersey means to you, so I will offer €50 to your charity for it, assuming it has a genuine "Captain Havoc" signature, and clearly after you have delivered on your commitment to wear it in a sportive (ideally the Tour de Kilkenny) alongside me this summer.

Beasty I'll match the 50 euro just to see him wear it in Tour KK

Got to Fishguard,it was bucketing down. Took a wrong turn ended up going towards St. avd, realised my mistake and turned back to Fishguard. It just kept coming down, eventually it was so bad I couldn't see more than a few meters. After 4h30m + and 90kms I decided that it would be too dangerous for me to continue on. My club mates will tell you, I'm not one for shying away from a bit of rain but this really was too much. Got train from Carmarthen to Cardiff.

In light of yesterdays abandoness, I decided that today should be a bit longer. Marked at 60kms, I decided that I would follow the national cycle route which would add a few kms on. The route took me to Carphilly, Newport, Caldicot, Chepstow and Bristol. The national cycle route is a great idea but not sitable for me. Parts of the road are on dirt tracks, one part took me through a field, where there were no signs and I got lost, other parts signs go missing. Tomorrow it'll be back on A and B roads. The upside is that it brought me down some lovely country lanes and always on a safe route. I kept having to go really slow though. When I arrived in Bristol this evening I had a full three couse meal. Big breakfast will be had in the morning. There was a couple of lycra clad ladies going up a lane, Captain Havoc made sure to ease past them :D I got into a chain gang with some Polish guys near Bristol :) Also, looking for directions: "sorry wil this road take me to Bristol?" Englander: "yes, do you want the shortest route oor by the port route, it's lovely?" CH"No, I just want the shortest way" Englander "well if you go down this road etc.. it'll bring you down the port route, it's really nice for cycling" CH "Thanks" He was right, it is a lovely route but I've been to Bristol 568 million times already but ayway, it would only haveaded a k or two. 116.9kms 6h27 ave 18.1, we're going to have to go a bit harder tomorrow. By the way, this keyboard is annoying the hell out of me, have to stamp my finger to make it work. Can't check facebook either :(

• Advertisement

Fair call Cap. You willl just have to get a pair of yellow Shorts for the TKK to make up for it:D

@ ESROH, oh yeah, like I could possibly make it more humiliating.

One thing I've learned about myself is that I'm the worlds worst tourist, instead of going into town I just stayed on the A roads and bull on. I wasn't particularly in the humour for hanging around and just wanted to get to Portsmouth and get sleep as it's a 7am sailing in the morning (hope I get up). Started in Bristol, had my first puncture right outside a Halfords, went in and borrowed their track pump :D Then on to Bath, Warminster, Salisbury, Southampton and Portsmouth. I stopped for lunch after 50kms in a Little Chef outside Warminister and only for a sandwhich and a snickers inbetween. Just had a McCardiacarrest there as it's the only thing close by. The hotel is right beside Fratton park. If this is Etap, I can't wait to see the Formule 1s. The only thing of any note today was when I considered heaading towards Stonehenge but pulled out when I decided it could be a while. Southampton waterfront has some strange kinda Miami Vice feel to it, what with the cruise liners and that. I had a guide to bring me into Southampton, some nice dude come off a long spin, and for the first time an English cyclist gave me a wave. Tomorrow is "rest" day, I'm sure the French will wave at me as we know they like to do things with their hands :D
    Today 166.27kms in 7h33 ave 21.9kmph (went down dramatically between Southampton and Pompey. Odometer for the week so far is reading 476.8kms. I'm off to bed now.
    TTFN

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

good luck on the rest of your journey

Southampton waterfront has some strange kinda Miami Vice feel to it,
    Hallucinations setting in Captain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Good luck captain havoc! Any pics yet?

No posts from Captain Havoc in over 72 hours:eek:

I've not seen any reports of a ferry sinking in the Channel, so assume he is either lost, or being shown the sights of Môret-sur-Loing courtesy of those podium girls he was talking about

Is it time to send out a search party yet?
    SubLuminal wrote: »
    Any pics yet?

There are a couple from the start on his facebook page

• Advertisement

Im Sure we would have heard of an Irish Citizen in Black and Amber going overboard by now. So the Question is What has Happened to Captain.

Today was the stage he wanted to see was it not. Has he been arrested for posing as Spartacus in his Yellow jersey

Esroh wrote: »

Today was the stage he anted to see was it not.

Just checking his itinerary, and he threw a rest day in - it looks like tomorrow is the big day!

