Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student living in Galway

Options
  • 05-02-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

I suppose this is related to student living in Galway. I am planning on living in Galway for a month this summer while volunteering near the university/ city centre. I am a student but not into the partying scene. One bed/bath/kitchen would be great but it must be furnished - any ideas of where to look? Also, how much should I expect to pay including utilities? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Look on www.daft.ie for short-term lets.

Corrib Village do hostel style accommodation for tourists over the summer, and they're close to the university. I'm not 100% certain, but think you get a bedroom to yourself and shared facilities (kitchen etc) otherwise.

There are various tourist flats in areas like Salthill, but I think most are more than 1 bedroom, and priced on the basis of more than one person staying. You'd probably find them prohibitive.

Backpacker hostels probably aren't an option, since mostly won't want a long term tenant at that time of year.

Is there any way you can share with other people volunteering on the same project? It might make using some of the tourist accommodation more viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paparazzi333

Thank you for your reply. I just checked Corrib Village and they only allow visitors for up to 21 days. I think most of the volunteers will be local and not need to procure accommodations like I will. Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Place an ad in the Galway Advertiser at www.advertiser.ie in the "accommodation wanted" section.

And no, I don't work for the Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Corrib Village is an absolutely awful hovel, dont even consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Place an ad in the Galway Advertiser at www.advertiser.ie in the "accommodation wanted" section.

And no, I don't work for the Advertiser.

Or keep a look out in the Advertiser for the ads.

Also +1 on Corrib Village being a kip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Ring Corrib Village and ask 'em. Kip or not, it is let out as backpacker accommodation over the summer, and the single rooms means it's nicer than your average hostel.

Would any of there local volunteers perhaps need a short-term flatmate for the duration of the project? If you can share transport with them, it opens up more areas for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

unJustMary wrote: »
    Look on www.daft.ie for short-term lets.

Corrib Village do hostel style accommodation for tourists over the summer, and they're close to the university. I'm not 100% certain, but think you get a bedroom to yourself and shared facilities (kitchen etc) otherwise.

There are various tourist flats in areas like Salthill, but I think most are more than 1 bedroom, and priced on the basis of more than one person staying. You'd probably find them prohibitive.

Backpacker hostels probably aren't an option, since mostly won't want a long term tenant at that time of year.

Is there any way you can share with other people volunteering on the same project? It might make using some of the tourist accommodation more viable.

I dunno about hostels. the bigger ones would be booked out, but smaller ones like salmon weir might be glad to have someone for three months.

email someone at NUIG. i am sure there are students who are not there for the summer but want to hold on to their gaff.

Advertisement