Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox live dies in April.....

• 05-02-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Funeral arrangements:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188625/m ... amers.html

Sad news indeed. Microsoft are to officially shut down Xbox live services for Xbox games on 15/4/2010. This includes games played by emulation on the 360's "originals" range. This action symbolizes the last of the links between 360 and Xbox apart from name and Halo. I always got the impression that Microsoft have been somehow embarrassed by the original Xbox and have really tried to distance itself from it since 360 launched with the half arsed backwards compatibility and no Xbox peripherals support. It is disappointing for me especially as I will no longer have the ability to play OutRun 2 tracks online.

On the plus point, at least I can now softmod my Xbox without fear of being banned from live. Will probably get XBMC onto it (Though I do have a WD HDTV media player, I can have XBMC on the house network and stream my media freely).

Also, there are still some options for those of us who like to play Xbox games online using xbconnect. Unfortunately, it only works with system link games so no Street Fighter III online anymore. :cry:

Anyone want to join me and dedicate a day/night/weekend/week to original Xbox online gaming? Would be a fitting memorial for a fantastic service. Condolences below please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It'd be nice to ressurect Halo 2 again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If I remember correctly, the Live service for xbox was the only reason for the 100 friend limit on the 360. I wonder if this will be opened up now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Mr E wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the Live service for xbox was the only reason for the 100 friend limit on the 360. I wonder if this will be opened up now?

That would be cool! Also adding some sort of categorizing system for friends would be class!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

That's really daft, where do they get off doing that? My Gold subscription only ran out today:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Have Outrun 2 and Halo 2 so I'd be up for some final original xbox gaming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

*sits back and waits for people who haven't read the story to go mental*

"But now I can't play MW2!? That's bullsh*t!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

Another example of Microsoft being gay again! Just cost cutting and working things out for their own benefit..

PlayStation Network will dominate Xbox live soon enough! as it just gets better and better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Good move tbh, ditch the outdated hardware and the restraints that come with it so they can improve the service for the 360.
    Another example of Microsoft being gay again!

Ehh...
    Just cost cutting and working things out for their own benefit..

That's generally how businesses operate yeah.

PlayStation Network will dominate Xbox live soon enough! as it just gets better and better!

Well they'll have to sell more PS3's first. About 5-6 million more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

ZOMg N0 cod 4 ME GUESS I GOTSTA LRN 2 Read and getz a job yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Well they'll have to sell more PS3's first. About 5-6 million more.

Maybe not, I think Playstation Network pretty much the same number as Xbox Live Gold users, if not more. It being free helps a lot with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Another example of Microsoft being gay again! Just cost cutting and working things out for their own benefit..

Older PS3 games on the PSN are already having their online support removed for cost cutting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Ehhh noo... PSN while it has less lagg, does not have the same amount of services XBL has, will never amount to the same quality of services XBL has, and is bound to fail if Hideo Kajime is still making MGS for the next 20 years. I'd gladly pay my 7€ a month for this shnizzle, than get myself a ps3 with very little communication, and a terrible controller. But that's going OT.

My hope is that they re release Halo 2 to the games on demand, or even as an arcade version, to give us the oppurtunity to play it online. I feel it would get more of a community if it was re released, and given it's the xbox flagship, I think we can expect to see that. Also I'm hoping they do update the Friends list, and give it more clan support.

Slugs wrote: »
    Ehhh noo... PSN while it has less lagg, does not have the same amount of services XBL has, will never amount to the same quality of services XBL has

i have both and there's very little difference between Xbox Live and the PSN in my opinion. Most of the differences are cosmetic, and a lot are just to do with what you're used to. I had my PS3 first so I found the Xbox Live Dashboard a bit cumbersome and cluttered to navigate initially. Xbox Live has a few areas where it's better than the PSN, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify charging for the service.

Also I've been playing MAG and there's a lot of communication on it, and a lot less shouting and abuse being shouted down the mic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

No more SFIII and DOA:Ultimate online. I hope the next update makes up for this.

Another example of Microsoft being gay again!

Microsoft are bi sexual,everyone knows that. Nintendo have yet to reach puberty so we'll have to wait and see.

Xluna wrote: »
    Microsoft are bi sexual,everyone knows that. Nintendo have yet to reach puberty so we'll have to wait and see.
    They could die before that stage though...

They could die before that stage though...

Doubt it,they have too big a userbase. Sales were bound to slow down eventually.

I dunno, that horse has been dead for quite a long time, I dunno how much they can get out of it before it's rotten to it's skeleton...

I dunno, that horse has been dead for quite a long time, I dunno how much they can get out of it before it's rotten to it's skeleton...

