Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Portsmouth

• 05-02-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭

manchesterunited.jpg V portsmouth.jpg
    Nemanja Vidic is back in contention as Manchester United look to reclaim the Premier League’s top spot by beating crisis club Portsmouth at Old Trafford.

Vidic has been missing since suffering pain from a nerve in his leg prior to the encounter with Wigan at the end of December but has trained this week and could be involved, if not this weekend, then the crucial trip to Aston Villa on Wednesday.

Rio Ferdinand serves the second match of a four-game ban, although United have appealed against the additional match, imposed for a “frivolous” appeal against the first one.

United will leap back into top spot if they can overcome crisis club Portsmouth. And victory would pile the pressure on Chelsea, who meet Arsenal at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Given Pompey's recent results, a home win should be a formality.

But, having watched the south coast outfit at Fulham on Wednesday, Ferguson knows the performances of Avram Grant's team have been far better than the number of points they have picked up.

"Portsmouth were unlucky," said the United boss.

"They could have taken something from Wednesday's game but when you are down there it sometimes goes that way.

"But it is kick-on time for us now.

"The Arsenal win was massive for us because they are in great form.

"Each game that comes along on the run towards the finishing tape becomes more important.

"It doesn't matter who it is, we want three points from everyone now."

Nigeria striker Kanu is expected to be back in the Portsmouth squad having returned from the African Nations Cup.

Nadir Belhadj, Hassan Yebda and Aruna Dindane all played in the 1-0 defeat at Fulham after their international duty ended.

On-loan defender Ricardo Rocha could make his debut having been on the bench at Craven Cottage.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Rafael, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Fabio, Park, Nani, Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Anderson, Giggs, Rooney, Owen, Berbatov, Diouf.

Portsmouth (from): James, Finnan, Ben-Haim, Belhadj, Boateng, O’Hara, Wilson, Yebda, Basinas, Owusu-Abeyie, Piquionne, Webber, Dindane, Ashdown, Rocha, Mullins, Vanden Borre, Hughes, Ashdown, Kanu.

Ill go for a formation of

VDS
    Raf
    Vidic
    Evans
    Evra
    Nani
    Fletch
    scholes----Giggs
    Berba
    Rooney

Rafa got a knock against Arsenal so he's rated as a doubt but Im hoping he makes it

ill go for a 2-0 utd

06/02/10 15:00 MAN UNITED V Portsmouth live on setanta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

United are going to destroy Pompey tomorrow.

6-1, Berbatov with two, Valencia, Diouf, Evra and Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm hoping for the following side:

.............VDS

Brown..Vidic.Evans..Evra

Valencia..Fletcher.Carrick.Nani

.......Rooney..Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Really hope both Valencia and Nani start. I'm gonna miss the match-god damn work :mad:

Nice thread btw Headshot-top notch :)

Is this on Setanta 1 or Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Setanta 1 from 2:30

Liam O wrote: »
    Really hope both Valencia and Nani start. I'm gonna miss the match-god damn work :mad:

Nice thread btw Headshot-top notch :)

Is this on Setanta 1 or Ireland?

setanta Sports 1 - so i'll be streaming tomorrow...damn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

.............VDS

Raf.Vidic.Evans..Evra

.......Rooney..Berbatov

stick in brown if raf doesnt make it.now that Nani has had a few good performances I would like to see can he produce it from the left wing.he is getting praise from saf and his confidence should be sky high.we would be devastating if nani and valencia could produce the goods down both flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ugh, they have Ireland in the canteen in work, woulda been able to watch the 2nd half there on my break :(

will have to be constantly updating this page on my phone's internet browser so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

3-0
    The boy nani and the Rooninator, then a late one from Berba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Des wrote: »
    United are going to destroy Pompey tomorrow.

6-1, Berbatov with two, Valencia, Diouf, Evra and Carrick.

Kinda going overboard there a tad.Considering how hit and miss we have been this season , i would gladly take the 3 points without any injuries if it was a 1:0 win.Important games are a coming, let's not get be getting too cocky for our boots, eh ?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm hoping for the following side:

.............VDS

Brown..Vidic.Evans..Evra

.......Rooney..Berbatov
    Nani is playing well on right so for me you have to keep him there, even saf mentioned having a selection dilema between the two.

Btw thanks liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Avram will do his best to keep the score down but it will be United by four goals.

Headshot wrote: »
    Nani is playing well on right so for me you have to keep him there, even saf mentioned having a selection dilema between the two.

Btw thanks liam

true - but if there is any game we can try out both of them at the same time (and build up his confidence on the left) Pompey at home is it imo.

Plus I think Valencia needs some game time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Avram will do his best to keep the score down but it will be United by four goals.

Avram can't keep anything down :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

United by a couple, with Rooney on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Can't see anything except a win for United. 4-0. Rooney x 2, Nani, Berba.

What are your views CHD? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Apparently Pompey are getting supplied a shedload of Green & Gold scarves tomorrow and are "keen to show their support." They are also getting screwed over by debt so they know where we're coming from. Still, fair play to them if true. It'd make a good statement for the press tomorrow. Two sets of fans sharing the same message.

