Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small gaming Pc

Options
  • 06-02-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'd like to build a Pc for playing modern games. The only thing is I'm limited on space and need something smaller than the usual size cases and motherboards. I've done a bit of looking but can't find too much info. I've a budget of e1200 but can stretch if I need to. Any info would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How limited on space are you? This will determine what you can do. As long as you aren't too limited you could still get a very good gaming setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sgull

About 40cm in any direction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

€1200? Does that include the need for OS/monitors/peripherals? :confused:

Ignoring all that here's a basic provisional build for €835:

HWVS060210.png

CPU and mobo are probably among your best choices for this build. RAM is decent enough too. Graphics card was left basic, if you want a HD5850 then expect to pay a lot more, and on another website as HWVS don't seem to stock them anymore... for a hardcore gaming rig get either a HD5850 or two HD5770s in CF. Either way get the cheapest model with the full 1GB memory, unless you see an Asus fairly cheap. Good OCing parts especially designed for overvolting (and Asus give limited overvolting support in the warranty). I deliberately went for an overcapacity modular PSU given the very close confines.

Now the case is flippin' tiny, even for mATX (a lot of mATX cases aren't that small at all and usually exceed 400mm a fair bit in at least one dimension), but its quite powerful. Two 120mm front fans with the possibility of a dual-120 radiator or a fan and a single radiator... I doubt you want rig-wide watercooling (even though its very doable in the SG03) but there's one place water can come in handy... See the reason the case is so small? The PSU mounts across the mobo, leaving little clearance over the CPU and no chance for fitting even a small tower heatsink. Given the Intel stock HSF is naff I've thrown in a Big Shruiken which will fit easily, but isn't meant to support a 150W+ CPU. Stock and light OCing are fine, but if you want to start pushing the i5-750 well past 3GHz you might need to spend money on something a bit more... robust. You might be able to attach a more powerful full-height fan on the cooler to boost it a bit but a better idea may be to leave out the cooler and 120mm case fan I have up there and grab a small CPU watercooler like the Corsair H50 ;) Pricey but in these close confines it may be worth it!

EDIT: Arse, clicked on the wrong graphics card! I meant the 1GB version of same card, about €5 more expensive. 512MB is a bit thin for any modern gaming rig trying to drive a Full HD (1080p) monitor, otherwise I'd have selected the Asus there (the full version of the Asus HD5770 is a hefty €150 and like the HD58*0s HWVS don't seem to stock them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Lovely case, light as hell and looks great in white (make sure you get a silver DVD writer if you get the case in white otherwise will look naff)

Aircooling and size isn't wonderful, will suit an i5 750 chip and ATI 5770, anything bigger or if you are overclocking then perhaps check out the lanboxes or a bigger mATX case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sgull

That about answers it!! The only thing is what shop is that from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Just a quick question about Hardwareversand.

1. They do not take paypal or any type of master card?
    2. What is their shipping cost to ireland for one item?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Just a quick question about Hardwareversand.

1. They do not take paypal or any type of master card?
    2. What is their shipping cost to ireland for one item?

They do bank transfer only, it takes a few extra days for the first transaction to go through, after that it can be transfered online and is instant and painless. Their shipping is €30 per order

Advertisement