I am concerned however at recent reports that Interpol as well as the FDA are starting to look into allegations of cheating in cycling - jumping on that train to Cardiff may have come back to haunt him:D

Just checking his itinerary, and he threw a rest day in - it looks like tomorrow is the big day!

I am concerned however at recent reports that Interpol as well as the FDA are starting to look into allegations of cheating in cycling - jumping on that train to Cardiff may have come back to haunt him:D

There would be no way he could only get 2 years for mechanical doping of that level.

Could we see the Cycling News headline

McQuaid gives First Lifetime Ban to Fellow Irishman Captain Havoc of Marble City Cycling Team:D

How diddly doodly from Fontainbleu. I'm staying in the cheapest of hotels (Formule 1) and they don't have internet access. So this is the short version of the story so far. I'll write a complete version when I'm back in civilisation.
    First day in France, day off, went for a 30km cycle westwards from Cherbourg.
    Day 2, went along the coast taking in the WWII sites, St. Maire Eglise, Carentan, Pointe du Hoc, Omaha beach, Ouistreheim. Caen. 211kms.
    Day 3, spend ages trying to get out of Caen, lovely scenery, qrrived in Alencon, about 180kms covered. Climb before Alencon of about 400m, temperature hitting towards 40. I passed a pharmacy at 18h00 and it was still reading 29.
    Day 4, Get out of Alencon quickly, headed through Nogent le Routrou and down to Orleans: It was about 40° as I was climbing. I had to stop about 4 times an hour, once to buy water and three times for a "besoin naturelle". Those last two days I drank about 5 litres of water and two litres of coke.
    Day 6, Don't see any of Orleans, just make like a bat out of hell. I should be wrecked but I peg it to Montargis, where I position myself infront of the big tv screen. It's only the second day of the tour that I get to watch. They were going around giving out free bottles of vittel before the tour? I managed to get two, which I badly needed. Must be agony racing in that heat. Got some photos. One of those simple but increadibly nice gestures was made to me: when I got back to my bike someone had left a bottle of Vittel on my carrier, I thought it was super-nice and probably cost the person nothing. Pegged it up to Moret and got there for about 22h00, 1,199kms covered since I left and I'd say I'm about 3kg lighter, the clothes are hanging off me.
    Day 7, rest day. Met the mayor of Moret, watched the tour in my room. Here in Fontainbleu now, gracious of a bit of internet. Tomorrow is Paris and a session in my old haunt, The Bowler. Sunday I told a friend I'd go cycling with him. The legs feel great I have to say and I'm starting to think about the next big adventure ;)
    TTFN

Well done Captain - you'll see from the posts above we were beginning to get a bit worried that you may have "strayed" - I think you should go out and so that extra kilometre this evening to make it the round 1,200.

Great achievement, but I do worry what your next escapade will be.

• Advertisement

Well done Captain - you'll see from the posts above we were beginning to get a bit worried that you may have "strayed" - I think you should go out and so that extra kilometre this evening to make it the round 1,200.

Great achievement, but I do worry what your next escapade will be.

I've well past it, spent a while looking for the hotel last night and cycled up to Fontainbleu now, I'll give you a total of the whole holiday when I get back home. At the moment I'm thinking of becoming name no. 8 on the UCIs list of Gold Riders but the trip to New Zealand might be a bit much. How cool would it be to say down the pub, I'm one of 8 gold riders in the world? Ok not that cool, probably won't help me pull burds at all.

Chapeau Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Fair due to Captain. Will catch up with you to hear and swap the stores. I'm sure you we will see your mug in the local papers once again!! Fair play.

I will write a proper report up soon but I'm busy, busy at the moment as I've my driving test on Thursday and I'm kind of concentrating on that. Want to thank RobFowl for putting up the Dan Martin jersey and 100Suns for the winning bid, also thanks to the other bidders. I myself couldn't bid because I'm momentarily skint until I get paid, it costed a lot to fuel this machine on the trip (my body as opposed to the Cancellera type one wink.gif ). Boardies were by far the biggest contributors to the mycharity.ie page, so a huge thank you to everyone who donated and that spread the word. I am going to change my signature as soon as I think of something humorous or clever. Before I do get around to writting something here's my first attempt at movie maker so don't laugh. It's the photo's of the trip and a couple of videos, just though they'd be a bit more interesting with music:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Captain Havoc, over all looks like you had some fantastic weather for the majority of the trip, also lots of WWII stuff to see which would be interesting :)

Had a laugh at the "<-- Cars" sticker on your bike,

Great pictures and videos - at that speed we'll never be able to call you Captain Slow again

Good luck with the driving test

Advertisement