I'm more interested in what Nintendo will come up with for their next console.( See my rant in the Nintendo forum.) I'd like to know what the latest sales figures are for the next-gen systems if anyone has them. I'd hate to see Nintendo end up like Sega and Atari.

Xluna wrote: »
    I'm more interested in what Nintendo will come up with for their next console.( See my rant in the Nintendo forum.) I'd like to know what the latest sales figures are for the next-gen systems if anyone has them.

This article is about PS3 sales but has all the figures.

Yeah Nintendo have only managed to sell 67.45 million consoles this generation, almost double what Xbox and PS3 have sold. I'd say Nintendo are sh*tting themselves alright. Nintendo have found their own market and I imagine they'll stick to that market for the next console iteration.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see sega get back into the game. They're starting to pu out some very surprising games atm, and by surprising I mean good. As for nintendo, there industry is the handheld genre, and I think they should stic to that. This whole business of motion sensor for any console is always going to be a bad one, and when, not only your main console, but the entire marketing surrounding that console, is supported by the novelty, it's not going to do well.

This whole business of motion sensor for any console is always going to be a bad one, and when, not only your main console, but the entire marketing surrounding that console, is supported by the novelty, it's not going to do well.

Are you high or have you been living under a rock? Nintendo have sold almost double the number of consoles that the 360 has and over double the amount the PS3 has, precisely because of the motion controller and it's appeal to the casual market. They may have alienated the 'hardcore' gamer market in the process, but they've been immensely successful in doing so. Third party publishers and developers are finding it tough to get the amount of sales in software that Ninetendo manages.

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo's next console does as well as the Wii though, as the casual market will probably be less inclined to upgrade. That is until Wii Fit HD comes out.

I'd love to see sega get back into the game. They're starting to pu out some very surprising games atm, and by surprising I mean good.

I know what you mean but I think the console market is big enough as it is. More consoles= more competition for exclusive titles,which is bad for the consumer. I have no ill will at all towards Sony but I was delighted when they lost the exclusive rights to Tekken 6,Final Fantasy XIII, Soul Calibur 4 and Devil may cry 4. It saved me having to fork out on a PS3.
    I have mixed feelings about Sega atm. One one hand Virtua fighter 5 and Sega rally were great but they seem to be resting on past glories.
    Awful Sonic games,with the exception of the DS series, licensing out Golden Axe to one of the worst developers around to butcher the series. No Shenmue sequal. It seems they focus alot on their Megadrive back catologue of games, Sonic ultimate collection and almost seventy megadrive games on virtual console. It would be nice if they released a compilation of Saturn and Dreamcast titles.

Those figures are for console sales. I know 5 people who've bought wiis, and never use the damn things. Own wii sports, all casual gamers. I know 15 other gamers who're hardcore and own between 10 - 15 games apiece for those games, excluding PSN and XBLA purchases. While Nintendo have more console sale figures, the game sale figures I can guarantee are nothing compared to either of them. After all, how many wii titles push for extra peripherals? And how many titles have been made by either consoles? wii might win with console sales, but it's the game sales where the money is.

Those figures are for console sales. I know 5 people who've bought wiis, and never use the damn things.

If you want me to start pulling out software sales I will. Wii Play and Fit sell huge numbers. First party software sales for Wii games are very high. Also Nintendo make a profit on every console sold, unlike Sony and Microsoft. Though the attach rate for Wiis is indeed low, they still sell a mountain of software.
    I know 5 people who've bought wiis, and never use the damn things.

That's anecdotal evidence which doesn't match up to figures. Also I'd assume that the 5 people you know would fall outside Nintendo's targeted market.

Start pulling out software sales. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

have a look at this site

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Argh but it's Saturday and that involves work. I know that New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a massive seller. Also if Nintendo only sell a copy of a game to 50% of its customers, it

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2010/01/wii_software_sales_outmuscle_xbox_360
    During the final quarter of 2009 it is believed that the Wii accounted for 58% of total game sales, with a massive 30m sold in the month of December. This now makes the Wii the front-runner for lifetime software sales across all three platforms

Thats in the US but I'll look for more articles there in a minute.

EDIT: http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2010/01/wii_play_is_the_uss_best_selling_game_ever

link

The important part of the above article is
    The company's "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" was the month's top-selling game in the U.S., followed by the exercise game "Wii Fit Plus, then "Wii Sports Resort."

I could go on but i couldn't be arsed. That's for December too by the way. Christmas time, when most new consoles and software are bought.

It's fine, looked at the sales for wii fit. I've the balls to admit defeat. :P

• Advertisement

Stupid casual gamers ****ing up my arguments... I'll torture the lot of them...

Advertisement