Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby in the Gealic grounds?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Will never happen. €40 million was spent upgrading Thomond Park why would they allow them :confused:. The GAA missed the boat, they are jealous of the revenue Thomond park is getting in with the concerts etc, recently put in floodlights and have nothing to use with the stadium especially with pretty much the whole hurling team on strike. I just think this an excuse to get these politicians in the paper because they know it will never happen.

Anyway, Gaelic Grounds is a terrible place to watch a match anyway, you have a better view from the terrace than the stand bizarrely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Jigga wrote: »
    Will never happen. €40 million was spent upgrading Thomond Park why would they allow them :confused:. The GAA missed the boat, they are jealous of the revenue Thomond park is getting in with the concerts etc, recently put in floodlights and have nothing to use with the stadium especially with pretty much the whole hurling team on strike. I just think this an excuse to get these politicians in the paper because they know it will never happen.

Anyway, Gaelic Grounds is a terrible place to watch a match anyway, you have a better view from the terrace than the stand bizarrely.

:rolleyes:

This same old story gets trotted out year on year when Munster get to quarter finals.. To say it comes from the GAA being jealous is wrong. The only place it comes from is the muffins in City hall looking to get a fewcolumn inches in the local rags. This year it's a fella with GAA involvement, last year it was Ginger McLoughlin, the year before it was John Gilligan. It's just councillors looking for attention, which they invariably get.

The article in the independent is an absolute joke as well. They run a front page article with half of it made by digs at the GAA from an unnamed Munster fan. Talk about indept research.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Ah here we go again, the annual lets bash the GAA for doing nothing wrong. Every year this topic comes up and the GAA gets a fair amount of abuse around Limerick. I remember a couple of years ago, pre Thomond Park development, when Munster got to the quarter finals but they still had one pool game left to decide if it was a home or an away quarter final and this was being discussed on Des Cahill show on RTE. Rugby fan after rugby fan was ringing in abusing Limerick GAA saying how much of a disgrace they are not letting the quarter final being played in the Gaelic Grounds. Even a promenent former Munster player got in on the act and gave the GAA an awfull doing on the radio. In the end Munster lost and had to play the match away.

The fact of the matter is that Munster Rugby have NEVER made an application to use the Gealic Grounds and the GAA have NEVER ruled it out. I would be open to correction here if somebody can show me otherwise! Maybe I'm wrong, but surely if Munster Rugby want to use the Gaelic Grounds now or in the past it is up to them to approach the GAA??

As for the comment that the GAA are jelous of the revenues that Thomond Park get for the concerts, of course they are. And the main reason they are is that one of the stipulations on the planning approval for the redeveloped Gaelic Grounds is that NO Concerts can be played there. Hardy a level playing field!!

I also agree that the article in the Liemrick Independent was an incredibally biased article. It was completely anti GAA and Pro Rugby. Quoting an unnamed source telling the GAA to keep their "Grubby hands" off rugby and also the low blow claiming that the stadium manager in Thomond Park saying that the Gaelic Grounds was not professional enough to hold a Heineken Cup game, and then when he was actually quoted all he said was the he's not sure if the Gaelic Grounds could accomodate 100 foreign journalists - Big differnece inmy opinion!! Anyone who has never been to the new Gaelic Grounds, it is a great stadium - the Mackey stand needs to be rebuilt alright but the stadium itself is a top class stadium!

I am obviously a GAA person but always support Munster Rugby team but I can never understand why an organisation like the GAA which does the most amount of Community work in all of Ireland, and all voluntary gets such abuse. Like calling it the Grab All Association.......... all the money the GAA "Grabs" goes straight back into the community and the clubs, not into anyone's pocket!!
    Finally, I would love to see Munsters quarter final played in the Gaelic Grounds, not because the GAA will make a few bob from it (which as I said will go to the clubs and facilities not O'Gara's pocket) but because it will be a great boost for Limerick having 50,000 people attend a game instead of 26,000!!

Rant over!!

By the way, anyone who is not aware of what the new Gaelic Grounds is like, here is a good photo I found on the internet. Looks fairly professional in my opinion!! (If the person who actually posted this photo on the net is a member on boards I would be only happy to credit you for it!! I have a feeling he is a member here!!)

