Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Dog hyperventilating

Options
  • 05-02-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

My dog has suddenly started hyperventilating. It happened once about 2 nights ago, then once again last night but tonight alone its occured about 5 times. We're giving him plenty of water and blocking his nose to help him calm down but we're really really worried as he is still breathing heavily while resting. He is a medium sized, very fit dog so I don't think its inverted sneezing. I'd be really grateful if someone could give us some advice on what they think is wrong so we can relax a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is it where they're practically snorting, ie not breathing through the mouth and their lungs go right in? back legs push back and head goes forward ?

I know you said it's not inverted sneezing, but it's tricky to tell. Some breeds are actually prone to that. My little Daisy gets this sometimes.

Have you been to the vet with it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

I can't say I've ever seen that happen with my dog, so the only advice I can give is bring your dog to the vet and express your concerns. If you're worried then the vet is probably the best answer :) I hope the issue is sorted:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

God I'd take him to the Vet now if it was me! Hope he's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SpaceBlaze

No, we're taking him straight away tomorrow, we didn't pay much attention to it before, we just thought he was having a bad dream or something but its very bad tonight. Maybe its not hyperventilating, it sounds like he is struggling to get a proper breath, like a person having a panic attack is how I could best describe it. He doesn't do anything with his head or legs.

Well if it's like what I described at all, it's possible it's inverted sneezing, but this can be caused by a few things. Obviously only a vet can assertain what exactly and hopefully get treatment for it.
    As I said my Daisy gets this sometimes and it's very scary, she's gets frightened by it.

Best thing you can do is as you said, try to block the nose maybe, and force him to breathe through his mouth, this can ease the 'attack' and end it quicker. Fingers crossed he doesn't have too many more attacks before the vets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SpaceBlaze

Thanks everyone for your help, we'll be getting him checked out as soon as possible tomorrow, just worried for tonight as he is still breathing heavily, I'll be watching him like a hawk all night. I'll let you know what the vet says.

Aye I was going to say maybe have him in your room or something tonight so you can help if he has another attack. Make sure the rooms well ventilated too, dust and stuffiness might make it worse. Do let us know, I'll be thinking of him poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It does sound like reverse sneezing, babysat a dog who was doing it before. Does your dog pull on the lead? That caused my mates one.

Rubbing the throat is helpful. Seeing it is very stressful. I think my mate pinched her nose before aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Vet...could be serious chest infection and for Gods sake dont block the poor dogs nose

Advertisement