Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full license test soon, need advice

• 06-02-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Ok guys, booked me tesst before crimbo and it's up on the 10th of march. Never done a full test before, so the whole thing is new to me. Few things i have, been riding for 2 and a half years now, with a bike bigger than 125cc. Haven't had any falls since my first and only one ways back in the second month of riding and no accidents. Either i'm lucky or i'm a safe driver.

things i need to know.
    What's the structure of the test like?
    Such as a theory section?
    Bike maintenance?
    The riding positions and riding abilities?
    Maneaurving?

I remember reading before that you can fail because you don't rest your right foot on the back break while stopped or at the lights? Also you can fail for taking an incorrect line through a corner?

So what are the pitfalls for this test?
    I will be doing a pre-test near the end of this month, any recommendations, i'm living in lucan and doing my test in tallaght.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Xios wrote: »

I remember reading before that you can fail because you don't rest your right foot on the back break while stopped or at the lights? Also you can fail for taking an incorrect line through a corner?

So what are the pitfalls for this test?

It's been years since I did mine, so I can't be too specific on the details. I seriously doubt that any tester would even know the correct line to take through a corner, nevermind judging you on it.

Primarily, I'd recommend trying to stay calm. And remember, you can be failed on a few bits and still pass the test. I know I nearly fecked off home after messing up the u-turn, but still passed overall!

Also( and I know this sounds silly) it's important not just to look in your mirrors, but to be seen to look in your mirrors.

Hope this is some help, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

just pretend your this fella and you should be fine :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHClKqFMDI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd highly recommend a pre-test lesson. I didn't use him myself, but I have read good things about Dave Lyons for pre-tests in the Tallaght area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Nowadays a test follows in a bike rather than a car. When I did it, it was the latter. Progress confidently at a moderate speed. If the u-turn seems liable to go wrong, a foot can be put down at the cost of a minor fault. Losing control by dropping the bike is far worse. I did my test on a Vrod and I challenge anyone to try a u turn on that on a normal road. Boots rather than runners, a bike jacket a vest with two L plates now. The first two are a matter of making a good impression, the last is mandatory. If there was a shop beside you selling learner jackets, the test will still be cancelled or failed. Shoulder check when changing lane or turn, same as cage, but not to do so excessively as looking ahead is the most important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Have a read of this:

clicky

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

gipi wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend a pre-test lesson. I didn't use him myself, but I have read good things about Dave Lyons for pre-tests in the Tallaght area.
    Definitely take a pre test lesson. Make sure that the instructor you book will instruct you on the area you take on your pre test. They usually use the same route so if you go over that route once or twice before han it will be easier on the day. Check out your local liberary, I think their's a DVD on motorbiking and doing the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Brilliant advice guys, i'm not as worried now, just gotta brush up on my theory and do a pret-test or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Hi xios,
    Just did my test on Monday gone (passed ok). It was no picnic, was using school bike and got a bit fuddled. As been advised STAY CALM! Hold your line in the Centre of your lane, mirrors, indicate, SHOULDER CHECK! before changing position. Line yourself up for turn / roundabout etc on instruction (following above mantra).Revise road signs and rules of the road.P.O.W.D.E.R. checks. Take a couple of lessons (defo!) 1 week,Then 1 Day (or even an hour before), Ride with confidence SHOWING good observation. Tester followed me in a car.. Best of Luck, Lets know how you get on,
    P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

ikb wrote: »
    Hi xios,
    Just did my test on Monday gone (passed ok). It was no picnic, was using school bike and got a bit fuddled. As been advised STAY CALM! Hold your line in the Centre of your lane, mirrors, indicate, SHOULDER CHECK! before changing position. Line yourself up for turn / roundabout etc on instruction (following above mantra).Revise road signs and rules of the road.P.O.W.D.E.R. checks. Take a couple of lessons (defo!) 1 week,Then 1 Day (or even an hour before), Ride with confidence SHOWING good observation. Tester followed me in a car.. Best of Luck, Lets know how you get on,
    P.

Congrats on passing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

PASS!!!!

Sweet, passed my test with 3 blue flags, even with the rear hugger squeeling cause the new tires are too thick. Have to say the pretest with david lyons was very handy. He was full of good advice, i think it helped that i've 2.5 years of experience.

Went straight over to the tax office to hand in the cert, grand, 6 euro for the photos, "here's the forms miss", then she says "that'll be 25 euro" me --> :(
    Like, wtf? we pay road tax, a fee for to sit the test (€75 now) then €25 for the license, ree-dic-you-lus. Still delighted to pass though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

PASS!!!!

Sweet, passed my test with 3 blue flags, even with the rear hugger squeeling cause the new tires are too thick. Have to say the pretest with david lyons was very handy. He was full of good advice, i think it helped that i've 2.5 years of experience.

Went straight over to the tax office to hand in the cert, grand, 6 euro for the photos, "here's the forms miss", then she says "that'll be 25 euro" me --> :(
    Like, wtf? we pay road tax, a fee for to sit the test (€75 now) then €25 for the license, ree-dic-you-lus. Still delighted to pass though. :D

Congratulations :cool:

PASS!!!!

Congratulations!

BTW, do you have a pinkie for a car? If so, you should have sent that in so that it had your bike details on it and it would cost nothing.

If not, don't mind me muttering to myself :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Congrats on passing!

PASS!!!!
    :D

Well Done! :D

It is so great to have it out the way.

P.C. wrote: »
    Well Done! :D

It is so great to have it out the way.

Yeah it is, now i play the waiting game.
    Thanks guys, the advice got me there.

Well done,
    StAY cOOL, Stay alive... On governers for 2 years?
    Cheers,
    P.

congrats xios,,,i have my own test the end of this month,i hope i do as good aswell

congrats xios,,,i have my own test the end of this month,i hope i do as good aswell

Good luck. :)

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    Good luck. :)

+1, ... Lets know how you get on>

ikb wrote: »
    +1, ... Lets know how you get on>

o happy days :D

Congrats HB, sigh of relief now that it is over!

and well it is rosiejoe,was having visions of the test been canceled again on me this morning again,,am only delighted i dont have to wear the L tabbard anymore :)

Advertisement