Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Convergence Club

• 25-01-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

This thread is for general chatting, primarily to prevent other threads from going off-topic.

Two gold stars for the person who comes up with the best name for the thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

The Maths & Econ TSM is an awesome combination. Gold standard for courses available in Ireland. Such distinguished members as:

rms-62729.jpg

I sometimes wonder what it must be like inside Prof. Whelan's brain. Someday I may steal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Let's not forget Kevin:

o--rourke-8665-20090702-6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Another excellent service prompted by the constant complaining of yours truly :pac:

Pah! I began the rebellion that led to the exodus of this forum from 'biz' to 'science' (via 'soc'). There should be a statue of me in the foyer...

Philip Lane too? I think they all have gold medals.

Philip%20Lane%20photo.jpg

Pah! I began the rebellion that led to the exodus of this forum from 'biz' to 'science' (via 'soc'). There should be a statue of me in the foyer...
    There was an influx of idiots when we moved to Soc, though. I demand compensation! At least we're in Science, near Physics, where we belong :) (wait for the 'pseudo-science' comments...)

• Advertisement

Lane, Morgan Kelly and Paul Devereux did BESS.

Tending towards disequilibrium? Maximising your pleasure, minimising my effort?

There was an influx of idiots when we moved to Soc, though. I demand compensation! At least we're in Science, near Physics, where we belong :) (wait for the 'pseudo-science' comments...)

Yeah, but I am quoted as saying that our chances of being moved to Soc were better, from there we could launch to Science.

It was visionary...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

At least we're in Science, near Physics, where we belong :) (wait for the 'pseudo-science' comments...

Schoolchild asked to fill in the blanks: Economics is a ________ science.
    Kid puts down dismal :D

Yeah, but I am quoted as saying that our chances of being moved to Soc were better, from there we could launch to Science.

It was visionary...

:pac:
    Like Moses, leading to the way to the promised land of Science > Economics :pac:.

On the theme of general chat, I believe Romer is updating his macro book. Let another generation test the extent of their nerdiness.

• Advertisement

Pfft, Acemoglu all the way.

Does Acemoglu use a lot of stochastic calculus in that book?

Quite similar to Barro's book but broader in scope from looking at the TOC.

Much more depth than Barro, too. Barro is an undergrad textbook, this is a Mas-Colell that doesn't assume you know differential calculus and topology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Perhaps 'Economics' along with 'Politics' should be moved closer to the 'Religion' forum.

http://www.psupress.org/Justataste/samplechapters/justatasteRNelson.html
    http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/s8195.html

PS I could not resist...

Much more depth than Barro, too. Barro is an undergrad textbook, this is a Mas-Colell that doesn't assume you know differential calculus and topology.
    I wouldn't call Barro's growth book an undergrad book per se; maybe final-year undergrad with some knowledge of optimal control. Ugh, Mas-Colell. This is a nice micro book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Microeconomic-Theory-International-Geoffrey/dp/0321204530/

I wouldn't call Barro's growth book an undergrad book per se; maybe final-year undergrad with some knowledge of optimal control. Ugh, Mas-Colell. This is a nice micro book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Microeconomic-Theory-International-Geoffrey/dp/0321204530/

Ah, thought you meant Barro's general macro book.

13,870,517 observations. Big dataset.

Household panel data?

• Advertisement

13,870,517 observations. Big dataset.

Run regression

Get Coffee
    Clean desk
    Get Coffee
    Chat
    Lunch
    Coffee
    Gym

Check results - fix error

Run Regression

repeat above!

Household panel data?
    Repeated census samples.
    Run regression

Get Coffee
    Clean desk
    Get Coffee
    Chat
    Lunch
    Coffee
    Gym

Check results - fix error

Run Regression

repeat above!

Pfft, how inefficient your methods are :P.

Drop the vast majority of observations to get your n down to about 50,000
    Run regression
    Correct errors
    Re-instate original n
    Run regression
    Gym
    Check results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Repeated census samples.

Pfft, how inefficient your methods are :P.

Drop the vast majority of observations to get your n down to about 50,000
    Run regression
    Correct errors
    Re-instate original n
    Run regression
    Gym
    Check results

Better yet, fob it off on undergrads as 'coursework.' Go home for the day :p

Via the IE blog: Rethinking Macroeconomic Policy, by Blanchard et al.

Can't read it tonight - will do tomorrow.

However - is Blanchard retracting his 'that state of macro is ok' line?

