Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my career guidance councillor broke my heart :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

this is why i love u guys :) Thanks so much :)

awh this ones unreal
    Some of her classic lines:

Friend: I did my CAO, all business courses.
    G.C: Ok, well i do think ur a bit young for college, ur only 16. Would u be interested in doing a PLC, just so ur that bit older?
    Friend: I was thinking the same to be honest!
    G.C: OH I KNOW THE PERFECT PLC FOR YOU!
    *pause*
    G.C: BEAUTY!
    Friend: But i want to do business Miss.:confused:
    G.C: well its beauty and business then!

Another one..

Friend: Im doing a course for a year to build up my portfolio
    G.C: I thought u were interested in NCAD?
    Friend: I was, but u didnt tell me I had to have a portfolio submitted so I cant apply!
    G.C: Well, to be honest, the reason I didnt tell you is because you're really not that good at art, not up to the standard of NCAD, Ms. X showed me some of ur work, not great at all.
    Friend: Ms. Y is my art teacher.
    *que my friend storming out the door*

Or this haha...

G.C: So, what do u want to do in college?
    F: I really dont know, I did a CAO and everything, but Im after applying to do a make up course for the year, just so im more sure of what I want to do!
    G.C: I wouldnt recommend that at all, u cant make a career out of a make up course
    F: Well, its not a career, its so I can have extra time to think about what I want to do in college
    G.C: But MAKEUP?! No, NO, I think you should just stay at home for the year.
    hahahahaha

or my personal favourite:

F: I applied to go to college in England to do PE teaching!
    G.C: Oh, your very young
    F: Im not doing a PLC!
    G.C: Well then let me suggest doing it over here
    F: I wont get the points, Im not even doing enough honours subjects!
    G.C: Well, you see, you've red hair, the minute u get off that plane there going to know that ur Irish, and the English are vicious when it comes to us, they'll give you an awful time, Very vicious people the english, very vicious, you wont last a day.
    F: I am english.

hahahhahahaha

and i swear to god, not a word of it is a lie, the womans a joke!

Its post like this that make staying up at night surfing boards worth it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

My god this is Awful! I think with career guidance teachers you should Only see them if you know Exactly what you want. I had to go to one because I was considering apply to UCAS so I literally just went in, got the ucas map and said I wanted to do animation in the greater london nowhere outside it and MUST be hand-drawing, not computer animation. She couldn't steer her way out of it.
    Though I swear if one more person says 'Tipperary Institute?' to me I'm going to scream!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

With all respect, anyone who can't be bothered even trying to get 100 points in their LC shouldn't have even bothered continuing after the JC. Fair enough if you tried and did your best but tbh most of the people who get less than 100 points in their LC are just too damn lazy.

Nice sweeping statement there - have you considered Career Guidance?:)
    paddykell wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the career guidance teacher in my school is totally against PLCs, she hates the idea of someone leaving school and not doing sometihng involving medicine or Arts or teaching or something like that.

Theres a lot of snobbery in Irish education.
    The VEC isn't good enough for some people at twelve but they fall over each other to get on a VEC course at 18.
    Most people who are against PLCs have no idea what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Theres a roundabout way around everything, so dont worry. My career guidance teacher shot down all of my suggestions (''sure theres no jobs anyway''), its what they do. :( go for what you want to do, and dont listen to every word your c.g says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I think every career guidance counselor is a disaster. Ours is, anyway.
    Brought all of 6th year into a classroom 2 weeks before Higher Options to talk to us. Basically, she kept spouting lies until practically everyone left the room.
    "Higher Options is just for British universities, there will be NO Irish colleges/universities there"
    "Not a single student from this school has gone to a British university in the last 10 years. You're NOT going to Britain, lads. You're NOT!"
    etc. etc.
    By now, half the class had walked out. At this stage, she started going through each student, one by one, in front of everyone
    "James, what are you interested in going for? You're definetily not going to be going to university"
    "Darren, you're not allowed go. You're a bad student"
    "Emmet, you're a great student, you're allowed go"

By now, most of the class had stormed out in disgust. I think 6 people went in the end

Wow, I never knew career guidance was this bad elsewhere! Mine is great, really knows her stuff...