GaelicGroundsFloodlights.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

From what I have heard, Munster Rugby have NOT made an application for the QF to be in the Gaelic Grounds. However, it would be great to have double the capacity for such an important game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I saw whiskey nose Gilligan getting his oar in as usual about this. Thomond Park is the home of Munster Rugby and will rightfully stage the QF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I love it every year when this gets trotted out. As has been said, Munster Rugby have never asked to use the Gaelic Grounds, even if they did the internal rules of the organisation that own the Gaelic Grounds mean that it can't be used. Munster Rugby are struggling to fill TP for all their games and need to put on extra events to try to make the stadium viable, I don't think they'd want to move any game away from their. On the back of that, once the Aviva opens, I would imagine that the IRFU will want all big games played in stadiums under their remit so they don't have to pay rent.

If Limerick GAA was going great guns and the rugby wasn't I'm sure there'd be some outspoken people saying what a disgrace it was that TP wasn't opened up for hurling or football matchs and how it was terrible that the developed a stadium that didn't have a pitch big enough :D

BTW, I'm a season ticket holder for TP, not that that should make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thomond park is an excellent example of a stadium that the GAA themselves should be building. Its a decent size that can be filled regularily, rather than the garguantian gaelic grounds that was never full yet. You could also list off the various county grounds across Ireland that were built as prestige projects and also have never seen a capacity crowd. Idiotic, but that all stems from the push made in 1984 (GAA centenary) to prioritise the issue of owning and developing your own grounds. Unfortunately it has turned into an obscession in the GAA but thats for another thread.

Anyhow. The use of the Gaelic Grounds for a rugby game this year is not going to happen. Only Croke Park is currently up for grabs by non GAA sports.
    It needs a full blown vote at GAA central congress to change the rule to allow any other club or county ground to be used by non GAA sports.
    Thats not going to happen. Croke park being opened only got forced through because there was NO alternative on the Island for the duration of Landsdowne being closed for Ireland Rugby/ Soccer to play their internationals and the congress realised that the games being played in England whilst Croke Park lies empty would be a scandal.
    Theres a lot in the GAA not happy with Croke Park being opened, and it would be extremely difficult/ nigh on impossible to push something through for other grounds without a reason as compelling as what you had in Croke Park.

Once the redeveloped landsdowne comes online though, (complimented by the medium sized thomond park for smaller internationals) you'll hear less and less of calls for GAA grounds to be opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

tommy249 wrote: »
    Ah here we go again, the annual lets bash the GAA for doing nothing wrong. Every year this topic comes up and the GAA gets a fair amount of abuse around Limerick. I remember a couple of years ago, pre Thomond Park development, when Munster got to the quarter finals but they still had one pool game left to decide if it was a home or an away quarter final and this was being discussed on Des Cahill show on RTE. Rugby fan after rugby fan was ringing in abusing Limerick GAA saying how much of a disgrace they are not letting the quarter final being played in the Gaelic Grounds. Even a promenent former Munster player got in on the act and gave the GAA an awfull doing on the radio. In the end Munster lost and had to play the match away.

The fact of the matter is that Munster Rugby have NEVER made an application to use the Gealic Grounds and the GAA have NEVER ruled it out. I would be open to correction here if somebody can show me otherwise! Maybe I'm wrong, but surely if Munster Rugby want to use the Gaelic Grounds now or in the past it is up to them to approach the GAA??

As for the comment that the GAA are jelous of the revenues that Thomond Park get for the concerts, of course they are. And the main reason they are is that one of the stipulations on the planning approval for the redeveloped Gaelic Grounds is that NO Concerts can be played there. Hardy a level playing field!!

I also agree that the article in the Liemrick Independent was an incredibally biased article. It was completely anti GAA and Pro Rugby. Quoting an unnamed source telling the GAA to keep their "Grubby hands" off rugby and also the low blow claiming that the stadium manager in Thomond Park saying that the Gaelic Grounds was not professional enough to hold a Heineken Cup game, and then when he was actually quoted all he said was the he's not sure if the Gaelic Grounds could accomodate 100 foreign journalists - Big differnece inmy opinion!! Anyone who has never been to the new Gaelic Grounds, it is a great stadium - the Mackey stand needs to be rebuilt alright but the stadium itself is a top class stadium!