Lots of Green & Gold scarves being held in the air for the minutes silence tomorrow.

2-1 to us and Pompey to go on a run taking points off Chelsea, Citeh and the Arse. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Can't see anything except a win for United. 4-0. Rooney x 2, Nani, Berba.

What are your views CHD? :p
    Frustrating first half and crush them in last 20 mins. 4-0 probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Smegball wrote: »
    Avram can't keep anything down :cool:
    Wahey! :D

United 4-1. Rooney, Rooney, Vidic, Nani.

I will be camped in the pub for the Ireland Italy game at the ungodly hour of 6.30 in the morning (I hate time differences) but I've been happily informed they will be showing United Portsmouth on a few of the screens. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

I wonder will SAF rest Rooney tmw with one eye on the Villa game midweek? Hopefully not, Rooney needs to be playing and sticking him on the bench may disrupt his recent good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

will it be streamed on veetle do ya know

• Advertisement

mrDerek wrote: »
    will it be streamed on veetle do ya know

no idea - won't know til tomorrow.

Liam O wrote: »
    ugh, they have Ireland in the canteen in work, woulda been able to watch the 2nd half there on my break :(

will have to be constantly updating this page on my phone's internet browser so...

www.livescore.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can see it being a tough game, hopefully we wont see too many rested, SAF has said its a must win game so i expect Rooney to start

will happily take a 1 goal win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think you rest Rooney to be honest. He's had the week off, should be full of energy. Should be able to play vs. Villa too. I would however play a 4-4-2, Berbatov should get some goals. Nani and Valencia, and I'd love to see Anderson get a game here.

true - but if there is any game we can try out both of them at the same time (and build up his confidence on the left) Pompey at home is it imo.

Plus I think Valencia needs some game time too.
    I see where your coming from mitch alright but if it aint broke dont fix it :)
    Papa Smut wrote: »

pffft

nothing compared to

http://www.flashscore.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

My money is on under 3 goals at great odds, we will have to wait and see.

My money is on under 3 goals at great odds, we will have to wait and see.

I thought you were suppose to get rid of the sig ?

i find it amazing your able to get away with it in the sf and outside of it tbh

I thought you were suppose to get rid of the sig ?

i find it amazing your able to get away with it in the sf and outside it tbh

I was going to yeah will do soon enough,

its not breaking an rule is it?

I was going to yeah will do soon enough,

its not breaking an rule is it?

soon ehh

your said you were going to rid of it on friday now its saturday ?
    what did another poster call ya in the man utd thread ? cant put my finger on it (the mind isnt want it use to be) all i know it suits you down to the ground

if I answered your last part of your post properly i would get done, just have to laugh at the Irony

• Advertisement

soon ehh

your said you were going to rid of it on friday now its saturday ?
    what did another poster call ya in the man utd thread ? cant put my finger on it (the mind isnt want it use to be) all i know it suits you down to the ground

if I answered your last part of your post properly i would get done, just have to laugh at the Irony

jeez I'm over an hour late for a promise I made to change my online sig

I might have missed that, all I saw was Mitch claiming to be surprised by me

Oh right, I honestly don't know what you are getting at, and I think the Irony is more on the man who vowed to keep his sig detailing the goal tallies of Michael Owen Versus Teves for the year, that sure didn't last long.

Are we done now? so can we get back to the thread? -I'm sure no-one has any interest in our egocentric squabbles

jeez I'm over an hour late for a promise I made to change my online sig

I might have missed that, all I saw was Mitch claiming to be surprised by me

Oh right, I honestly don't know what you are getting at, and I think the Irony is more on the man who vowed to keep his sig detailing the goal tallies of Michael Owen Versus Teves for the year, that sure didn't last long.

Are we done now? so can we get back to the thread? -I'm sure no-one has any interest in our egocentric squabbles

i still see your sig, its amazing how somthing can be changed so quickly :rolleyes:

in your sig is a picture of a man who's ruining my club, so why did you make a sig like that ? was it to get 1 up on utd fans or something ? ****ing classless like your captain

and you regard my last sig, the funny thing thats where the irony also comes in

i still see your sig, its amazing how somthing can be changed so quickly :rolleyes:

in your sig is a picture of a man who's ruining my club, so why did you make a sig like that ? was it to get 1 up on utd fans or something ? ****ing classles like your captain

and you regard my last sig, the funny thing thats where the irony also comes in

you keep mentioning all these instances of irony that you are not willing to quantify, it makes it hard to respond.

You say John Terry is classless why? why is that relevant, do you think that Ferguson, Neville, Evra etc have class? or Ferdinand the now English captain?

I don't think Ballack or Lampard or Cashley have class, players like Frando di Santo/ Crespo may but in honesty I have no interest either way, I do not follow soccer in the hope that I can align myself to a team of moral legionaires if I did I would probably become a sufjan stevens fanboy, oh wait I may be digging a whole for myself here.

