Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my career guidance councillor broke my heart :(

Options
  • 06-02-2010 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

she told me there was no way I could ever do speech and language therapy, i asked was there a roundabout way of doing it, she said absoltuly not. Heartbroken :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If you really have your heart set on it you should carry on trying.

Did she give a reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bassy1

Sounds like a great counsellor. NOT! Idiot! When I was in school our counsellor was great, would go to the ends of the earth for all of us. Thats what they should all be like. Its not like they have anything better to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

i wont get the points, which in fairness shes probably right, i only have 5 honours! But not even a bit of encouragement, her exact words where "speech therapy is like medicine, theres no roundabout way to it" Last time I checked, there were roundabout ways into medicine. SHe then told me to do Pre-Arts in Dunboyne :rolleyes: Now, im not the brightest crayola in the art room, but im in no way thick. Everyone Ive spoken to bar one told me she told them to do a PLC.

:eek: That's a terrible attitude!

Have you considered entering as a mature student, or doing it as a masters?

This could be an option

There are always ways, don't mind her.

RE the PLC thing, I had a similar councellor. She basically told 80% of people to do childcare of beauty therapy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

There's always a roundabout way! Try and look up any way possible into the course, and maybe e-mail or phone the colleges?
    My career guidence teacher isn't great either. Gave out to me for thinking I could do three sciences. 'Er..but I'm not into business miss..' her response was much along the lines of how could I really know... :rolleyes: Glad to say I don't have careers meeting's this year thanks to sorting out my CAO before she got round to us!
    But really, look up the colleges and give them a ring. You might have to spend a few extra years in college, but there's always a way into it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

The CG counsellor in my school is a joke,his office has stacks of random papers all over the place,he advised my brother not to bother taking a science subject as most Uni's and IT's wouldn't require it,this led to my brother having to take up biology at Christmas in 6th year in order to get the course he wanted.

I don't mind the lack of a CG counsellor as I have brothers and sisters who have bben to college but for others it must be a real annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

IronGirl92 wrote: »
    There's always a roundabout way!
    Was just about to say, even in medicine there's a roundabout way in. The only drawback is obviously it's longer and more awkward, but where there's a will, there's a way. Work hard, and you can do anything, if you really want it. Don't be put down by your guidance councillor, infact, if your doing your LC this year and have just filled out the CAO, that's a pretty insensitive and retarded thing to say.

If you want it that bad, push yourself and get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How are your grades?

I would probably be on her side if you were failing all 7 subjects at ordinary level (Have a few of them at my school :eek:) but you did say you're doing 5 honours so you can't be that bad.

The points are circa 500 yeah?

With 5 honours and 1 ordinary you would probably need to be sitting on 510-520 points for comfort.

You definitley need to get atleast an A2 in your Ordinary subject to have any chance unless you get all A1/A2s in your 5 higher subjects.

Have you considering taking up something like HL biology? It shouldn't be impossible to get a C2 or C1 if you work very hard the next 4 months. That would score you more points than an A1 at Ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

how about a BA in linguistics and psychology from UCD? 360 points usually. Do a postgrad then in speech therapy. Your 'guidance' teacher is an idiot.

in UCD then you could take modules (10 credits per year i think) in anatomy/physiology as part of their horizon programme

failing all 7 subjects at ordinary

:eek: How is that even possible?!!

• Advertisement

this is why i love u guys :) Thanks so much :)

awh this ones unreal
    Some of her classic lines:

Friend: I did my CAO, all business courses.
    G.C: Ok, well i do think ur a bit young for college, ur only 16. Would u be interested in doing a PLC, just so ur that bit older?
    Friend: I was thinking the same to be honest!
    G.C: OH I KNOW THE PERFECT PLC FOR YOU!
    *pause*
    G.C: BEAUTY!
    Friend: But i want to do business Miss.:confused:
    G.C: well its beauty and business then!

Another one..

Friend: Im doing a course for a year to build up my portfolio
    G.C: I thought u were interested in NCAD?
    Friend: I was, but u didnt tell me I had to have a portfolio submitted so I cant apply!
    G.C: Well, to be honest, the reason I didnt tell you is because you're really not that good at art, not up to the standard of NCAD, Ms. X showed me some of ur work, not great at all.
    Friend: Ms. Y is my art teacher.
    *que my friend storming out the door*

Or this haha...

G.C: So, what do u want to do in college?
    F: I really dont know, I did a CAO and everything, but Im after applying to do a make up course for the year, just so im more sure of what I want to do!
    G.C: I wouldnt recommend that at all, u cant make a career out of a make up course
    F: Well, its not a career, its so I can have extra time to think about what I want to do in college
    G.C: But MAKEUP?! No, NO, I think you should just stay at home for the year.
    hahahahaha

or my personal favourite:

F: I applied to go to college in England to do PE teaching!
    G.C: Oh, your very young
    F: Im not doing a PLC!
    G.C: Well then let me suggest doing it over here
    F: I wont get the points, Im not even doing enough honours subjects!
    G.C: Well, you see, you've red hair, the minute u get off that plane there going to know that ur Irish, and the English are vicious when it comes to us, they'll give you an awful time, Very vicious people the english, very vicious, you wont last a day.
    F: I am english.

hahahhahahaha

and i swear to god, not a word of it is a lie, the womans a joke!