'Your not allowed to go, you're a bad student?'

That's retarded..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

With all respect, anyone who can't be bothered even trying to get 100 points in their LC shouldn't have even bothered continuing after the JC. Fair enough if you tried and did your best but tbh most of the people who get less than 100 points in their LC are just too damn lazy.

LC is bad enough. We had a guy in our degree course and for every single exam, he'd write for about ten minutes and then go to sleep. Actual drooling, twitching sleep.

And yet, year after year, he stayed with us. Never failing.

Some people have the knack of scraping by with the skin of their teeth to a fine art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Your guidance councellor told you that? Bloody hell! Have your parents report them to your principal and tell your mates to do likewise if they have similar experiences.

Thats downright out of order. Their job is not to tell you what you can and cant do! Thats ridiculous. How the hell are they going to know what you will be good at or more importantly what you will LIKE doing? Their job is to be there as a point of reference to whom you take your questions. They are meant to advise you on ALL the options and research courses on your behalf!!!!
    This sounds like a classic example of some aul biddy on a power trip who probably has kids around the Leaving Cert age all stuck in grind schools 24-7 and going for the 600 pointer courses!

My advise? Dont go to her again!
    yes getting 500 or more points isnt the easiest thing in the world to do and for Speech Therapy, it is a popular and very much sought after course. BUT!!!! If thats what you really want to do, and you feel is the career thats most appealing to you... by all means... you work ur butt off to get those points! 5 higher subjects and then ordinary levels is not reason to think you cant attain those grades...
    And if you dont get a place this year... its not the end of the road... not by a long shot!

You can...
    1. Reapeat your leaving next year and drop the long demanding courses like Irish and English that would require so much work on your part to catch up. Unless of course you love these and are getting A1's in them. You would only have to do 6 subjects so assuming you can keep your current higher levels, either take a new one up or else try see if you can upgrade your strongest ordinary to a higher level paper. Subjects like Geography, Chemistry, even History are totally manageable to pick up and complete in one year if you really focus on them and work at them.

2. Apply to do it in the UK. If you havent applied for this year, then you would be looking at applying for next year, so that would mean you could take a year out to try get some real experience in the field. With that experience, even if you decide to take another degree, you could always go back in later years and have that experience on your application to apply as a mature student.

So bandage up your broken heart, weigh up your options here and do your best. Never let go of your dreams however impossible they seem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

or my personal favourite:

F: I applied to go to college in England to do PE teaching!
    G.C: Oh, your very young
    F: Im not doing a PLC!
    G.C: Well then let me suggest doing it over here
    F: I wont get the points, Im not even doing enough honours subjects!
    G.C: Well, you see, you've red hair, the minute u get off that plane there going to know that ur Irish, and the English are vicious when it comes to us, they'll give you an awful time, Very vicious people the english, very vicious, you wont last a day.
    F: I am english.

hahahhahahaha

and i swear to god, not a word of it is a lie, the womans a joke!

That last one can't be true. Surely no teacher would be that thick to say something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

kev9100 wrote: »
    That last one can't be true. Surely no teacher would be that thick to say something like that?

I can give u some telephone numbers if ud like to clarify lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

felic wrote: »
    Subjects like Geography, Chemistry, even History are totally manageable to pick up and complete in one year if you really focus on them and work at them.
    I wouldn't be advising people to take up chemistry in a year, unless they need it as a requirement. It's one of the tougher courses on the leaving cert, very hard to get an A1 in.
    Courses like geography, business and or lesser extent biology are much better choices for picking up in a year.

Hardest subjects to get an A1 in? Are you kidding me? Have you looked at the 2009 paper? Its a joke. Now if it were the same exams that were being given 10 years ago or earlier, I would fully agree with you. But the Higher Level paper now is on par with the Ordinary paper back then.

Ok, speaking as someone who did Chemistry at uni, its easy for me to say this, but really... it is very doable in a year. A lot more doable than say for example the Irish Higher Level course or the English one.

