Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else awake out there?

• 06-02-2010 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

Can't sleep to-night, head is doing ninety to the dozen. I tthink it might be all the coffee, I never had trouble sleeping when I was drinking, Oh the irony of it!!!!!.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Well, I guess not, oh well I'll try some drinking choc, see if that cheers me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

coffee is nicer than alcohol, and you wont have a hangover in the morn

Hi LBU, I know your right, but with my addictive personality, I overdo it on everything I like and coffee is one of those vices. It has the bad effect of keeping me awake, to-night is an example. Very jittery at the moment, can@t seem to settle.

Lots of lookers....no talkers.........that has to be a first for alcholics.....and to all, a very good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm awake. Purely for work related reasons though. :)

• Advertisement

Posted a reply to you but it seems to have floated off into cyberspace!

I wanted to thank you for your timely reminder that people liike you have to be awake for work, I am sometimes selfish (albeit unconsiously) due to my being a recovering alcoholic. Hats off to you and all who work nights.

I am going to cut down on the dreaded coffee, get more exercise, and get myself off to a meeting, post haste,

Best Wishes., G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

why not try the decaf? Or record and listen to the Dail report from Radio 1.... Guaranteed to put you to sleep!! Hope your meeting cheered you up. I'm trying to decide on going to a meeting this afternoon or the cinema to see Invicta.... I probably need both! Take my mind off the other sh1t in my life at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Yep - go to a meeting definitely. It can be the most horrible/boring/frustrating thing when you're up into the wee hours and everybody else (including the boardsies) seem to be in sleepland. A night awake is rotten, but if you go and chat it out it probably will help - if nothing else, at least you can have a moan about it!!
    But, one thing you can say is that you could have been up that late last night and then have to suffer from a hangover or the horrors today.
    You should sleep tonight though!
    In fact, you may be sleeping right now!
    I am so jealous!!! :P

Thanks lads, on "mature reflexion" I should have saved it for the meeting, feel a bit mortified now that I reread my threads, impetuous....that's me.!! Oh well, what's new....Stay well.

Gx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Insomnia can be a pain in the hole hehe. The more active you are the easier it is to sleep. A good balanced diet helps too. How was the meeting? :)

• Advertisement

Met my Sponsor to go to a meeting, (she is a rock of sense) talked for hours, went for lunch, and just home again, might go to a meeting to-night, or not, might just get an early night, depends on how I feel, right now, a cosy fire, and a night,s veg out sounds good to me. Stay well -o-.

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Hi Elenxor,

You could allways practise your Agony Aunt Fred personna.

A Day at A Time of course ;)

......but your hobnobs are far too expensive!

I'm sure you'll make a better job of it than me lol

I used to think time dragged, but now there just aren't enough hours in the day, the best is yet to come, have a look at the promises p84.

HI Colrow,
    Time I reread the "big Tome" again, I agree., It looks like we have a Quoram here lads, what will we call the new Group (keep it clean)Stay well x

What should we call this new Group (keep it clean)...thanks Colrow. sent two other threads....no sign of them..very odd..

My serenity is *****d

Elenxor wrote: »
    My serenity is *****d

Yeah I know how you feel. I'm up and down like a brides nightie today....

What would make it better, do you know, if you can't fix the problem `right now, this minute, park it., if you don't.................G.x

Yeah. I suppose you're right. I know what will fix it but can't do now. So.... parked! I went to a meeting this afternoon too. Was ok... A bit depressing but, hey, as the man who wrote the Hokey cokey said "That's what it's all about!!"

• Advertisement

Just got a text from a "friend"..she pulled an Italian rugger bugger to-day, and she never even offered to get his friend for me....talk about a selfish Alchoholic!!!!!!!!!!!!

rotflmao have you been reading page 69 ?

Maybe I have and mabe I have'nt, nothing wrong with the odd auld wild dream of my own, now and again........G

I was just thinking of going for a walk, MOTHER OF DEVINE it's a white-out out there. Creepy, like Wuthering Heights, well that settles it, blinds down, jammies on and lock down for the night!!!!!!!Hope I get that in the right order.Stay well my friends. Night Nightxx

White Out? Snow? Where?

Sunday February 07 2010

Renowned for their holiday benders, the Irish are the life and soul of the party and they have been on the razz for the best part of two decades.

Now a recovering alcoholic of four years standing, Andrew O'Loughlin unveiled 'Sober Holidays', Europe's first alcohol-free vacation for those trying to stay clean after kicking their addiction.

"If there was a place in Europe like this at the time, I would have been their best customer," he said.

"I have always loved travelling, but four years ago I loved travelling to party, and my holiday was a downward spiral from having your first drink in the airport bar."

Mr O'Loughlin has developed a Portuguese villa to provide a relaxing holiday environment without a drink in sight. Billed as a unique holiday destination for people in recovery, it is designed for guests with a minimum of 60 days' abstinence behind them.

"For the first few months of my recovery myself and my partner went on numerous holidays, but everywhere I went the drink was always there, which I found horrendously difficult," he said.

"I felt I needed the support, but it was nowhere to be found. I searched everywhere in Europe for an alcohol-free holiday and there was nowhere I could go to."

Named 'Renovatio', meaning 'rebirth', the villa has been his home for the last few years.

"Friends of mine that are in recovery have come out and found it amazing," Mr O'Loughlin said.

"Like me, they found it their safe haven. I saw a lot of people relapsing in early recovery and I felt there was a need, whether someone is two months or two years into recovery, for a serene place they could go to with support and they could have a holiday and enjoy it."

Renovatio is a beautifully restored 19th-century villa, discreetly located in the Algarve hills, 45 minutes from Faro airport. This safe and supportive environment features a wellness centre with facilities such as massage, meditation and yoga, in addition to regular evening sunset meditation excursions.

The house can hold up to 10 people at a time, and star of RTE's The Restaurant John Healy will be on hand to share his natural sense of hospitality and ensure that the atmosphere is always relaxed, fun and entertaining.

There is a zero-tolerance policy to alcohol or drugs and all visitors to the hilltop villa, including partners of those in recovery, are expected to adhere to this. Full support is also available to guests, irrespective of their recovery programme or philosophy

Costs start at €995 per week, with all meals included. The holidays are open to people over 21 years of age, and bookings can be made via www.soberholidays.net

Sunday Independent

Hi Col, Just sent a thread on that article about Holidays for us lot, (my usual witty, intelligent and thoughtful pronouncements....yah right)and again it has vapourised. anyway , I'd love to know what others of our kind think of this idea. Off to get ready for my Meeting now, I' driving, so be very careful out there. Stay well Col and friends. G.

Ooh I dunno!! Not sure if I could do a week of that. T'would be like a week long meeting wouldn't it? You see, if I'm havin a bad day and the meeting is depressing I get really down.

that This little machine is not gone out the window by.. I keep posting, they keep disappearing....anyhow Shay, I was just imparting few pearls of wisdom to you, Like.. try a few different meetings, and while I find the notion of holidays for our kind a a great idea, long overdue, the price is a bit off putting, or mabe to keep out us riff raff. out, My Judge Judy rant) Stay well my friend. G.

• Advertisement

How many newbies do you know (60 days) would have the guts of a thousand smackers to blow on a holiday? A hot meal and a safe bed to sleep is a bonus for most incomers. Lets try and keep it real folks...G.

Advertisement