My point is class is irelevant and I don't see why you have mentioned it nor how a United fan believes they are an authority on it

Your insistance that I take it down is annoying me and I will probably change it soon enough but I no longer want to take it down right now, if that means I have gone back on my word in an internet discussion forum then so be it.

his sig may go, but what he is wont be forgotten anyway

i cant understand fans who hate someone elses team more then they love their own, i mean what the hell did they get involved with football for in the first place?

sad

i dont expect to see Anderson tomorrow, come to think of it i dont expect to see him for a while if what the papers were saying is true

Fergie has a long memory when it comes to grudges!

any news on Raf? is he still a big doubt? wouldnt mind seeing Brown play at right back to see if he still remembers how to play that one, cause he has most definitely forgotten how to play cb

, if that means I have gone back on my word in an internet discussion forum then so be it.

christ another one, you and spiritoftheseventies, or bayviewclose as he is commonly known, would get along well

kryogen wrote: »
    his sig may go, but what he is wont be forgotten anyway

i cant understand fans who hate someone elses team more then they love their own, i mean what the hell did they get involved with football for in the first place?

sad

Cheers I love these little digs at my character from ye two, they are heartwarming

I don't hate United more than I love Chelsea.

It might have something to do with growing up supporting Unites as a kid, going to the theatre of Dreams as a 13 year old was pretty special,
    when I was about 15/16 events at the club and by the supporters just really turned me off and I was left in a vacant hole, then I began to garnish an interest in Chelsea, not typical I know and yeah you can hooliganise me all you want for deflecting sides or whatever but it was a natural process for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I can't see sigs at all. Who's in yer man's sig thats ruining United? Anderson? Nani? Tevez?

I don't hate United more than I love Chelsea.

It might have something to do with growing up supporting Unites as a kid, going to the theatre of Dreams as a 13 year old was pretty special,
    when I was about 15/16 events at the club and by the supporters just really turned me off and I was left in a vacant hole, then I began to garnish an interest in Chelsea, not typical I know and yeah you can hooliganise me all you want for deflecting sides or whatever but it was a natural process for me.

i call bs on the last paragraph pal

hmm I wont be home until next weekend but could scan and email you a few photos of me in Old Trafford if that would help?

of course you could argue I was forced into the United Jersey, I had a Ferguson signed match programme but I may have thrown that out

flahavaj wrote: »
    I can't see sigs at all. Who's in yer man's sig thats ruining United? Anderson? Nani? Tevez?

Rooney :eek: scousers eh

hmm I wont be home until next weekend but could scan and email you a few photos of me in Old Trafford if that would help?

of course you could argue I was forced into the United Jersey, I had a Ferguson signed match programme but I may have thrown that out

no thanks pal

apologies to everyone for being part of he derailing!

back on topic now from me anyway i promise!

i like Avram Grant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ShoulderChip also has been disappointingly poor in this thread. Normally quite decent but these last few posts have been a shocking loss of form.
    Rooney :eek: scousers eh

Would make sense alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's annoying having to wade through the constant shoulderchip/head shot/kryogen arguments.

Can't we set up a thread just for them to argue?

EDIT: Just seen kryogen's apology...

Anyway, I'm fairly confident we'll take all three points and will revert back to the 4 4 2 tomorrow.

i like Avram Grant

How could you not

Grant_54238e.jpg

I love the way that OK at Chelsea it was one thing but his comedic appearance and facial gestures just make him look way out of place even at Portsmouth

Stats suggest he was very unlucky to get fired at Chelsea, but I am glad he did.

I really don't hold too much hope for Portsmouth this year and after a couple of promising displays (where they still lost) their hearts may not be able to handle the fight necessary to gain any points tomorrow (today as headshot would insist)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

:confused:

But that was probably around the same time a russian took over. As good a reason as any to switch teams.

na Portsmouth are sunk imo, 4 owners in 6 months and constant player wage delays and sales are not a good recipe

na Portsmouth are sunk imo, 4 owners in 6 months and constant player wage delays and sales are not a good recipe

Did you hear the quotes from the current owner - that as far as he is concerned he has just confiscated the shares and therefore ownership and he knows nothing about football - not a good omen alright

:confused:

But that was probably around the same time a russian took over. As good a reason as any to switch teams.

i was thinking that was probably it alright, just didnt wanna get into it!

Did you hear the quotes from the current owner - that as far as he is concerned he has just confiscated the shares and therefore ownership and he knows nothing about football - not a good omen alright

aye, he just wants to get his money back and get out by the looks of it

aye, he just wants to get his money back and get out by the looks of it

I thought we weren't taking about my sig:D:D:D

Gotta admit that was funny ;)

- yes only got into Chelsea when the money came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I thought we weren't taking about my sig:D:D:D

Gotta admit that was funny ;)

- yes only got into Chelsea when the money came in

Seriously, your wind up attempts are pathetic.

You know when you said you stopped supporting United at 13.. was that last week or something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement