Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intending on buying 1st DSLR - advice needed

• 06-02-2010 4:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭

I've had this bridge camera, the Canon Powershot S3 IS since March 2007 and want to upgrade to a DSLR.

I am knowledgeable of the camera controls and what they do, and have a fair idea of photograph techniques and so on, so I've had enough and want to upgrade.

I was considering the Canon 500D with kit lens on ebay for about €563 with the conversion rates from sterling. I'm aware it's refurbished and presume it's as good as new?

I also hear everyone here yapping about the 50mm 1.8 and wanted a piece of that too. :pac:

I might consider getting a zoom lens instead of one of the other lens but I'm really lost on those and they seem very expensive, is image stabilization essential?

About flashes, should I go for the 480 Ex II or 580 Ex II and is there much of a difference?

I like to take landscapes and macros, would any of the above mentioned lenses suffice or would I need to consider other lenses, the thing is I'm on a pretty tight budget.

I'm half asleep from researching possibilities all night, if I remember any more details I'll post it tomorrow. Hope the experts on here will give some quality recommendations, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

How fixed are you on Canon? Is the reason for going for the 500D to have video?

If you'd consider other brands and don't want video then there are plenty of better other options on a tight budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Well not particularly I was thinking about the Canon 40D too, it's more expensive. What are the other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

I'm not an expert by any means, but I came from a similar situation to yourself -- I was using a Canon G9 for a while before I made the step up to DSLR about a year ago.

I didn't really look into other brands, to be perfectly honest, but what I gathered (from lurking here and from other sites) was that Canon and Nikon are the big brands, with the biggest resale market if you do need to offload something. Between the two of them, it really comes down to tiny differences/preferences. If you're reasonably ignorant (as I was!) the differences are practically non-existent. Hence, I stayed with Canon because I was used to the system/software.

As for which to go for -- I think the general advice is to get the best you can afford, even if it means stretching a little bit.

The usual bits of advice are A) it's the photographer who makes good pictures, not the camera, and B) the lens is much more important than the body, so better to get an average body and a good lens than vice versa.

I was looking between the 450D, 1000D and 500D when I first got my DSLR -- I don't know what the market is like now, but I remember the 500D being fairly overpriced for what it offered (IIRC, the general consensus on the internet then was to spend on a 40D instead of a 500D, unless you REALLY wanted video). Personally, I plumped for the 1000D, which suited me fine as I was a complete beginner -- it's only now that I'm thinking of upgrading the body, as I'm starting to notice some limitations.

Can't speak to any other brands, however, and it's entirely possible that something I've said above is completely false... I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable posters to point out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Adriatic wrote: »
    Well not particularly I was thinking about the Canon 40D too, it's more expensive. What are the other options?

I was thinking of a Nikon D5000 with an 18-55mm lens and a sigma 70-300mm lens. I have experience with high end rifle scopes, but little with cameras.

I want to take pics of wildlife and moving images etc. as well as normal wedding birthday party stuff etc.
    Am i getting the best camera to start with??

All help on lenses etc appreciated. My Budget is €500ish cam and €200ish lenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP, as I've said regarding the 500D a few times now, unless you think you're really going to use the video then spend the money on either a better body (in the xxD line) or a used body and spend the balance on glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Best bet is to go to a shop and try them out in your hands. There's really very little difference in brands though. The 50 1.8 is a great lens. You could use that with macro tubes as a cheap macro option? And the kit will do you fine for the time being for landscapes. Just wondering why you're thinking about a flash unit already? They're expensive and difficult to get the hang of, so unless there's a specific need straight away I'd be holding off on that and learning the new camera and lenses first.

No big need for zooms as yet by the sound of it :)

I'm tempted to go the other way and get a Canon EOS 7D however it would really burst the bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That'd be pointless.

Advertisement