Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Computer Infected with Spyware

• 05-02-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭

K my computer is infected - found this out cos my broadband usage is MASSIVE - boyfriend used nearly 2gb in 2 hours looking at pics on facebook!!! Problem as I am on a mobile broadband with 10gb limit at 3days into my month I am at 8gb:eek: Rang O2 and they said the system was saying there was a possibility of spyware! I use Utorrent!

I have ran my spy dr search and its "removed" some but am skeptical!!

Anti Spyware
    Ad-Aware - Anti-spyware
    Hijackthis - lists all installed browser add-ons, other features
    SpyBot Search and Destroy - Anti Spyware
    XP Anti Spy - lets you disable some built-in update and authentication features in WindowsXP
    MS Windows Defender
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaste
    r

Which of the above (Thanks Khannie) is the best - safest? Free?

Sorry if this has been posted already kinda don't wanna spend too long online in case they work their magic again!!:mad:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Apologies I just found the sub forum on Malware!! Hope it works!:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

First off run Hijack this and post the log file up here.

Also I would downlad and run a MalwareBytesscan for starters, it is one of the best out there currently

Furthermore I would seriously consider either enabling Windows firewall if it is disabled, or install Comodo firewall as these will stop any programs from connecting to the internet without permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pembily wrote: »
    I use Utorrent!

Largely ignoring what you use Utorrent for, are you aware your usage includes both uploads and downloads. So if you were to acquire a 700mb file using torrents, you might have uploaded 1.3 gigs. Which would leave 2gig of usage. I'm not really aware of any spyware/malware which does heavy downloading/uploading. Whats the point outside of being a botfarm which doesn't hold much appeal anymore for hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

I downloaded AVG for free today, I think it's all right :)

marco_polo wrote: »

Also I would downlad and run a MalwareBytesscan for starters, it is one of the best out there currently

Furthermore I would seriously consider either enabling Windows firewall if it is disabled, or install Comodo firewall as these will stop any programs from connecting to the internet without permission.

Have just done that, and think its ok, usage looks ok again and computer running better!!

That is the problem, when I put Windows 7 on my laptop I had to remove my Comodo firewall and never thought to reload it - DOH!!!

Thanks will post results here!

Largely ignoring what you use Utorrent for, are you aware your usage includes both uploads and downloads. So if you were to acquire a 700mb file using torrents, you might have uploaded 1.3 gigs. Which would leave 2gig of usage. I'm not really aware of any spyware/malware which does heavy downloading/uploading. Whats the point outside of being a botfarm which doesn't hold much appeal anymore for hackers.

There was no Utorrent downloading going on at the time - yes possible uploading but no matter what I have downloaded before I have never had such high usage!!!

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »

I am getting an error, its attached, I try and do as it says but the file is not found!! The malware has finished and fixed, just needs me to restart!!

Thanks for all this!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I agree with previous poster wo already mentioned the following item.

Install the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Brilliant free tool at finding stuff others can't.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

...by the way, try running it in safe mode to further ensure you get everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

yup malwarebytes is the bee's knees but if's it a very tough virus, trojan.... u might need to disable system restore aswell as run in safe mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Can you install and use Malwarebytes while AVG Free is running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ajmull wrote: »
    Can you install and use Malwarebytes while AVG Free is running?

Yes you can but don't run a avg scan at the same time, you might want to look at this anti virus instead of avg free, I find it very good http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

• Advertisement
Advertisement