Lol never ever do chemistry. Worst subject choice ever :L.

Also I really can't believe a woman would actually say english people are vicious =/. Especially towards the irish, as well as going by such a retarded stereotype of 'red hair'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Lawliet wrote: »
    I wouldn't be advising people to take up chemistry in a year, unless they need it as a requirement. It's one of the tougher courses on the leaving cert, very hard to get an A1 in.
    Courses like geography, business and or lesser extent biology are much better choices for picking up in a year.

Huh? An A1 in chemistry is very doable, something like 15% get one. Not really much to the course once you get the basic concepts. A lot of the course can be left out as well as they are very rarely examined.

Is Chemistry really this unpopular? Wow! I understand why people might not like it but honestly... if you grasp whats actually happening, its really one of the EASIEST subjects and shortest too on the LC course!!! Maybe its unpopularity is why the exam has been dumbed down so much. Oh well...

And yeah.. that woman with the comment on the red hair has issues! She should be seeing a counsellor for that, not giving counsel herself!!! Nutcase!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

OP, while your Guidance Counsellor (why can nobody spell today?) sounds like a bit of a nutter, she has a point in telling you straight that your chances of getting into Speech & Language therapy are slim. There are too many counsellors (and parents) out there who urge students to go follow their dreams, regardless of (or in spite of) the student's ability to either get into or complete the course.

Sometimes a reality shock is no harm. She has completely shot down option one for you, so now you know that you can concentrate on alternative ways around it (even though she should be the one recommending the alternatives). Have you looked at the course content? It may be your dream job but do you think you would be able for the various modules if you did get in?

She may have broken your heart, but in a way, she has probably done you a favour. Get cracking on researching the alternatives if this is truly what you want to do and have a plan B ready in case it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

IronGirl92 wrote: »
    :eek: How is that even possible?!!

There are about 20 in my year doing so. Don't even ask me how they manage. Think spending everyday out on the streets might be a cause though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hi OP sorry to hear about your experience with your guidance counsellor.

Whatever she says I'd try and talk to some speech therapists and get their views. Maybe google to see if there are any speech therapists forums and ask advice. I found one here, but you can always look for more.

As someone already said, there are always ways around it. It might take you longer, but you can still get there if you are really set on it. Work hard and give the leaving your best shot. Try using learning techniques like mindmaps, they really helped me in college and I'd love to have known about them when I did the leaving.

Even if you don't get the right points in the leaving, there is the option of repeating or of going to college as a mature student i.e. 23 years of age or more. Colleges are encouraged to keep a number of places for mature students each year and the entry requirements aren't so points based. But if you had shown a strong interest and experience in a related area that would stand to you.

Now it may be that your guidance counsellor is correct and speech and language therapy isn't for you, and if that's the case then it's no bad thing. At least you know now before investing a lot of time and effort into getting there and finding out that you aren't as into it as you thought you were. I take it that you weren't given any aptitude tests or anything like that? If you were, then that would point to where your strengths lie. If you weren't then a good book to get is called What Colour Is Your Parachute by a guy called Richard Boles. It's primarily aimed at jobseekers but there are sections that test your strengths and weaknesses and can help you in your career choices. Check if your local library has a copy. If they have, get it out immediately, if not spend 50c and reserve a copy, they'll let you know when it's reserved and will keep it for you.

Just remember that whatever you do now doesn't define the rest of your life. It might seem like that now, and loads of people will be leading you to believe it, but it's not true. If that was the case why do so many people change careers?

You may have guessed that this information isn't specific to speech therapy, it's the kind of thing that can be used for whatever courses people choose. Basically, it's what I'd expect a career guidance counsellor to do! :rolleyes:

Anyway, whatever you choose. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Huh? An A1 in chemistry is very doable, something like 15% get one. Not really much to the course once you get the basic concepts. A lot of the course can be left out as well as they are very rarely examined.
    A1 in science subjects are quite decieving actually, for example in physics. It's not that the exam is easier, it's merely because the type of people who take on physics or chemistry HL probably need very high grades for whatever course they want, and therefore are aiming for the A1.

