Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vmware - Starting point

• 05-02-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Trying to get my head around VMware at the moment, from reading the white papers im just finding the terminology and how it all fits together a bit frustrating.

Does anyone have any VIDEO links with simple explanations as to how it all works.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

was just about to ask a similiar Q to the OP, one other thing, I'm just learning at home and not in the office is there a 32bit vesion of ESXi? I'm gonna be using a desktop PC and i can't seem to locate one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

sweet thanks

Virtualization Forum 2010 - Register Now

Free to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I attended the VMware Vsphere 4.0 fast track, so know everything about vmware now.. really interesting. just hope to get a job now where i can use it.

Did you pay for that yourself? And where did you do it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Download ESXi 3.5 and play with it on a server or beefy PC, Google is your friend buts its actually really easy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

The_Edge wrote: »
    Did you pay for that yourself? And where did you do it??

I know Sureskills are running trhis course for about €2300 over 5 days. I'm looking into going on it then doing VCP exam.

I managed to get Sureskills down to €1750, just need to book the time off and do it mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

These might help, some blogs\Tech sites around VMware

http://vmworld.com/community/sessions/2009/

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

LoGiE wrote: »
    I know Sureskills are running trhis course for about €2300 over 5 days. I'm looking into going on it then doing VCP exam.

HP in Leixlip are running the course every 3 months for 1500 if your HP staff and 1900 if your not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I attended the VMware Vsphere 4.0 fast track, so know everything about vmware now.. really interesting. just hope to get a job now where i can use it.

Virtualization in Ireland is extremely slow, when company's start buying more Blades you will see more and more VMware jobs popping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

Lots of info here:
    http://blogs.vmware.com/esxi/

Mike Laverick has excellent guides to many things, including ESX ...
    http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/vmware-content/the-rtfm-guides/

swampgas wrote: »
    Lots of info here:
    http://blogs.vmware.com/esxi/

Mike Laverick has excellent guides to many things, including ESX ...
    http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/vmware-content/the-rtfm-guides/

Yeap, I only just bought Mike's book on vSphere 4 implementation. Good read.

Check out the below link if podcasts are your thing
    http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=19367

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm using this blog at the moment and its really good.

http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/vcp-vsphere-upgrade-study-notes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

VmWare is a Great Program to have and a Must need Program if Running Servers and PC

I have done the VCP course which is VmWare own Course, if you have this Course Along With CCNA or CCIE their not a Great Chance you get into a Networking Job, So far i'm studying for my CCNA.

What VmWare does, It Allows 1PC to Run up to 4 OS at the Same time, you have a choice to Share IP or Set one up to be different from the Host,

Ok i have a Windows 2003 and 2008 Server for Testing at home, Running on 2 pcs. One which is Old has 3 OS of Windows 2003 Server, As Print Server, File Server and SQL Server. On the Other Pc i have 2008 install twice, One for Domain DNS and the other as Active Dirc.

the Domain DNS Server is the Main one, Each Server is Hook onto that With their own Static IP Address,

The Cool thing about VMWare is that you may only have Real NAT Card! But with Virtual PC you can Add as many NAT you want and Cluster them with one another. Each Virtual PC has 3 Virtual NAT Cards, One allows to to surf the web, by Sharing the PC IP and Mac Address, and the other 2 are for Switch, and one for Spare. i don't have a Router for the Servers add to a Router as i dont need to as i have the Main Host PCs to allow them to get to the Web

I have also my MacBook with VMWare Fusion running, both XP, Vista and Windows 7 along with Suse, Red Hat and Ubuntu.

Vmware is Easy to get the hand of just go to settings and everything is their for you to Run OS with Problem Free pc Upgrade RAM to Around 4gbs 2 for the main Pc and 2 for the Virtual PC, or just have 512mb each,

Note that the Virtual PC will only take a Loan of the 2gb but once shutdown the Main PC takes back the 2 GB and allows it to use the full 4GB

... if you have a CCIE and you cant get a networking job I would be very surprised

With cisco you have CCIE CCNA CCNP CCNE

If have ccie which is like CompTIA Network+ both get you ready for your CCNA STUDYING to be in the big jobs you will need CCNA or better CCNP.

If you have MCSA OR MCSE which are Microsoft server course you get a job in any server room only thing is that their really dear to dear for my liking. But that said if you have MSCA CCNA VCP, you can walk in any job and talk about wage

Not being smart but you made some notable mistakes..

Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE®) is the highest level of technical networking certification offered by Cisco

The Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification is accepted worldwide as the most prestigious networking certification in the industry. Network Engineers holding an active Cisco CCIE certification are recognized for their expert network engineering skills and mastery of Cisco products and solutions.

CCENT - CCNA - CCNP .. etc

In addition, the MCSA and MCSE have been retired. The MCTIP SA / EA are the new top Microsoft Certs (Architechs not included)

• Advertisement

Some place up the country do them still also the micosoft office 2003 course can't understand why anyone would do the 2003 when tey have 2010 out

what's a good course to get your foot in the door is CompTia server+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Great post with lots of resources guys.
    Was just about to come on here and ask a few questions about something I am hoping to set up shortly.
    I'll have a read of a few of the links but in the meantime will fly this past ye.

I'd like to set up 20 PC's in a classroom to boot from one of four or five "shared" VMware images.
    Does this sound possible?
    Basicilly we are planning on installing three/four types of testing environments which require their own setups. I was thinking of doing a VMware image for all 3/4, however the PC's will need to use these from initial boot onwards. Does this sound like something I can use VMware for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers, Will take a look into it.

Ok easy way download vmware home install on all computers install xp on any one of the. The image file is saved onthe vmware OS folder copy and place it in every pc when they come in ask them to go into vmware, or what you could do but would cost money but Esx server each computer need to be hooked to a network install host in server and client in each pc and install xp in each pc. When they boot the computer you will have a choice of os on the boot normal xp or vmware xp

Or you could go old skool on the pcs ghost an image of a newly installed os and push it out to all the pcs but does need alot of ram and memory for the host pc to be able to push an image out to 20 pc at run time

Advertisement