Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Interchange at Dart Station!

Options
  • 06-02-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I understand the Dublin Bus Interchange at the Dart station has run into problems! How long has this project been going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    I understand the Dublin Bus Interchange at the Dart station has run into problems! How long has this project been going on?

It started sometime in October or November and was supposed to finished by Christmas, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Loooks almost done to me. Just to do the entrance to the railway car park now. (maybe theres more I duno)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I understand the Dublin Bus Interchange at the Dart station has run into problems!

what problems specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

There appears to be a design flaw! The engineer has stated that it works on paper :D but Dublin Bus claim it will be too narrow for their buses, and they had minimal consultation in the designing process! And Cnclr. Hayden has asked for work to be halted until the design flaw can be fixed so it will be "workable" for the buses it was intended for!

I can only imagine the madness on the main street caused by this construction project :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Months

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I can only imagine the madness on the main street caused by this construction project :rolleyes:

I can't imagine it will be any worse than the madness caused by the combination of buses and @rseh0le drivers doing u-turns in the space that was there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There appears to be a design flaw! The engineer has stated that it works on paper :D but Dublin Bus claim it will be too narrow for their buses, and they had minimal consultation in the designing process! And Cnclr. Hayden has asked for work to be halted until the design flaw can be fixed so it will be "workable" for the buses it was intended for!

Sounds like an engineer over-engineering traffic calming...make the road as narrow as possible to slow traffic while decreaing the distance to cross for pedestrians!

So what are the solutions?:

1. Make a one way system like in Bray? - That's impractical!
    2. Ban buses from using the bus stops? - Pointless!
    3. Widen the road? -Waste of perfectly good money but here we go - it'll hit our pockets!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

So what are the solutions?:

Leave it be?
    Its far from Liverpool lime st! We have the 84/184 and the mighty X all with the spotlight on them at the moment as to slashing.
    Private coaches are

Them insane temp lights are just causing chaos at the rush period.

One big problem in Greystones main street is that it is indeed too narrow for the volume of traffic drawn to the town by the booming commercial life. Is it still a viable situation to have parking all up alongside the main street, as this appears to be what causes jams, be it from cars, or delivery trucks. Apart from parked cars causing congestion, it is also a safety problem for pedestrians.

I don`t think there would be such a problem with the buses, if cars were directed away from the main street.

So where could cars park instead? Well, seeing as how pay parking is the norm now in Greystones, would a Greystones Town Council shuttle service not be a solution, and have customers use more of the car parks like the one I so often see vacant down near the council offices?

Tax-payer`s money might be better spent on more car parks for the town, to rid the main street of congestion, instead of spending it on a bus interchange which, IMO, is only a first-aid plaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

When you say Bus 'Interchange', do you just mean the cut in at the Dart station for the bus to offload passangers?

• Advertisement

Interchange, as in the new system that is currently under construction down there near the dart station.

So where could cars park instead? Well, seeing as how pay parking is the norm now in Greystones, would a Greystones Town Council shuttle service not be a solution, and have customers use more of the car parks like the one I so often see vacant down near the council offices?

Are you suggesting a shuttle from the park and ride to the main street?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Are you suggesting a shuttle from the park and ride to the main street?
    My god that would be incredibly lazy of people

Interchange, as in the new system that is currently under construction down there near the dart station.

Yeah i was hoping you could explain what the new system actually IS?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wicklow Co. Co. are describing the whole shebang as a "public transport interchange" but it is (as it always has been) a station with a single bus stop outside - the buses will continue to do their own thing and pull off just as the dart is arriving too.

All they're really doing is narrowing the roads, widening the pavements, putting in a pelican crossing, a couple of zebra crossings and a bus shelter.

IMO the work they've done so far looks pretty good, but I hope they're going to resurface the road as well - at the moment the remains of the old cobble-lock ramps are still in place and the surface in general is very poor (not fun to cycle over).

Good question...what IS the function of the interchange??

And yes, a shuttle from any potential car parks that are more than say 10 mins walk away from the town centre, particularly for more elderly folk. Those of us who are not lazy, and/or more fit would not need the excuse of a shuttle service in order to use the carparks.

Here is the article which appeared in this week`s Bray People which prompted this thread...

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/jones-concerned-that-euro500000-interchange-is-not-fit-for-purpose-2050190.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Of more concern is the plan to cobble block the main street from the Burnaby to Xtravision. That will not affect traffic at all ;)

Another thing is the subtle change in colour between the footpath and the road if its any way dark. This combined with the very shallow kerbs and late night street dwellers who may or may not be drunk, could cause an incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm confused - is the interchange at the DART station? Bray people article mentions Garda station - I presume this is a mistake, also what is supposed to happen with taxis when it's finished?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    what is supposed to happen with taxis when it's finished?

We're going to be ranked outside the Burnaby apparently. Its been a massive pain since they started moving us all over the place.

And yes, a shuttle from any potential car parks that are more than say 10 mins walk

If that walk takes you 10min, then you probably need to stay home.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I'm confused - is the interchange at the DART station? Bray people article mentions Garda station - I presume this is a mistake, also what is supposed to happen with taxis when it's finished?

Its the bray people, of course its a mistake.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    If that walk takes you 10min, then you probably need to stay home.

LOL @ d`Oracle.... I was trying to picture that walk in my head as I have never done it myself, but I am sure there are some folk who would take that long! :D

And yes, that was a typo on Bray people`s part!

Jammyc wrote: »
    Another thing is the subtle change in colour between the footpath and the road if its any way dark. This combined with the very shallow kerbs and late night street dwellers who may or may not be drunk, could cause an incident.

That sure sounds like an invitation for a law suit! I often wonder what the safety gurus get paid when hired to design these type of set-ups... Me thinks if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys :D

Drunken night dwellers negate their legal rights by being oh I don't know... Drunken night dwellers maybe.

Drunken night dwellers negate their legal rights by being oh I don't know... Drunken night dwellers maybe.

Only drunken night dwellers would be, maybe, if they aren`t very bright!

I will know not to drive down main street with this lovely interchange mess, when I am home! :rolleyes:

Thats brilliant Clodagh, less traffic for everyone.

Now all we need to do is convince the SUV Soccer moms, WW1 Car Driving Vets and Buses to ignore the town and it will be bliss.

But I digress, Interchange Good!

The transport 'interchange' (i hate this word, its a bit fancy for what is basically the siteing of a bus stop outside a train station!) is a positive thing, the place is a lot more attractive, safer for pedestrians and will give a bit of order to the parking situation at the train station which has always been shambolic.

Ok if they made the cut in for the bus to park a wee bit small thats annoying but overall its a big improvement. Along with the refurbed library i reckon it adds a whole lot to the appearence of the place.

• Advertisement

The transport 'interchange' (i hate this word, its a bit fancy for what is basically the siteing of a bus stop outside a train station!) is a positive thing, the place is a lot more attractive, safer for pedestrians and will give a bit of order to the parking situation at the train station which has always been shambolic.

Ok if they made the cut in for the bus to park a wee bit small thats annoying but overall its a big improvement. Along with the refurbed library i reckon it adds a whole lot to the appearence of the place.

Thank you for that very positive comment Pablo, I hope it helps. I am looking forward to seeing it very soon. :)

Advertisement