Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class sizes.

Options
  • 05-02-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I was wondering what everyone's smallest and largest class sizes are.
    My smallest is Economics there's only 11 of us,it's a great class we get so much covered.
    Largest is French with 29 it's a balls as the teacher cannot do oral work during class due to how time consuming it is.

I remember at the start of 2nd year there was 38 in my honours maths class,by the time the JC came round there was 18.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

As far as I remember, all my classes were big, especially at the start. There were around 25 in all my classes. Though in music there were only 20 I think...

Irish, English, Maths, French, Geography and Physics were all really full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think there's only 6 or 7 in our honours maths class, and about the same as physics. Both classes are quite medicre, as in, I can see atleast 3 in the maths to drop to pass, and some aren't suited to physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My English class was the smallest, only 4 of us :D

Bio was huge, 26 I think which was the lab's capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

in my 1st year teaching i had two students for hl lc maths. ended up with just the one for lc exam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Biggest is French about 29 people but we get a lot covered I have to say.

Smallest is probably Engineering, only 10 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

doc_17 wrote: »
    in my 1st year teaching i had two students for hl lc maths. ended up with just the one for lc exam

Tbh,that's disgraceful 1 student sitting the LC higher level exam,was that for the entire school?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I'd love that!!!imagine how good you'd be at maths if you basicly had one on one maths grinds everyday.....A1 no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

There's 8 in our Chemistry class, though, two don't really participate..so we usually count it 6 :rolleyes:

Start of 5th year Maths and Irish were both over capacity...big change since then though! Can't think of any of my classes that are full, big Biology class though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Honours maths has only 9 in the class, will probably drop down to about 6 or 7 after the mocks. Chemistry has 10 people in class. The biggest I think is geography which is well over 22 anyway!
    Last year my ordinary irish class had only about 10 in the class, but this year they have merged two classes (costcutting:() and its now more like 18 (ish), I was flying it last year because of such a small class.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

my smallest class is 17- we get nothing done
    its the class full of messers.

my english class has 32. and thats probably one class we get the most done in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I love the lack of standards in my school :D makes for more learning

Maths-3
    French-4
    English-10
    Technology-8

the others are normal sizes,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Jay P wrote: »
    As far as I remember, all my classes were big, especially at the start. There were around 25 in all my classes. Though in music there were only 20 I think...

Irish, English, Maths, French, Geography and Physics were all really full.

Last year in my school only 9 out of 200 students did Physics for the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Well last year smallest was physics, only two of us. (The joys of an all girls' school,I guess.) My biggest was 18 in French. I did a lot of minority subjects, there were 11 in chemistry, 6 in economics, 8 in honours maths, 12 in English and 13 in Irish.

Now that I'm repeating in an all boys' school it's an entirely different story.
    5 of us in chemistry but apart from that, every other class is huge. Even honours maths has 14 people. 20-something people for everything else,although I think a lot of people are dropping honours Irish after the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

There's two honours maths classes in my school! Two! I'm in neither though :D.

The biggest class I'm in is french I think but I'm doing ordinary so it's not too bad. The smallest I think is Chemistry with 13 I think. Our classes are pretty full though =/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 knwaca

The smallest is 9 in our honours maths class out of 110 people, and the biggest is 35 in our english class.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Well last year smallest was physics, only two of us. (The joys of an all girls' school,I guess.) My biggest was 18 in French. I did a lot of minority subjects, there were 11 in chemistry, 6 in economics, 8 in honours maths, 12 in English and 13 in Irish.

Now that I'm repeating in an all boys' school it's an entirely different story.
    5 of us in chemistry but apart from that, every other class is huge. Even honours maths has 14 people. 20-something people for everything else,although I think a lot of people are dropping honours Irish after the mocks.

Are you the only girl in the school??? :confused::eek:
    Like I'm in a lads school and I'd say if a girl decided to repeat in it she wouldn't be able to cope with the slagging she would get!!!!
    Fair play though if u are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Some classes here are really small, i've always had 30+ in a class except for fourth year. In my honours maths at the start of the year there was 42 people but now there's only 19. I'd say that was my smallest atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

There were 6-8 people in my Maths, Chemistry and Music classes last year. Nice feeling of camaraderie in those classes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

I'm teacher in an all boys' school and a few years back I had 32 in my German class, they were all very good though so we got a lot done, this year in my ordinary level French class there are 7 students but they are very weak and a few messers so we're moving at a snail's pace. It all depends on the work ethic of the boys in the class in my experience. Even if you have a few messers mixed in with the strong ones who want to work they aren't given the opportunity to mess because the ones who want to learn will soon put a stop to it lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

History and geography are my smallest as there only ten

Irish is pretty big and so is biology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Well I've 4 in japanese and 27 in english. Quite a huge range there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kikoo

1 person in the R.E and 43 in geography

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

All my classes are fairly small.

French, Geography, Physics would only have about 12

Music Irish and English about 20.
    Music teacher likes to claim we're one of the biggest music classes in the country though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

lc2010 wrote: »
    Are you the only girl in the school??? :confused::eek:
    Like I'm in a lads school and I'd say if a girl decided to repeat in it she wouldn't be able to cope with the slagging she would get!!!!
    Fair play though if u are!!

There are 6 of us. :) Ah it's grand, was terrible for the first while though to be honest. Most of the other girls are nice and I've settled in more now. Plus,I generally tend to prefer boys to girls for talking to; I think they're easier to talk to. It's hard,I'm not going to deny that,but if I get my points it'll be more than worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

well theres like 8 in my physics, 10 in my french, 14 in maths, same in irish, 9 in accounting, 11 in economics and my only biggun is english but thats only like 22 or something. smallest class in my year is the ordianry spanish class, theres just two of em

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Smallest would be physics, there's 9 of us.
    I'm in top honours maths and it's pretty packed. Like every single desk is taken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

There's barely 5 in my construction it's great, no waiting for tools an you have two benches to yourself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

There's 7 in my French class, 12 in Physics but 2 are Spanish students, so 10, and 3 who do no work and just sit at the back, so 7 really. About 12 in History and Irish.15 in Honours maths, but about 10 will drop, I'm in 5th year at the moment and I can see about 10 people dropping. Biggest class is Business or Honours English, about 20-25 in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

There's about 10-12 in my Chemistry, Physics, Technical Graphics and French classes. About 15 in Higher Maths, about 20 in higher English and a whopping 7 in Higher Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

darragh-k wrote: »
    There's barely 5 in my construction it's great, no waiting for tools an you have two benches to yourself:)

I hate you lol, there are about 24 in my class, so 2 per bench And i'm doing a model so i need 5x15xLength pieces cut by the teacher, could wait up to 40 mins to get something cut on the saw =/

Advertisement