Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't want to rent a room for a whole year, what should I do?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello,

The lease on our apartment is just running out and my friend wants to move out. As I don't want to renew the lease on my own I decided I should move out and rent a room somewhere. If another friend becomes free to rent I would probably lease an apartment with them.

The problem is that most of the rooms I've looked at say 1 year+, does that mean I'm going to be stuck in the contract for a whole year? I would like to be able to move out if a friend became free so I could share with them. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to nominate someone to replace you. If the landlord objects (without good grounds) then you are free to leave without penalty.

However, the problem may be in getting someone suitable to replace you, who is willing to take on the rst of the term for the stated rent. In a falling market, you might find that the market rent in 6 months time might be €100-200 per month less than currently and it is you that would have to pay this amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The "1 year +" that you're seeing on Daft or elsewhere is generally the MAXIMUM that the room would be available for I think. There is a large supply of accomodation available at the moment and I don't think anybody would have a problem taking you in for 3 or 4 months on a month by month basis.
    Also there's often no contract as such when renting a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Yes, it's the 'Available For 1year+' that I'm seeing on Daft that's confusing me. Does that mean that if a room says 'available for 6 months' then the landlord is only committing to let you rent the room for 6 months but you can leave with a months notice whenever you like? Can anyone confirm that's what the available period means? My previous experience is with renting an apartment so that's why I was thinking it was a minimum lease...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

if you are intererested in sharing a room in a house you could do it for less than a year. i'm a teacher and for the last 6 years have been going home to my home town. when i make the intially enquiry about a place, I will ask if it is okay that I only rent until June. some places say no some say yes - it's that easy. only problem is most places that allow you to do this are owner occupiers. make sure you say though that you will not be finding someone to replace you! most places have the year plus cause its an option daft give doesnt mean it's gospel! hope that helps!

Advertisement