I am obviously a GAA person but always support Munster Rugby team but I can never understand why an organisation like the GAA which does the most amount of Community work in all of Ireland, and all voluntary gets such abuse. Like calling it the Grab All Association.......... all the money the GAA "Grabs" goes straight back into the community and the clubs, not into anyone's pocket!!
    Finally, I would love to see Munsters quarter final played in the Gaelic Grounds, not because the GAA will make a few bob from it (which as I said will go to the clubs and facilities not O'Gara's pocket) but because it will be a great boost for Limerick having 50,000 people attend a game instead of 26,000!!

Rant over!!

By the way, anyone who is not aware of what the new Gaelic Grounds is like, here is a good photo I found on the internet. Looks fairly professional in my opinion!! (If the person who actually posted this photo on the net is a member on boards I would be only happy to credit you for it!! I have a feeling he is a member here!!)

GaelicGroundsFloodlights.jpg

did you take this off skyscrapercity.com from the stadium section? if so..yes, it was me who posted it up! along with semple stadium and pairc ui caoimh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

dave 27 wrote: »
    did you take this off skyscrapercity.com from the stadium section? if so..yes, it was me who posted it up! along with semple stadium and pairc ui caoimh

It's from Bing Maps, Birds Eye view.

http://www.bing.com/maps

Another factor in this would have to be fact that they wouldn't actually sell out the Gaelic Grounds. Thomond Park has catered comfortably for the crowds for all games so far this year, with tickets being freely available for all games, granted you might get 5 to 10k extra to the match but that would be about it. Hardly worth it when you take into account all the logistics that go with a new event at a venue.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Another factor in this would have to be fact that they wouldn't actually sell out the Gaelic Grounds. Thomond Park has catered comfortably for the crowds for all games so far this year, with tickets being freely available for all games, granted you might get 5 to 10k extra to the match but that would be about it. Hardly worth it when you take into account all the logistics that go with a new event at a venue.

i totally disagree, if munster have a home quarter or simi final, you will get as many fans as there are tickets on sale, i know this as iv been to most munster matches including heiniken cup finals since 2005.
    if the gaelic grounds were open for that match it would easily sell the 50,000 but the fact that munster wont move from thomond (and i agree with that) means this arguement is pointless!

last year in the simi final there was about 50,000 munster fans in croker, travelling all the way to dublin, to think that you wont get 50,000 in limerick is ludacris (spelt that wrong).

i totally disagree, if munster have a home quarter or simi final, you will get as many fans as there are tickets on sale, i know this as iv been to most munster matches including heiniken cup finals since 2005.
    if the gaelic grounds were open for that match it would easily sell the 50,000 but the fact that munster wont move from thomond (and i agree with that) means this arguement is pointless!

last year in the simi final there was about 50,000 munster fans in croker, travelling all the way to dublin, to think that you wont get 50,000 in limerick is ludacris (spelt that wrong).

Not a hope of it. If they are playing Leinster then you will. There were plenty of tickets knocking about for last years quarter final against the Ospreys.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Not a hope of it. If they are playing Leinster then you will. There were plenty of tickets knocking about for last years quarter final against the Ospreys.

not true at all, im a steward in thomond park and we always know what the attendance is and let me tell you EVERY hk match is a sellout! fact! my brother is a member of the munster rugby supporters club and has big connections to the munster team and can barely get his hands on a ticket, simply not true what your saying!
    where magners league is conserned then maybe, we usually get a full house for them but sometimes floats around the 22,000 mark for the smaller games

not true at all, im a steward in thomond park and we always know what the attendance is and let me tell you EVERY hk match is a sellout! fact! my brother is a member of the munster rugby supporters club and has big connections to the munster team and can barely get his hands on a ticket, simply not true what your saying!
    where magners league is conserned then maybe, we usually get a full house for them but sometimes floats around the 22,000 mark for the smaller games

