Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Relationship Thread

Options
  • 05-02-2010 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

All these "issue" threads seem to be doing fairly well, and V-Day is just around the corner, so where do you stand on relationships? Are you in one, and if not, do you want to be?

I'm not, but I think I'm just a relationship person. Scoring random people on nights out gets old so so quickly and it's just nice to have one person to be with. I hate when people say they don't want to be in a relationship because they'll be tied down, spend all of their time with one person and lose touch with their friends. Those are just characteristics of unhealthy relationships. Monogamy is not the same as codependence. A relationship is just one aspect of life, even though I think it's a pretty important one.

I also really hate those BS sayings like "You can't be with someone until you can be with yourself" which imply that if people are actively seeking relationships they aren't secure in themselves, and you should just wait for it to happen naturally. Fcuk that. Just because I want to be with someone doesn't mean I'm any less of an individual and don't have my own personality. Also, sometimes things just don't happen unless you make them happen by putting yourself out there.

Finally, the idea of being too young to be tied down. It's all well and good to want to be free to experience life to the full, but if you find someone who gets you, who you find attractive and you want to be with, I'd really think hard about letting that go. But that's just me...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

im not in one but i wish i was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I'm just a relationship person. Scoring random people on nights out gets old so so quickly.

You assume the two are mutually exclusive. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

im not in one but i wish i was :(

Me too but meh, plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I be in one now, and have been for last few months. So far, so great! Normally relationships for me end up in the bin after a few months(not all my fault:o), but this one is completely different(woohoo for clichés).

OP, I'd agree with ya on all those things you mentioned. Especially bout seeking out a relationship. They tend to be ones that will fail. For the relationship I'm in now, its the ultimate case(that I know of), of this arising naturally. Met in a pub one night, ended up actually getting her number(an achievement for me in its own right haha), and have talked literally every day since then. That included when I was in Oz for two months. Was only when college started again did I get to ask her out(yeah she hinted at it first, then I grew balls and asked her). But we talk pretty much every moment of every day, all arising from a random chance meeting.

Tis new for me to be in one this long, but hell, feels great this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't want to find myself in a relationship again anytime soon,
    I can honestly say I've come out worse from one then when I went into it,
    Some might say oh your still young you've got plenty of time to find someone else it couldn't have effected you that much

See this is where people can be completely wrong...
    Thinking about one person everyday over 6 months and feeling incredibly down even at the point of almost crying really isn't nice!

I love relationships though, just don't think I'd be able to commit again, not soon anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I definitely prefer relationships over one night stands. Plenty of people enjoy the random hook-up thing and yes I've done it in the past but personally it's just not for me.

When I was younger there was an awful lot of pressure to get off with people at parties etc. I'll admit that I succumbed to that pressure but I never felt good afterwards - the next day would be racked with guilt and general feelings of pointlessness. I just didn't get how you could be with one person so briefly and the next day mean nothing to each other? Meh, it didn't do much for my self-esteem I'll tell ya ;)

But what I've found even bloody worse than one night stands and random hook-ups is this 'are-we-aren't-we' going out thing. This whole hooking up with someone on a night out, hearing nothing from them until the next night out then hooking up again then hearing nothing then hooking up again etc. etc. for months on end. Unfortunately this has happened me more than once with people I really really liked at the time :/ Some might say why didn't you just walk away? Or ask them if ye were going out? I wonder myself but I know it had to do with my very very poor self-esteem.

Anyway, conclusion to all that is my decision that proper relationships are my kinda thing. Just the general certainty that that other person will be there for you and some form of commitment. Someone that you can talk to easily at any time, not just when you're plastered.

That's my two cents anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Mushy wrote: »

OP, I'd agree with ya on all those things you mentioned. Especially bout seeking out a relationship. They tend to be ones that will fail. For the relationship I'm in now, its the ultimate case(that I know of), of this arising naturally.

Actually I was saying the opposite! I think it can be a bit dangerous to just assume "ah sure it'll happen itself eventually" if you're completely oblivious to it and not somewhat on the lookout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Not in one at the moment. There is someone I would potentially like to be in one with right now though, but it will most likely never come to fruition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

phlegms wrote: »
    Not in one at the moment. There is someone I would potentially like to be in one with right now though, but it will most likely never come to fruition.
    This exactly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

phlegms wrote: »

Same, but I know that the relationship just wouldn't work out, for reasons other than the fact we get on so well together.

I'll write a lengthier reply to this later. My head isn't really in the right place. Too much physics going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

*sigh* I'm single and have been for quite a while.I can't particularly put my finger on it but there's something paricularly "friend only" about me.*shrugs*

I have the natural talent of being attracted to girls in relationships,every time that I can remember I've met someone who I get on with and think "maybe this is going somewhere" they are,without fail already taken.

And to make matters worse,Since I've started college I've not met anyone I've had any major sort of attraction to,guess I'll be single for a good whil longer so.

Edit: I just realised why I'm single,I'm an asshat,most've you have met me,you know it's true:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I can't imagine me ever being in any sort of relationship if I didn't actively seek one. I mean that in the sense that if you're not going to make friends if you don't try to make them. Whether you find it easy or not is a different matter of course.

As for myself, hate the ideas of one night stands. Much prefer the idea of monogamy. That said I'm still put off by the idea of relationships. It would involve work and I'm the kind to avoid work at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Actually I was saying the opposite! I think it can be a bit dangerous to just assume "ah sure it'll happen itself eventually" if you're completely oblivious to it and not somewhat on the lookout.

Whoops:o I mean that I wasn't expecting to come across anyone who could change my life so much though.

Until three or so months ago I hadn't been single since I was sixteen (I'm twenty now). I was going out with a girl for a year, then only a week after I broke up with her, I somehow managed to get myself into a three year long relationship. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to do that--as it was the last thing I wanted at the time--but I did. I enjoyed being in a relationship, but after four years of it I couldn't really take any more.

I actually love being single right now; I've been having some of the greatest nights of my life going out with single friends, and I don't really want that to change. Although, saying all of that, there is one particular girl that I'm drawn to, but I suspect nothing serious to ever come of that.

Anyway, that's about as much personal information as I've ever divulged online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Single at the moment.
    There's no-one I'm particularly interested in right now though so it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I preety much just admire from afar :P

although, i am kinda shy in real life as well. And i blush too easily, way too easily! (so i'd rather save myself the embarrasment). And the only 'relationship' i've ever had was crap. So meh...

I preety much just admire from afar :P

Yup Waterford is pretty far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Had abit of a "thing" going recently which at it's height was very dramatic, but that began to deflate since going back to school. I'm getting sick of the girl, I suspect she makes up stories, which is weird, and is just odd. Looks like I'm stuck in singularity for another while so, but I'm not burning bridges yet...

I know that being single for too long tbh gets me down, you begin to feel a bit rejected, but this usually causes me to rush into relationships which are crap, so I didn't do it this time and am very glad! I'll find the right girl, eventually!

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Yup Waterford is pretty far.

deise_girl?!!
    Edit: i'm just gonna edit this!! Just incase..

deise_girl?!!
    Edit: i'm just gonna edit this!! Just incase..

Now I want to know what it said before ;____;

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Now I want to know what it said before ;____;
    I don't im quite scared..
    I know we won the best couple Soccy but Im really not into this kinda thing. :pac:

Wait a minute, why aren't you kids in bed yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I've been in bed since after 9pm :cool:

because... I'm 16 in march..
    And deise, don't worry. The feeling is mutual :)

I am in bed, infact, I'm asleep. You are all a meer part of my dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

jumpguy wrote: »
    I am in bed, infact, I'm asleep. You are all a meer part of my dream.

*mere

I wouldn't do this if I didn't think you'd appreciate it rather than be offended.

because... I'm 16 in march..
    And deise, don't worry. The feeling is mutual :)

Well I'm 18 in June and I'm wondering why the hell I'm not in bed.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    *mere

I wouldn't do this if I didn't think you'd appreciate it rather than be offended.

lol at jumpguy misspelling mere like a meerkat. And this dude wants to go for med-i-cine :pac:

(only messing with ya dude :) )

A Neurotic wrote: »
    *mere

It was a typo Neurotic :(

<_<
    lol at jumpguy misspelling mere like a meerkat. And this dude wants to go for med-i-cine

(only messing with ya dude :) )
    While it is a major blow to my confidence, I won't be taking much offense from someone who thought humidity is the same thing as temperature. We won't get into the olives story...

• Advertisement

Well I'm 18 in June and I'm wondering why the hell I'm not in bed.

but you're never in bed...

Advertisement