G.C: Well, you see, you're ginger, the minute u get off that plane there going to know that ur Irish, and the English are vicious when it comes to us, they'll give you an awful time, Very vicious people the english, very vicious, you wont last a day.
    F: I am english.
    :D

:D Sounds alot like what our one was like!
    That and ANY question asked would be responded to with 'QUALIFAX.IE I CAN'T DO ALL THE WORK FOR YE!!'

Our school got new computers at the start of the year, ''these are worth more than your lives..'' cheers for that.. Ahh she's a tool..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

We have a few of these in my school as well i.e no interest in school whatsoever,hardly in class never do homework e.t.c

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

If I've learned 1 thing from school, that's don't listen to Career Guidance teachers. They all think that the only way into these courses is by doing a degree straight away. With most things there is a way of getting into them. There are PLC courses for a lot of stuff, and if you wait until you're 23 then you can do whatever you like anyway. My career guidance teacher is an idiot, she just tells everyone to do pharmacist stuff or to be a doctor or a nurse. Very very close minded.

pathway33 wrote: »
    how about a BA in linguistics and psychology from UCD? 360 points usually. Do a postgrad then in speech therapy. Your 'guidance' teacher is an idiot.

in UCD then you could take modules (10 credits per year i think) in anatomy/physiology as part of their horizon programme

i dont understand how boardsies now information like this^ and this woman tells my friend not to go to england because she has red hair? seriously like. thanks a mill guys u realy cheered me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

No, NO, I think you should just stay at home for the year.

:D:confused::eek:

I suppose..I just can't understand people like that though, who seem to have zero ambition in life and just want to plod along through life..

How are your grades?

I would probably be on her side if you were failing all 7 subjects at ordinary level (Have a few of them at my school :eek:) but you did say you're doing 5 honours so you can't be that bad.

The points are circa 500 yeah?

With 5 honours and 1 ordinary you would probably need to be sitting on 510-520 points for comfort.

You definitley need to get atleast an A2 in your Ordinary subject to have any chance unless you get all A1/A2s in your 5 higher subjects.

Have you considering taking up something like HL biology? It shouldn't be impossible to get a C2 or C1 if you work very hard the next 4 months. That would score you more points than an A1 at Ordinary level.

the grades are ok, above average i guess, but i can push em up, defo. Just not having anything to work towards gave me no motivation whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

I forgot to mention the career guidance teacher in my school is totally against PLCs, she hates the idea of someone leaving school and not doing sometihng involving medicine or Arts or teaching or something like that.

• Advertisement

Pretty easy...

Taking days off when you feel like it
    Never bothering to do homework
    Constantly messing around
    Skipping classes and mitching
    Laziness

It really isn't that hard. About 10 people in my year got 0 points in their Christmas exams. It's a bit of a joke tbh, if you can't be bothered to work a tiny bit then you shouldn't be allowed take up a space in school.

Yep I know of a guy that came out of the leaving cert with something like 35 points due to sheer laziness

Agree with the idea that they shouldn't be aloud take up space!
    Have to say I must be lucky though, only have two classes where people like that are a problem.
    Chemistry; This really annoying polish guy who refuses to do anything in any subject. Likes to mutter away to himself alot aswel..
    Irish; Have about 8 people in the class that are exempt that study at the back of the room, all they do is talk though :mad: Rage.
    Maybe I'm just a bit simple thinking that everyone should want an actual job after school :rolleyes:

yeh i know a girl who came out with 85. and to be honest she didnt even deserve that, bit of a muppet in all aspects of the word

Agree with the idea that they shouldn't be aloud take up space!
    Have to say I must be lucky though, only have two classes where people like that are a problem.
    Chemistry; This really annoying polish guy who refuses to do anything in any subject. Likes to mutter away to himself alot aswel..
    Irish; Have about 8 people in the class that are exempt that study at the back of the room, all they do is talk though :mad: Rage.
    Maybe I'm just a bit simple thinking that everyone should want an actual job after school :rolleyes:

maybe u should be a guidance councillor :D

maybe u should be a guidance councillor :D

Lol have actually been told that before! :rolleyes:
    Nawh, Dublin and Science are my calling. :o

Lol have actually been told that before! :rolleyes:
    Nawh, Dublin and Science are my calling. :o
    The science of guidance counselling? :D

The science of guidance counselling? :D

:cool: Maaaaybe.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Career Guidence Counsellors are just there for peace of mind most of the time imo. A lot of the time they don't know what they're talking about..
    A Career Guidence Counsellor suggested my cousin doing his 4th year of business should be a fish trawler.. mind she was getting a bit old and retired soon after that..

• Advertisement

With all respect, anyone who can't be bothered even trying to get 100 points in their LC shouldn't have even bothered continuing after the JC. Fair enough if you tried and did your best but tbh most of the people who get less than 100 points in their LC are just too damn lazy.

Advertisement