Students picking subjects be under no illusion, they're not easy, but if you like science, they're very interesting and rewarding.

I was kinda worried going into chemistry, but then I fell in love with it. It's challenging but interesting and quite rewarding when you understand it.

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Lol never ever do chemistry. Worst subject choice ever :L.

I disagree. Chemistry is so easy, if you like it. It wasnt even my first choice (i wanted physics but my school doesnt do it) but i grew to love it. If you work at understanding it, instead of learning it by heart, you'd find it way easier. :)

I disagree, no one in our school got an A1 last year. And it's not because the teacher was useless or the class was full of morons.
    Most leaving cert subjects are pretty simple, like biology, even if you don't understand what's going on you can get a good grade by just learning it all off. Chemistry requires you to actually understand what your talking about, which is the part most people struggle with. So unless a person is very scientific minded I wouldn't advise them to take up chemistry in a year.

A lot of stuff in chemistry is related. Topics tend to overlap and flow into each other.. Like bonding and electron behaviour. I have the 2009 paper here in front of me and there is not one single question that is majorly challenging. Before, they used differentiate out the A1 students by throwing in real spanners into the questions, stuff that wasnt even on the syllabus and required you to make an educated guess at to what would happen. Thats not there anymore.
    Lots of definitions and theory's to learn off and away you go with a good C. A little more effort and undertstanding, thanks very much, theres a B. Understanding whats actually going on and being able to do the calculations, theres your A.

Seriously, its not difficult! 8 questions out of 11, 3 on experiments? Come off it!

felic wrote: »
    Seriously, its not difficult! 8 questions out of 11, 3 on experiments? Come off it!
    It's not difficult for you maybe, but everyone is different and some people struggle with a lot of what's on the course. Anyway my point is that there is a lot of subjects with are much easier to pick up in a year.

If you want a difficult subject, try home ec: social and scientific. Now THATS tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Lawliet wrote: »
    It's not difficult for you maybe, but everyone is different and some people struggle with a lot of what's on the course. Anyway my point is that there is a lot of subjects with are much easier to pick up in a year.

In chemistry if you're smart you can get a good grate with a relatively low amount of time spent because as you said the key is understanding. If you understand the key concepts like electronegativity, different kinds of bonding and the concept of a mole, there's nothing too much else to it. These things can be understand in a relatively short amount of time, if you're clever.

On the other hand something like business, while "easier" to get an A1 in, you will still need to spend a long time getting that A1 even though the stuff learning is easy there is a large amount of it.

If you're smart chemistry is a better option as you get a better grade per time invested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

if you want to do this course you can do it in the university of limerick as a 2 year postgraduate masters course after doing a degree in something else first, something in health or social care would be best. good luck

In chemistry if you're smart you can get a good grate with a relatively low amount of time spent because as you said the key is understanding. If you understand the key concepts like electronegativity, different kinds of bonding and the concept of a mole, there's nothing too much else to it. These things can be understand in a relatively short amount of time, if you're clever.

On the other hand something like business, while "easier" to get an A1 in, you will still need to spend a long time getting that A1 even though the stuff learning is easy there is a large amount of it.

If you're smart chemistry is a better option as you get a better grade per time invested.
    And now you're insinuating that people who struggle with chemistry are stupid. Nice :rolleyes:

Once again different people have different abilities. And 'smart' is such a vague, non-specific word. Plenty of people could be described as being smart, but have absolutely no aptitude for science. So your argument there is a bit silly. It seems that your idea of being smart includes having an aptitude for science, so taking into account your narrow definition then I agree, if you're "smart" chemistry is a better option.
    But under the wider definition of smart, I disagree. If your strengths lie in common sense and being able to learn things off easily, then it would be much more efficient time wise to do subjects like business or geography.

• Advertisement

well I dont think we meant to give the impression that people who struggle with Chemistry are stupid. Thats not fair cos its not true.As you said, different people have different abilities and different mindsets and different ways of thinking.

But its true that in terms of volume, chemistry is one of the shortest courses on the LC course. Thats more what I was getting at

Advertisement