Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange lights above Lusk?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Firstly I have not been drinking! I was just walking down Minister's Road when I noticed a ball of light, travelling very fast south - north, I could see it for about 30 - 40 seconds after which it disappeared. Seemed about half a mile up, although it was obviously very difficult to tell with no real point of reference. Colour-wise it was a orange-yellow, the colour of fire but there was no trail behind it so I don't think it was something on fire.

After that one disappeared there was a second one about 3 minutes later, travelling the very same trajectory although this one seemed slower and lower. I immediately though of chinese lanterns but these things travelled south to north whereas the wind seemed to be east - west.

Anyone else see them? Or know what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ask in the weather forum for the upper wind direction.

its chinese new year around now right?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

Martron wrote: »
    ask in the weather forum for the upper wind direction.

its chinese new year around now right?

Chinese new year is next weekend. Will check out the upper wind direction (didn't realise there was an uppper and lower!). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Id say it was the meteor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Chinese Lanterns.
    The answer to 99% of these type of questions for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Africa wrote: »
    Id say it was the meteor :)

Strangely enough it probably was

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0204/meteorite.html

or chinese lanterns;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Saw 2, what Iv been describing as "f'n flamin' balls," over Lusk on Friday night, I wasn't the only to see them, and I hadn't been drinkin'/smokin' etc. the other 3 people standing at the busstop with me outside Supervalu were blown away by it aswell. It was pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Saw 2, what Iv been describing as "f'n flamin' balls," over Lusk on Friday night, I wasn't the only to see them, and I hadn't been drinkin'/smokin' etc. the other 3 people standing at the busstop with me outside Supervalu were blown away by it aswell. It was pretty cool :)

The meteor was Wednesday at 6-lasted till around 6:30 at a push according to astronomey Ireland.

I think chinese lanterns are the obvious solution to these......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Yeah, THE meteor, this thing travelled further and way faster than any oriental decoration Iv ever seen could possibly manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Yeah, THE meteor, this thing travelled further and way faster than any oriental decoration Iv ever seen could possibly manage.

The famous Kinseally chinese lanterns were pretty fast all the same:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kippy wrote: »
    Chinese Lanterns.
    The answer to 99% of these type of questions for the past few years.
    The real answer is, of course, alien spaceships, but the "official" answer is "chinese lanterns";)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The truth is out there... :)

Advertisement