Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybane 'Souterrain'

Options
  • 05-02-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

linky

Does anybody know anything about this ? I noticed it on a map once somewhere (it's behind SuperValu in Ballybane/off part of Monivea Park)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Seems to have been a ring fort there:
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,532431,726690,8

hit 'historical black and white' to see it mapped in the 1830's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

sssshhhh! its a secret! least it was when i was alot yunger. many a sneaky fag or "goon" of cider was had down there!!

The circle of trees look like the outline of a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The circle of trees look like the outline of a ring.

Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Myself and another guy wandered in there one night going home after a house party up in Sailin and we didnt have a clue where the feck we were, after a while I was starting to thing we'd ended up down the Tuam Road somewhere, its dark in there.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Well spotted.
    It took me a while to find. I thought I'd share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

There was o 'mound' of earth around it... I used to frequent the place in my younger years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Seems to have been a ring fort there:
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,532431,726690,8

hit 'historical black and white' to see it mapped in the 1830's

Nice one!

I can't believe it, I passed by a couple of times and didn't even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OK, let me elaborate a little.
    "an underground chamber or passage" is the definition from
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/souterrain.
    Which is not the same as a ring fort. I wondered if anyone knew anything about its alleged underground content. It was the word souterrain that initially sparked my interest when idly looking at a map one day a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Lived near there and always remember being told it was a fairy fort, and that no builder would build there etc because they'd end up with thorns in their bed (cue those school story books form the 80's)

• Advertisement

Maybe it was a cairn...

Souterrains and ring forts often go together.

I went to see it today, nice place. Maybe the souterrain was some sort of storage area in the enclosure. You can see the fragments of one concentric external ring, that's all.

lucianot wrote: »
    I went to see it today, nice place.
    Glad you enjoyed it
    Maybe the souterrain was some sort of storage area in the enclosure. You can see the fragments of one concentric external ring, that's all.

[pedant] you'd want more than one to be able to call 'them' concentric :D;) :P
    [/pedant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

Souterrains and ring forts often go together.

You are correct. It is both.

I could be wrong but I would swear that people stayed in the passage way for a night before. Willie Henry who lives a few doors from it so if you ever meet him buy him a pint and e will tell you all about it and other facinating history of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

My mams always telling me that she used to play there as a child. About 30 years ago or so. I've never actually been in there though.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it

[pedant] you'd want more than one to be able to call 'them' concentric :D;) :P
    [/pedant]

One more concentric ring then? A second concentric ring? A concentric centric center? :D

So where is the underground passage then? Or is it just a fantasy name for a supposed entrance to the other world where taxes are lower? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I grew up here. Spent ALL my time outdoors down here, or 'the woods' as we call it. :)

I could climb every tree in the place. We often tied rope from them and made a swing. Built loads of huts and played all sorts of games down there. We used to tell loads of ghost stories there and there was always the one about the ringfort. The mounds that are around it used to be open passage ways until people deemed them dangerous. So one day they decided to fill them in. But as they were doing it they didnt realise there was a boy playing in them and he got trapped alive. He still haunts the woods to this day. ;)
    That's the short version obviously.

It's funny how much time I spent there growing up and now that I've moved out I haven't been in there for about 5 years. It was never the same when they put up all the fencing. Really ruined the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i definitely wouldn't explore the place on my own.

whats th name of the cave in riverside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

Fuinseog wrote: »
    whats th name of the cave in riverside?

Coopers

• Advertisement

cardoor wrote: »
    Coopers

Where's that then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

I remember going down there years ago from merview school with an archaeologist / local historian type guy. It is the ruins of a very large ringfort. The Souterrain was closed up about 30 years ago as it was deemed unsafe, there were many ringforts up around there, theres another one in merlin park woods too near the castle, also a castle up in race course and a bronze age cemetery was excavated in the 1970s up in Rockland near Supervalu. Also there is a monastry and round tower ruin up in Roscam along the shore.

A small bit more info of who excavated the ringfort
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/25550137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Polka

Ballybane ring fort, Riverside cave...sounds really interesting, do you have more info about it???

One more concentric ring then? A second concentric ring? A concentric centric center? :D

So where is the underground passage then? Or is it just a fantasy name for a supposed entrance to the other world where taxes are lower? :D

I take you do know what a pedant is ? And apologies for sometimes being one. 'Concentric' implies 2 circles that have the same centre
    :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Remind me where abouts Cooper's cave is.

We were always looking for a way in to the souterrain as kids. Never heard of a ghost!

Another place we used to hang about was in Wellpark by the Pond, walkway down to the Dublin Road between the Eye and the Garage. You used to have to go in under bushes. Don't know if it's still there or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Another place we used to hang about was in Wellpark by the Pond, walkway down to the Dublin Road between the Eye and the Garage. You used to have to go in under bushes. Don't know if it's still there or not.

Interesting. I doubt it though, looking at the sat-map, I'd say it's probably been built over by ...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.281888,-9.02808&spn=0.003073,0.009645&t=h&z=17&msid=105829947892211882597.00047f31b3fafdbc4b9b6

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

It's actually behind Glenburren Park and not in Riverside. I think the name Cooper's is made up as well. I think it was named after a famous cave with the same name that was used in The Last of the Mohican's.

We were always looking for a way in to the souterrain as kids. Never heard of a ghost!

i was last in coopers cave 30 years ago. its just above where the river runs underground. does that river actually have a name? the one that runs behind dunnes on the headford road.
    the landscape was different back then, no big road.
    i went in and came out as black as soot, people used to light fires in it. the mother went ape****.
    it goes in a fair bit, just how far i cannot remember. any takers for where it comes out, if at all?

darrenh wrote: »
    It's actually behind Glenburren Park and not in Riverside. I think the name Cooper's is made up as well. I think it was named after a famous cave with the same name that was used in The Last of the Mohican's.

its been known as coopers cave for at least 60 years. is it marked on the OS map?
    as with any cave do not explore by yourself

• Advertisement

i think there is a souterrian out the tuam road. there is a ring fort just off the road, there used to be a sign for it, but is was removed.
    I am nearly 100% sure there is a underground passage in the centre of the fort. about 15 miles out the road.

Advertisement