Eh? I was at the Ospreys game in the Q/F last year. 6 of us walked up to the game 2 had tickets and the other 4 picked up tickets from people around the ground. I picked up my tickets on the Friday from a contact I know who had plenty of them left. The capacity of thomond park is pretty much spot on to cater for the crowd, anybody who really wants a ticket for a group game will get one. A few "diehards" will probably be left short for the quarter final, but you always have people giving out that they can't get tickets, without even trying to look for them! Some numpty was on the radio last week saying it was impossible to get tickets for the Italy game at the weekend ffs. Also the attendence figures for the ML games etc include season ticket holders, regardless of whether or not they turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

at least they will fill it this weekend for visit of Carlow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

considering the amount of money that has been spent on the gaelic grounds over the last 25 years, the amount of income from the mackey draw etc this should be a top class stadium. at one stage the mackey stand had the water from the roof of it falling on to the pitch. when munster had no home a few years ago while thomond was being developed the gaa had a fantastic chance of making real money. no they spurened it. has any one the figures for the amount of money invested in the gaelic grounds for the past 20 years, also the amount spent on thomond park.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Mackey stand is a sham.

Aidric wrote: »
    The Mackey stand is a sham.

The Mackey Stand is pretty much a disaster alright. The best thing would be to knock it and build a new covered stand but I can't see finance being available for a project like that for a long time. Also it was built 25 years ago, things didn't really progress in terms of modern stadium design until the mid 90's, so in one sense they were a victim of being
    ahead of there time. Plus you have to remember if they do try to redevelop that stand they will be severly restricted by the planning authorities in the relation to the height they can put the roof at.

Thomond Park is a fantastic stadium and a credit to the city/Munster Rugby, but if Limerick GAA tried to build a stand of that height they would be laughed out of the planning office.

Anyways these arguments have been rehased on here time and time again, all we are doing is giving those tools of councillors the publicity they crave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always thought that they built the MacKey Stand at the wrong side at the time, I remember being at a match there before and the seat in front of mine was higher than mine was. But, I think it's a credit to Limerick to have 2 top class stadiums and race course, there isn't as many cities in Ireland that can say that

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

flutered wrote: »
    when munster had no home a few years ago while thomond was being developed the gaa had a fantastic chance of making real money. no they spurened it. has any one the figures for the amount of money invested in the gaelic grounds for the past 20 years, also the amount spent on thomond park.

But thats the point I was making in my previous post - when Thomond Park was being redeveloped, it was not up to the GAA to offer their stadium to Munster Rugby. Surely Munster would be expected to make the first move. If the GAA did make the first move and offer the Gaelic Grounds there would be plenty of Rugby heads shouting down the GAA telling them that they are not getting a single euro of Munster Rugby money and calling them the Grab All Association etc etc. Then on the other hand, when the did not offer their stadium and they did not rule it out for Munster Rugby there are plenty of people like you saying that they missed their opportunity or they spurned it!! The GAA just cant win!! To answer your other question,they spent 12m euro on the Gaelic Grounds in 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

tommy249 wrote: »
    But thats the point I was making in my previous post - when Thomond Park was being redeveloped, it was not up to the GAA to offer their stadium to Munster Rugby. Surely Munster would be expected to make the first move. If the GAA did make the first move and offer the Gaelic Grounds there would be plenty of Rugby heads shouting down the GAA telling them that they are not getting a single euro of Munster Rugby money and calling them the Grab All Association etc etc. Then on the other hand, when the did not offer their stadium and they did not rule it out for Munster Rugby there are plenty of people like you saying that they missed their opportunity or they spurned it!! The GAA just cant win!! To answer your other question,they spent 12m euro on the Gaelic Grounds in 2004

the question i am asking is how much money has being spent on the gaelic grounds in the last 20 years,
    how much money has been spent on thomond park during the same period of time,
    i am trying to figure out who got he best bang for their buck
    or tho put it mildly who spent their money most wisely
    edited to say i am a floating sports supporter, i do not confine my buck to any one sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cremeegg wrote: »
    at least they will fill it this weekend for visit of Carlow;)

Oiii!Dont be knocking the footballers now.
    Unfotunately though there will be a woeful crowd this Saturday and at all Limerick football home games for the rest of the year.
    I do think Limerick GAA could do with creating a better atmosphere at the matches. Maybe pump a bit of music in,slap a bit of paint on the walls,give out Limerick flags to those attending.

Personally I think the QF should be held in Thomand park as its the home of Munster rugby.

Advertisement