Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-football movement

• 06-02-2010 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

What will it take for people to start turning against football? How many more spitting, cheating, dishonest footballers can people tolerate? How much more higher must their wages go (and our jobs lost) before people start turning against this now immoral 'business'?

Most aren't even good at what they do.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

The thing is, football only become immoral in the way you suggest at a certain financial level. Below that, its a perfectly enjoyable and defendable profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kevster wrote: »
    What will it take for people to start turning against football? How many more spitting, cheating, dishonest footballers can people tolerate? How much more higher must their wages go (and our jobs lost) before people start turning against this now immoral 'business'?

Kevin

Have you turned against football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a bit of a silly question to me.

Some people might think that watching the professionals is now a joke with all the money and that craic, but it won't stop those people playing football with their local teams.

And anyone, once football is in your blood, it's in your blood. You'd have to be bloody weird to just stop liking football. Kinda like cigarettes, you can give them up, but you'll always have the craving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Kevin

I don't mind cheating really. It annoys me a bit, but I know they only do it because they'll do anything to win. And really, I don't mind that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yes, I have turned against it. You seem to think that the 'it' I am referring to is football in its entirety. That's not true, however, and I love playing and watching football. It isn't even the majority of professional leagues in the world that I'm against. It's just these top 'money-saturated' leagues. The players are overpayed, the owners of the clubs have little interest in football, and it's all revolving around money. That's not what sport is about.

Let these leagues go off on their own and let the others not have to try to live up to their standards by playing in the same league structures. On that note, when will people become tired of seeing the same teams compete for titles each year? I can tell you right now that Rangers or Celtic will win the league next year - How exciting. In England, it'll be Man U, Arsenal, or Chelsea - Brilliant. Germany, it will be Inter Milan. In France, it'll be Bordeaux or Lyon; Holland, Alkmaar, Ajax, or PSV; etc.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kevin

Plenty of spitters, cheaters and liars in other professions too. Its just because its high profile over here

American football, basketball (where one of the highest paid players brought guns into the dressing room), cycling is rife with drugs and plenty of baseball players have admitted to using.

You want scandal......Michael Bay, director of the piece of **** that was transformers 2 made 120M dollars last year.

Bit of a Daily Mail response to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

There really does need to be a wage cap introduced :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its gone all silly when we are talking about a players off the field performance.

Personally I love watching a good game and talking about how players performed, but this place is more like a soap opera recently with people giving out about what a player does off the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Let these leagues go off on their own and let the others not have to try to live up to their standards by playing in the same league structures. On that note, when will people become tired of seeing the same teams compete for titles each year? I can tell you right now that Rangers or Celtic will win the league next year - How exciting. In England, it'll be Man U, Arsenal, or Chelsea - Brilliant. Germany, it will be Inter Milan. In France, it'll be Bordeaux or Lyon; Holland, Alkmaar, Ajax, or PSV; etc.

Kevin

Hmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I do mind the cheating and the other immoral stuff but I think you have to take heart in the good over the bad.

There are diving cheats but there's also Messi. There are big time charlies but there's also Ivan Klasnic, a guy who went through two kidney transplants and still wants to play.

Ultimately it's a bit like politics. Some, maybe most, will be corrupted by the power and perks but you have to see past the bad stuff and look to those that still care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What will it take for people to start turning against football? How many more spitting, cheating, dishonest footballers can people tolerate?

I don't like this stuff but it's not a recent thing...

I'm in my thirties and it's been around (albeit more in England since 93) or so) as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Kevin

Do you think footballers are any less immoral than they were in the 60's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Xavi6 wrote: »

B@stard Aussie based poster beat me too it! :mad: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I can tell you right now that Rangers or Celtic will win the league next year - How exciting. In England, it'll be Man U, Arsenal, or Chelsea - Brilliant. Germany, it will be Inter Milan. In France, it'll be Bordeaux or Lyon; Holland, Alkmaar, Ajax, or PSV; etc.

The football might still be boring, but the war will be pretty interesting when the German armies march across the Alps to invade Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Bit of a Daily Mail response to be honest.

+1
    How long before people turn against that rag of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Holland, Alkmaar, Ajax, or PSV; etc.

Kevin

In fairness Alkmaar hardly compete every year they were a flash in the pan. Is that not what you seem to be looking for? You forgot FC Twente and Feyenoord.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm looking forward to seeing Inter Milan win the Bundesliga next year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its gone all silly when we are talking about a players off the field performance.

Personally I love watching a good game and talking about how players performed, but this place is more like a soap opera recently with people giving out about what a player does off the field.
    I wasn't referring to the John Terry thing. When I said 'cheating', I meant cheating while they play the actual sport, by diving, deceiving the ref and opponents, etc. I was told that incompetent people will be found in every profession, and that's certainly holding true as I go through life.

curry-muff said that there needs to be a salary cap. I agree with that, but then you could argue that it's not fair to do as such through the courts.

I think we all know that this simply cannot go on forever. The game has only been mega-inflated (financially speaking) for a few years now. As we can see, clubs are beginning to die off already due to financial constraints and poor management (at the level of directors).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »

It's a thread about El Hadj Diouf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement