Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Health Insurance waiting period

Options
  • 05-02-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am enquiring for a 66 year old male applying for private health insurance for the first time. I understand that outside of 'accident or injury' they will have to wait 2 years and maybe 10 to be covered.

I am looking for the definition of 'accident or injury'. Obviously it means stuff like falling down the stairs or being knocked down etc.

Does it cover heart attack or stroke? We realise it probably wouldn't if there is a pre-existing condition at the moment but if the person had never had a heart problem would they then be covered?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Heart Attacks and Strokes would not be covered as they are medical issues.

Accident and Injury would only cover anything like falls, crashes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Like Jimoc says, the likes of heart attacks wouldn't be covered. Immediate cover only applies for accidents, but alot of people think that extends to emergencies.

If you wanted to be completely certain of what is covered, asked the insurer of your choice for their definition of accident, it's probably in the policy documentation they send after joining. This documentation is available beforehand if you request it. E.g. Vhi define an accident as "Bodily injury caused solely and directly by external, violent and visible means."

Also check with all three insurers if they do any special offers where the 2 year waiting period is reduced (or waived entirely). Reductions weren't uncommon when I was working for BUPA some years back, and things may not have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

One trick which has worked well for us in the past is to ring all of them and ask them to send you out information and an application form.
    Then do nothing.
    After 6-8 weeks they will send out a letter saying that if you sign up within the next week then they will waive the waiting period.

Then sign up.

Advertisement