It's more a policy paper than the 'state of macro' paper; he doesn't really criticise macroeconomists. It's quite short and focuses on issues such as: the new monetary policy tools to intervene more directly in credit markets and whether they should be kept in some manner; the role of fiscal policy and (more efficient) automatic stabilisers; whether inflation targets should be increased above the current 2%; regulation of banks; and interventions in forex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Interesting paper, some points in particular:

1. The need for more nominal interest rate room. The zero nominal interest rate bound limits the scope of monetary policy to take extreme corrective action in a deep recession or crisis. Central banks quickly cut their rates to zero from about 2%, not enough of a cut. Should central banks allow higher average inflation rates in good times and therefore higher nominal interest rates so that rates can be cut more in a recession and have a more dramatic effect? Methinks yes...
    2. The reemergence of fiscal policy as an important tool. It appears that in deep recessions, fiscal policy has more time to be effective, especially when monetary policy has reached its limits.
    3. Combining cyclical regulatory tools (regulatory capital ratios, regulatory liquidity ratios, loan to value ratios, margin requirements) with monetary policy tools to target asset price bubbles. Seems like a good approach.
    4. Designing better automatic fiscal stabilisers. Temporary tax policies (flat refundable tax rebate, temporary transfers) that would be linked to some macro variable threshold such as unemployment. These kind of stabilisers would act immediately.

Any thoughts on the above? Good research topics there....

I'm not sure if you've read this, but you may also be interested in Woodford's '08 piece (à la Mankiw): 'Elements of the New Synthesis'

http://www.columbia.edu/~mw2230/Convergence_AEJ.pdf

• Advertisement

This thread is for general chatting, primarily to prevent other threads from going off-topic.

Two gold stars for the person who comes up with the best name for the thread.

The Convergence Club?

The Convergence Club?

:D

"Convergence. Period."
    "The Cluster"
    "The Cauchy Sequence, N > m,n"

yay!

Boardsh.png

:D

Ireland gets a bailout...

...from the Leprechaun community.
    The Leprechaun community is to give its pots of gold to the Government to help cover the cost of recapitalising the banks.

The financial crisis is expected to cost billions so Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan have been looking for ways to ease the burden on taxpayers.

The two men travelled to the ends of the rainbow to persuade Leprechaun leaders to invest in the country's future.

In return for donating the pots of gold to the State coffers, Leprechaun leaders have asked for land in west Clare to create their own reserve.
    The final deal was brokered on St Patrick's Day when US President Barack Obama invited Leprechaun leaders to the White House for talks.

UN Leprechaun Ambassador Bono, who is partial to a good cause, was also present at the talks, where he called for the rights of Leprechauns to be fully recognised by the State.

There was once a larger Leprechaun population in Ireland but they were culled by Oliver Cromwell in the 1640s.

00032826-380.jpg

Leprechaun leader Hairy Twinkletoes O'Shaughnessy said: 'Top of the morning to ya. Bejaysus and Begorrah. 'Tis a soft day afterall.'

Taoiseach Brian Cowen said he welcomed the deal and was grateful for the Leprechaun intervention in saving the country from financial meltdown.

Mr Cowen also said that the Government was discussing plans to introduce an extra bank holiday.

He said that the banks could do less damage to the economy if there were more holidays.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0401/aprilfools.html

Glad to see this piece of fantasy is above Blair Horan and his mythical pot of gold in the 'Most Read' list.

• Advertisement

I love that closing line.

Via Makiw, Robert Barro on 5 books (well, 2 books and 3 papers) to read about the great depression and the ongoing debate about fiscal stimulus:

http://five-books.com/interviews/robert-barro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This thread derives me crazy.

More of you guys is always better.

Blatantly stolen fromt he chat-up lines but I love them!

o_rly.jpg

James_Heckman_417101artw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

o_rly.jpg

James_Heckman_417101artw.jpg
    WTF? has the stress of moderating economics gotten to you?

• Advertisement

WTF? has the stress of moderating economics gotten to you?

It's an old internet meme. Someone would post e15b36a09ecb8b19abcdaa0bfdbc18c6_thumb.jpg and the appropriate reply was ya-rly-18009.jpg.

I dunno about anyone else, but I see a similarity between Prof Heckman and the YA RLY owl.

So maybe the stress of moderating has gotten to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

It's an old internet meme. Someone would post e15b36a09ecb8b19abcdaa0bfdbc18c6_thumb.jpg and the appropriate reply was ya-rly-18009.jpg.

I dunno about anyone else, but I see a similarity between Prof Heckman and the YA RLY owl.

So maybe the stress of moderating has gotten to me.

I see... personally when I saw the following, a certain economist instantly sprung to mind. (WARNING! some posters may find the following offensively cringeworthy)

QuiteRly.jpg
    KeynesMagician.jpg
    Keynes was always an odd "owl" fella :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

For our resident geographer:

http://www.princeton.edu/~pkrugman/aag.pdf

Paul Krugman's talk to the Association of American Geographers.

libertarian.png

Via Krugman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

libertarian.png

Via Krugman :D

personally I'd have called a private fire service :p

I'll see that and raise you....

Dogma.jpg
    Feb08

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Anyone else going to Robert Merton later?

Advertisement